Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta ST Stolen?? Keyless entry

MrTKingston

I saw on Facebook and Twitter that there's been a spike of car thefts on the MK8 Fiesta's and ST's where criminals are intercepting the key fobs signal and unlocking the cars then stealing them.

I bought one of those key signal blocking pouches and it's honestly a real life safer.... tested it out by putting key into the pouch and trying to unlock my car but it doesn't work. would highly recommend anyone else buying one. I got mine from https://blockmysignal.co.uk/  really good quality!

• Like 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keyless-Entry-Car-Key-Fob-Signal-Blocker-Guard-Protector-Faraday-Bag-Pouch-Black/163361843379?hash=item26091fe8b3:g:gTsAAOSw7Vtb5Eon

Same item two quid cheaper

On the mk8 owners can upgrade the keys to the new more secure ones that go to sleep if not moved.
The problem with standard keyless entry keys is that they constantly give out a low power pulsed signal at 433Mhz which is what modern thieves pick up and relay to the car so when the door handle is touched the relayed signal mimics the key being in proximity to the car.
I always use a small key box (keypress) and lock my keys in it which effectively blocks the signal (verified using a key signal tester).
I now have the new type of key so am doubly protected.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use a Faraday pouch for mine too.  Except when the car has annoyed me... on those days it can take it's chances 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

On the mk8 owners can upgrade the keys to the new more secure ones that go to sleep if not moved.
The problem with standard keyless entry keys is that they constantly give out a low power pulsed signal at 433Mhz which is what modern thieves pick up and relay to the car so when the door handle is touched the relayed signal mimics the key being in proximity to the car.
I always use a small key box (keypress) and lock my keys in it which effectively blocks the signal (verified using a key signal tester).

I have keyless entry on my mk8, unsure how to tell what type of key it is as got it from ford direct, do you know how much it is to replace to the newer key?

I believe it's about £75.
First buy a cheap key tester in case you already have the new type of keys.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

I believe it's about £75.
First buy a cheap key tester in case you already have the new type of keys.

I’m thinking they must look slightly different so will try to find some images, I will get one of them Faraday pouches to be safe though.

Thanks

• Like 1

Actually thinking about it, wouldn’t I be able to test if I have the sleep mode, by placing my key fob next to my car door on the ground and waiting a minute to see if it sleeps and try the door handle?

My car was registered May 2019 so would like to think it is the new sleep mode fob, as Ford states it’s a standard feature on all keyless fobs now.

• Like 1

You can turn keyless entry off on the mk8 in the menus.

• Like 2

I have a wallet that act as a Faraday pouch.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MarksST said:

You can turn keyless entry off on the mk8 in the menus.

Didn't know that.  I'll have to go hunting for the entry next time I'm out in it. 

• Like 1

I’m thinking they must look slightly different so will try to find some images, I will get one of them faraday pouches to be safe though.
Thanks
I haven't noticed any visual difference between standard keyless and sleeping fobs (apart from the back cover but that's purely because they now add the ST logo for ST owners).

10 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I haven't noticed any visual difference between standard keyless and sleeping fobs (apart from the back cover but that's purely because they now add the ST logo for ST owners).

Branding the keyfob seems like such a daft idea, allows thieves to immediately recognise an ST key amongst any other Ford fobs. 🤦‍♂️

I have an ST keying as my fob isn't ST branded! But then again my Mk7 ST-2 doesn't have keyless entry...

16 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

How does one upgrade their key? 

22 minutes ago, Sly said:

How does one upgrade their key? 

Ford dealer, it's like £150 a key iirc.

New key, and an update and re-program of the car.

I just kept mine in a shielded pouch for my Fiesta. I have to say it is nicer not having to worry so much with the new sleepy keys on my Focus, but I still would rather the extra hassle than pay £300 or whatever.

29 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Ford dealer, it's like £150 a key iirc.

New key, and an update and re-program of the car.

I just kept mine in a shielded pouch for my Fiesta. I have to say it is nicer not having to worry so much with the new sleepy keys on my Focus, but I still would rather the extra hassle than pay £300 or whatever.

Will I get the new key? I am due to collect my new 20 plate Fiesta titanium this weekend. 

1 minute ago, Sly said:

Will I get the new key? I am due to collect my new 20 plate Fiesta titanium this weekend. 

Yes assuming it's been built in the last 6 months, (as in not an old stock car).

Just now, alexp999 said:

Yes assuming it's been built in the last 6 months.

Any idea how to confirm this? What are the difference between the keys visual wise? 

1 minute ago, Sly said:

Any idea how to confirm this? What are the difference between the keys visual wise? 

I don't know any way to tell from the outside.

If you have a VIN, you can check the build date on Etis, or just ask your dealer what the build date and model year is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

I don't know any way to tell from the outside.

If you have a VIN, you can check the build date on Etis, or just ask your dealer what the build date and model year is.

Mmhmm, hope it is within the last 6 months now haha.

Just now, Sly said:

It might be last April they changed it, I just said 6 months out of caution.

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It might be last April they changed it, I just said 6 months out of caution.

I see an article dating back to April 2019 about the new key fobs, I'm going to have to test mine, as Im not willing to pay £150 for a new fob, having 2 key fobs would be very pricey, better off just getting a pouch.

Can anyone confirm if I left my key on the ground next to car and waiting a minute, that would put it to sleep, or is it active regardless of motion when within 2 metres of car?

1 minute ago, mitch84 said:

I see an article dating back to April 2019 about the new key fobs, I'm going to have to test mine, as Im not willing to pay £150 for a new fob, having 2 key fobs would be very pricey, better off just getting a pouch.

Can anyone confirm if I left my key on the ground next to car and waiting a minute, that would put it to sleep, or is it active regardless of motion when within 2 metres of car?

It should go to sleep even if in range of the car afaik.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club