Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the dreaded power steering

dotman69

Hi all. Ive just had the steering assist malfunction warning, on my Focus 2012 estate. Before I spend 2000 quid having it put right, ive had my battery checked. The battery was giving out 11.99v. I was just wondering if this would be low enough for the steering assist warning to come on? Any advice would be great. (the car wasn't running when checked) 

On most cars 12v would be ok, but on the low side. The battery is nearing the end of its life. Take the battery out and give it a full charge. Put it back in and see if the fault goes away. A new battery when fully charged will be around 12.9v. 

Also, check the battery is charging with the engine running. You should get 14.4v across it. Does the warning light stay on all the time?

If it does you could buy a code reader and clear the message.

• Like 1

thank for the reply. the warning light only came on the once, about half a mile from home. it hasn't come on since. ive started it twice, and driven it about 10miles,since it came on. 

If the power steering is working ok there is probably nothing to worry about. Might be worth draining the fluid from the reservoir and putting in new fluid. The pump might be working harder with the old fluid, new fluid wont hurt. The fluid should be a pink colour. 

If the battery and fluid are changed and the problem remains, I think you are getting a false error.

1 hour ago, Kevin#95 said:

......... The fluid should be a pink colour. ........

The only pink colored fluid I've got in my car is the cooling fluid, the power steering fluid in my car has a greenish brown color.

The fluid container is fitted under the right side head light unit, so you'll have to remove the unit to see the container and check if the level is alright.

14 hours ago, dotman69 said:

...........ive had my battery checked. The battery was giving out 11.99v...........

The battery is fine what's 0,01 volt? If the car stars normal there's no worry but do check the voltage when the engine is running it should be somewhere between the 13.8 and 14.5 volts.

Thanks Kevin. Ill give it a go. Erick found it thanks. they don't make easy to get to, for someone like me who knows nothing about cars.

A 2012 Focus should be a Focus MK3 (the production of the MK2.5 stopped early 2011). On a Focus MK3 There is no pump or fluid.

A 2012 Focus (MK3) has the Ford EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering). The EPAS steering rack is full electric. It basically consists of an electric actuator motor that is connected to the steering rack ball nut mechanism by a toothed belt. The rotational input of the steering wheel is measured by a sensor. Based on this information the integrated control module of the steering wheel (PSCM) controls the electric actuator motor.

vjSupoZ.jpg

lwFUgPD.jpg

Compared to conventional hydraulic power steering or electro/hydraulic systems the EPAS system has many advantages. The system is very compact and because the system has a lot less moving parts the system is maintenance free and a lot more energy efficient. This helps to improve fuel economy.

Unfortunately the Ford EPAS system also has its problems. The PSCM module is known to be extremely sensitive for low battery voltage. If the PSCM detects a low battery voltage during the wake up process the power steering will be disabled and a warning message will be shown on the instrument cluster display. Ford released software updates to improve this. 

Electronic failure of the PSCM however is quite common. If the problems persist while the battery condition and state of charge of the battery are good and the PSCM has the latest available software installed.the problem will definetely be caused by a defective PSCM. Because the PSCM is an integral part of the EPAS steering rack this means that the complete EPAS steering rack needs to be replaced.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

A 2012 Focus should be a Focus MK3 (the production of the MK2.5 stopped early 2011).

@ JW1982: It could be a MK2 sold later than the MK3 came out,

@ dotman69 do you have a photo of your car and engine bay you could post?

I think the best option is to replace the battery, as things are pointing in that direction. Hopefully it is not the pcm module or epas system.

Thank for replying everyone. Going to change to battery. hope it works. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club