Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Edge owner Gearbox issue

mrwillo

Hi all

I've had my Edge about a month now after browsing this forum for a while gathering info. I eventually went for a Electric Spice coloured 66 plate Edge Sport in the end

First thing I did was changing my lights to LED ones. Its weird getting used to the adaptive lights. Brilliant when no other cars around and seems pretty dim when they switch to normal ones. Was just reading the other thread that the lights need reseating so might try that

The more worrying issue though is when I try to overtake on the motorway I press the accelerator and the revs rise but nothing seems to happen. My foot is on the floor and the car starts to decrease in speed. It happened on the drive home but I was playing with the cruise control at the time so thought I'd pressed something wrong.

But happened again the other day. I have to use the paddle shift to change gear for the car to start accelerating again (albeit slowly) Then today, the car at times refused to change up unless I either blipped the throttle or again used the paddle shift

I have booked it into Ford to look at (although the dealer I bought from is a Lexus and miles away) so hoping its something simple like low transmission fluid.

Anybody else had a similar issue?

1 hour ago, mrwillo said:

Hi all

I've had my Edge about a month now after browsing this forum for a while gathering info. I eventually went for a Electric Spice coloured 66 plate Edge Sport in the end

First thing I did was changing my lights to LED ones. Its weird getting used to the adaptive lights. Brilliant when no other cars around and seems pretty dim when they switch to normal ones. Was just reading the other thread that the lights need reseating so might try that

The more worrying issue though is when I try to overtake on the motorway I press the accelerator and the revs rise but nothing seems to happen. My foot is on the floor and the car starts to decrease in speed. It happened on the drive home but I was playing with the cruise control at the time so thought I'd pressed something wrong.

But happened again the other day. I have to use the paddle shift to change gear for the car to start accelerating again (albeit slowly) Then today, the car at times refused to change up unless I either blipped the throttle or again used the paddle shift

I have booked it into Ford to look at (although the dealer I bought from is a Lexus and miles away) so hoping its something simple like low transmission fluid.

Anybody else had a similar issue?

Check you haven't set (or previous owner) the speed limiter.
My Edge would accelerate to 70 no issues but then seemed to hit a brick wall, I could only (where safe) get any more speed by flooring the accelerator this overrode the speed limiter.
Removed the speed limiter limit (turned off) and all good.
I might be barking up the wrong tree though.
good luck.

Cheers for the reply. I think this was the case the first time it happened but I don’t think it’s the issue this time. 

Disconnect the battery for half an hour. It will forget all the previous owners settings and drive stratagy. It will drive a bit weird for a few hundred miles whilst it learns your driving style and then hopefully be OK without any intervention from a Dealer.

H

• 1 month later...

Update on this. It turned out that the last major service the transmission oil wasn’t changed and and oil change sorted that. Only problem now is that every now and then the car won’t change up and Transmission Limited Function would flag up. I bought myself a WiFi OBDII connector and plugged in on trips as no code would flag up and eventually when it happened again I managed to record the following 

P284B ECU Transmission Control Unit
Pending Test Failed since last DTC clear
OBDII Transmission shift fork C shift fork stuck

P0771 ECU Transmission Control Unit
Status Test Failed since last DTC Clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle
OBDII Shift Solenoid (SS) E performance or stuck off
Ford Shift Solenoid E Performance

P0766 ECU Transmission Control Unit
Status Test Failed since last DTC Clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle
OBDII Shift Solenoid (SS) D performance or stuck off
Ford Shift Solenoid D Performance

I’m hoping that it’s not a new gearbox as only had the car a couple of months and was wondering if they used the right oil!

I sent you a PM for your VIN.

H

Hello just brought a Ford Focus 1.8 09 plate drove for 5 mins now won’t start we thought it was a flat battery brought a new one no luck won’t start says engine malfunction now too code are 

d900 e510 and d147  I know this isn’t the right chat but please someone help wasted money so upset 

On 5/8/2020 at 9:01 PM, Jordandavis said:

Hello just brought a Ford Focus 1.8 09 plate drove for 5 mins now won’t start we thought it was a flat battery brought a new one no luck won’t start says engine malfunction now too code are 

d900 e510 and d147  I know this isn’t the right chat but please someone help wasted money so upset 

D900 is a non specific can communications interruption, not a real problem at all, it just means that since the last DTC read the battery has been disconnected, a jump start or a recharge has occurred.

E510 (U2510) Missing or invalid security data to PCM. (Possibly a throttle position sensor fault).

D147 may also be U11547 which reads Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Security.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting to the end of my tether with this car. I drove the car to and from work as had a mobile mechanic have a look and problem stopped but on the way home the orange spanner light came on and got the following codes

P1719
(ECU Transmission Control Unit)
Satus Pending
Ford: Engine Torque Signal

U0073
(ECU Transmission Control Unit)
Status Pending
OBD11 Control Module - data bus Off

Then today started car to see if would move as need it for work and check engine light came on after going round block then went into severe limp mode struggled to change gear jerking all over and just made it home. Had the messages Transmission malfunction service error, Pre Collision Assist Not Availible, Check Park Pilot, ESC service required all come up on dash and ABS and Traction control switched off managed to check for codes and some new ones today 

P2470(16)
(ECU Engine Control Unit)
Status Test Failed since last DTC Clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle Warning Indicator requested

U0001(00)
(ECU Engine Control Unit)
Status Confirmed Test Failed since last DTC Clear, 
Warning Indicator  requested 
OBD11 Controller area network CAN data bus high speed bus

U0001
(ECU Engine Control Unit
Status Confirmed
OBD11 Controller area network (CAN) data bus high speed bus

My Ford dealer said they are not open until mid June and not even sure if it'll make it there even though a mile away. Beginning to hate this car 😞

Hi mrwillo. I know its difficult in these pressing times to get your car looked at by a Ford Dealer. Most are open for urgent repairs and additionally if you can convince them you fall into one of the categories of 'key worker' they should be able to fit you in. If you are not just convince them you are!

You really need a transmission oil and filter change using Genuine Branded parts, the correct specification oil and a new filter. The Ford Dealer should be able to delete all the random codes and road test, if new codes come up theses can be investigated.

A large amount of random codes would suggest a low voltage battery or maybe even a water leak into a wiring joint.

I get criticism for this on here but these modern vehicles are really not suited to cheap code readers off the web or 'Mobile Mechanics' I'm sure there are some good  ones out there but I've never met one.

If you struggle to find a Dealer, PM me and I'll try and and help.

H

• Like 1

Hi mate. I did contact my nearest Ford as I am classed as a key worker and the car was booked in next Wednesday but they rang the other day and cancelled for some reason and they now can’t see it until June 16th so I’ll have to get the train in now

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club