Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault Code P2002

lisa.nash92

Hi, total newbie to all this so after some advise if possible 😊 I try to do most things on my own with abit of input from my dad. Bought a 58 reg 2.0tdci 140bhp Mondeo, it's now throwing out code P2002: diesel particulate filter below threshold bank 1. I've changed the hoses from the dpf to the dps and they were completely perished, cleared the code but within a day code popped back up, after experimenting with forscan I've managed to check the dpf pressure and it's giving me a reading of 0.0kpa, car on ignition off but still remains at 0.0kpa with the ignition on and revs up to 3000rmp no change to pressure? Does this seem indicative of a knackered DPS? Not sure if it's relevant or not but it's also having intermittent difficult starts, cranks and sometimes fires up other times can hear it draining battery so have to stop and give it a minute (I actually changed the battery as a just incase to begin with but that's now been crossed off the possibility list!) And advise or direction of possible look at's would be appreciated. Thanks. 

On 3/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, lisa.nash92 said:

Hi, total newbie to all this so after some advise if possible 😊 I try to do most things on my own with abit of input from my dad. Bought a 58 reg 2.0tdci 140bhp Mondeo, it's now throwing out code P2002: diesel particulate filter below threshold bank 1. I've changed the hoses from the dpf to the dps and they were completely perished, cleared the code but within a day code popped back up, after experimenting with forscan I've managed to check the dpf pressure and it's giving me a reading of 0.0kpa, car on ignition off but still remains at 0.0kpa with the ignition on and revs up to 3000rmp no change to pressure? Does this seem indicative of a knackered DPS? Not sure if it's relevant or not but it's also having intermittent difficult starts, cranks and sometimes fires up other times can hear it draining battery so have to stop and give it a minute (I actually changed the battery as a just incase to begin with but that's now been crossed off the possibility list!) And advise or direction of possible look at's would be appreciated. Thanks. 

It shouldn't be possible to generate a "real" pressure reading of 0.0 KPA with the engine running, there's always going to be some back pressure due to the internal structure of the DPF.   It appears that the ECU isn't receiving a reading (at all) from the DPF, I'm not intimately familiar with the technical config of your DPF but the sensor AND the wiring loom it attaches to would be my suggestion as the next place to look.

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

It shouldn't be possible to generate a "real" pressure reading of 0.0 KPA with the engine running, there's always going to be some back pressure due to the internal structure of the DPF.   It appears that the ECU isn't receiving a reading (at all) from the DPF, I'm not intimately familiar with the technical config of your DPF but the sensor AND the wiring loom it attaches to would be my suggestion as the next place to look.

Thanks for that, will have a look and check the connection. Might sound like a dumb question but I've seen on other forums people saying they have washed there sensors and let them dry out before refitting them, is this advisable? And if so do I need to reset the learned values of the pressure sensor through forscan? Another little hiccup, I did notice for a split second upon firing up the engine I managed to get a reading of 0.1kpa but it was momentary before it resumed it's 0.0 regardless of rpm ect? Thanks again Lisa.

Are you sure it's still got a DPF core?  The sensor only measures pressure difference between the top and bottom of the DPF can, not total exhaust pressure.  So if the DPF has been gutted out, you will get a pressure differential of 0.0.

If it has got a DPF, the pressure pipes would be the next thing I'd check, they perish and crack.  If they're fine, the sensor would be the next step as Damian suggests.

54 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Are you sure it's still got a DPF core?  The sensor only measures pressure difference between the top and bottom of the DPF can, not total exhaust pressure.  So if the DPF has been gutted out, you will get a pressure differential of 0.0.

If it has got a DPF, the pressure pipes would be the next thing I'd check, they perish and crack.  If they're fine, the sensor would be the next step as Damian suggests.

Is there a way to check if the dpf has been gutted out (I only bought this car 3 weeks ago, dpf's are new to me and this issue popped up the day after purchase from private seller! Starting to think I've been had 😔) I changed the pressure pipes and indeed they were completely perished but it's not rectified my issue, I'm inclined to think the sensor may be the issue, just trying to source some more experienced advise around this issue before condemning and changing the sensor to possibly find I still have the code present and active 😅 thanks again! 

Hi. If you're having cranking/battery draining problems then to give a bit more longevity to the battery charge, when you need to  crank lots, then locate and pull out the glow plug fuse... don't know where it is on the mk4,  but on the mk3 it's a LARGE yellow 60 amp fuse.  Just to explain a bit further, when you turn on the ignition, the glowplugs get energised for 30 seconds-even if the engine has started, and that's a lot of amps if both the gplugs AND starter (both high drain items) are competing for what's in the battery

1 hour ago, nicam49 said:

Hi. If you're having cranking/battery draining problems then to give a bit more longevity to the battery charge, when you need to  crank lots, then locate and pull out the glow plug fuse... don't know where it is on the mk4,  but on the mk3 it's a LARGE yellow 60 amp fuse.  Just to explain a bit further, when you turn on the ignition, the glowplugs get energised for 30 seconds-even if the engine has started, and that's a lot of amps if both the gplugs AND starter (both high drain items) are competing for what's in the battery. 

