Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Management Light P2002

Stuart04

Hi,

New member here, so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place..

I have a 2009 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI.  I have been having issues with the engine management light constantly appearing.  I regularly drive 50miles for work, so could only assume that the regents are not happening.  I (assume) force through a static regen via forscan/OBD2.  After the alternator failed, I asked the garage to do a carbon clean which they did, but he did mention that his system failed to read the part of the ECU to tell him when that last regens etc were performed suggesting that it may have been removed??  I am still getting P2002 faults.... Could this be a pressure differential issue, or an issue with the ECU?  Does anyone know what my options are in regards to keeping the car in decent running order...

Many thanks all

Stuart

Next step would be to check the pressure differential through Forscan, both at idle and while driving to see what pressures the PCM is receiving.  

I presume that I would need a pressure gauge for that??

6 minutes ago, Stuart04 said:

I presume that I would need a pressure gauge for that??

No, Forscan reads live data so you can see the figures the PCM gets.

Brilliant thanks.... Could you give me an idea on the readings I should expect on a healthy setup please,??

It should be very low at idle, almost 0.  Then rise as you put more load on the engine, peaking at around 10kPa with your foot down hard accelerating onto the motorway for example.  Then drop to somewhere at the lower end while cruising.

Ideally the lower the better, but if it's always 0 or stuck on 1 single number permanently we'll know there's a fault for example.  

You can watch the datastream as a graph which is probably the best way to do it.  Add a few other parameters as well, such as RPM and MPH so you can tell exactly what's happening and when.

Not all versions of this engine have PID's for distance since last regeneration and soot load, so that may be the reason your garage could not find them.

As Tom says it is the differential pressure that is the important one.

If the differential pressure is too high then FORScan or anything else may not allow a forced regeneration to take place for safety reasons.

Thanks all... I will crack open the laptop and reader in the next couple of days and have a look.  Thanks for your help 

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 12:27 PM, TomsFocus said:

It should be very low at idle, almost 0.  Then rise as you put more load on the engine, peaking at around 10kPa with your foot down hard accelerating onto the motorway for example.  Then drop to somewhere at the lower end while cruising.

Ideally the lower the better, but if it's always 0 or stuck on 1 single number permanently we'll know there's a fault for example.  

You can watch the datastream as a graph which is probably the best way to do it.  Add a few other parameters as well, such as RPM and MPH so you can tell exactly what's happening and when.

Sorry to jump on this thread, but if the differential pressure is permanently on a fixed number, in your opinion what would this indicate? Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, lisa.nash92 said:

Sorry to jump on this thread, but if the differential pressure is permanently on a fixed number, in your opinion what would this indicate? Thanks. 

DPF core has likely been smashed through.  

Have to remember the sensor doesn't measure overall pressure in the exhaust.  It only measures the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the DPF core.  If there's no core present to create a restriction, there won't be any difference in pressure.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

DPF core has likely been smashed through.  

Have to remember the sensor doesn't measure overall pressure in the exhaust.  It only measures the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the DPF core.  If there's no core present, there won't be any difference in pressure.

Hmm okay, I was worried about that 🤦 

I completed a successful static regeneration using forscan so thought that was 'proof' that the DPF must have its core, am I right in thinking that's not entirely right? Thanks again. 

3 minutes ago, lisa.nash92 said:

Hmm okay, I was worried about that 🤦 

I completed a successful static regeneration using forscan so thought that was 'proof' that the DPF must have its core, am I right in thinking that's not entirely right? Thanks again. 

I've never tried to regen a DPF without a core so can't say for definite.  I would expect the DPF temp sensor to read too high and stop the regen but that may not always be the case.

The only way to prove 100% that it's still in there would be to remove the DPF and have a look.  The 2.0 Mondeo DPF is a straight pipe so it's easy to see inside (and smash through with not cuts to the can), unlike the 1.6TDCi DPF which has bent ends so can only be removed by cutting open.

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've never tried to regen a DPF without a core so can't say for definite.  I would expect the DPF temp sensor to read too high and stop the regen but that may not always be the case.

The only way to prove 100% that it's still in there would be to remove the DPF and have a look.  The 2.0 Mondeo DPF is a straight pipe so it's easy to see inside (and smash through with not cuts to the can), unlike the 1.6TDCi DPF which has bent ends so can only be removed by cutting open.

That's great, thanks for the info! If I'm taking the DPF off the car anyway, if it does indeed still have its core, am I able to follow other advise I've heard and blast it's insides with a pressure washer to try and remove any ash residue? 

1 minute ago, lisa.nash92 said:

That's great, thanks for the info! If I'm taking the DPF off the car anyway, if it does indeed still have its core, am I able to follow other advise I've heard and blast it's insides with a pressure washer to try and remove any ash residue? 

Yeah you can do.  Just make sure it's completely clean before you're finished as any leftover ash will turn to concrete after it's been mixed with water. 

If it is full of ash, you should be getting a high pressure differential reading though.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club