I could try this but if removing the glow plug fuse indeed stops the car struggling to start I'm still alittle confused as to what my issue is? As being a diesel surely it requires the glow plugs, correct me if I'm wrong? Or am I missing something obvious like removing that fuse and the car starts perfect = glow plugs are shot? Total novice here guys 😂 thanks in advance! 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, lisa.nash92 said:

Is there a way to check if the dpf has been gutted out (I only bought this car 3 weeks ago, dpf's are new to me and this issue popped up the day after purchase from private seller! Starting to think I've been had 😔) I changed the pressure pipes and indeed they were completely perished but it's not rectified my issue, I'm inclined to think the sensor may be the issue, just trying to source some more experienced advise around this issue before condemning and changing the sensor to possibly find I still have the code present and active 😅 thanks again! 

No...the best part about gutting the DPF is that the MOT tester can't tell you've done it! :wink:

You can check for extra weld lines on the DPF can but if it's been done well even they should be hard to spot.

I wouldn't personally pull the glow plug fuse on a DPF equipped car.  The car will start without them but it's likely to be smoky for a while, adding unnecessary extra particulate matter to the DPF...of course, you won't see any extra from the tail pipe if the DPF is still intact.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

No...the best part about gutting the DPF is that the MOT tester can't tell you've done it! :wink:

You can check for extra weld lines on the DPF can but if it's been done well even they should be hard to spot.

I wouldn't personally pull the glow plug fuse on a DPF equipped car.  The car will start without them but it's likely to be smoky for a while, adding unnecessary extra particulate matter to the DPF...of course, you won't see any extra from the tail pipe if the DPF is still intact.

Great, thanks for that! I was dubious about pulling the glow plug fuse so have left that alone for the time. I ran a forced regen on the car earlier and it completed successfully, fan's run, rev'd up and smelt ect so am I right in assuming that suggests the dfp hasn't been gutted out? Cheers again. 

You're teaching your Dad a thing or two here Lisa xxx. I'm clueless when it comes to diesels.

Following this thread with interest 🙂

10 hours ago, lisa.nash92 said:

Great, thanks for that! I was dubious about pulling the glow plug fuse so have left that alone for the time. I ran a forced regen on the car earlier and it completed successfully, fan's run, rev'd up and smelt ect so am I right in assuming that suggests the dfp hasn't been gutted out? Cheers again. 

Is it reading any pressure differential now?  How long did it take roughly? 

The regen should finish once the pressure has dropped, if there's no pressure to start with it might see that and think 'excellent, job done' and finish after just a minute or so?   

I've never tried it as running a regen without a DPF core is dangerous.  It causes huge amounts of engine bay heat and in some cases could start a fire. 

However, the DPF temp sensor should sense the overheating and cut the regen short (assuming that hasn't been mapped out!), so the fact yours completed without issue does suggest that there's still a DPF core in there to me at least.  I can't be 100% sure though.

On the plus side, the sensors themselves are cheap and easy to replace so it looks like that's the next step.  The same sensor is used on loads of cars so if you know anyone with a similar car, you could borrow theirs to check before buying one.  

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is it reading any pressure differential now?  How long did it take roughly? 

The regen should finish once the pressure has dropped, if there's no pressure to start with it might see that and think 'excellent, job done' and finish after just a minute or so?   

I've never tried it as running a regen without a DPF core is dangerous.  It causes huge amounts of engine bay heat and in some cases could start a fire. 

However, the DPF temp sensor should sense the overheating and cut the regen short (assuming that hasn't been mapped out!), so the fact yours completed without issue does suggest that there's still a DPF core in there to me at least.  I can't be 100% sure though.

On the plus side, the sensors themselves are cheap and easy to replace so it looks like that's the next step.  The same sensor is used on loads of cars so if you know anyone with a similar car, you could borrow theirs to check before buying one.  

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it had no impact on the pressure still giving me a reading of 0.0kpa, I then also tried a reset of the learned values on the DPS (after completing the regen to see if that would maybe 'kick the sensor into life' sort of thing but no still happily giving me a 0.0 reading) 

I was a little nervous of running a forced regen being unsure if the dpf had been gutted but I did keep a fire extinguisher to hand 😂 it took about 25 minutes to complete and seemed to do everything I've seen and watched, it also reset my last regen back to 0km ago. 

Unfortunately I'm the only one in the family with a diesel engine but as you mentioned luckily these DP sensors aren't a break the bank component so I think it may be worth changing it and hoping I've found my source 🤞 

Will update as I go, and thanks again! 

• Like 1

Around 25 minutes without bursting into flames certainly sounds as if it's still got a DPF then! :biggrin:

Fingers crossed for a new sensor!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Around 25 minutes without bursting into flames certainly sounds as if it's still got a DPF then! :biggrin:

Fingers crossed for a new sensor!

Fantastic! I was definitely on tender hooks 😂 

Will keep you posted either way as hopefully not but may still need your wisdom 🙈👍 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 10:40 AM, lisa.nash92 said:

Fantastic! I was definitely on tender hooks 😂 

Will keep you posted either way as hopefully not but may still need your wisdom 🙈👍 

Any news with your problem? The new sensor solved it? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club