Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 Ford Focus Key Reprogram

harrison_holmes_

Hi,

I've needed to replace my key, for some reason my car won't enter learning mode to reprogram the remote to the vehicle. I've tried all the variations of turning the key from 0-2 etc but still nothing. I've also replaced my fuses in the cabin and disconnected then reconnected my rf receiver in the headliner. 

Any ideas would be great appreciated it's a pain unlocking the car manuelly with the key.

Thanks

Yeh it’s a new battery, I’ve completely no idea why it won’t enter learning mode

battery in correctly and both contacts touching the battery?
Sometimes one of the contacts can jam just short of touching properly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help, yeh both contacts are touching the battery and then circuit bored and still nothing

Not sure if somewhere like Timpsons may have a signal tester to make sure the circuitry is working?
The boards can pack up / buttons break.
I have repaired a couple in my time and / or swapped boards, so doable if a bit fiddly.

So would you say it’s definitely a problem with the key and not anything else? I’ve only just bought the key off eBay aswell 🙄

Could be user error [emoji6]

Insert the ignition key and turn the key to position II without starting the car.
Turn the key from position II to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.
Turn the key back to 0 and remove from the ignition.
You should get a notification light and / or a tone.
The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds.
During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons.
The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED and / or a notification sound.
Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

Still nothing. I’ve also noticed when I position the key to II the cluster & fuel pump doesn’t kick in unless the key is turned a little bit past II without starting the car. It’s almost like there’s another position between II & III. Is this normal?

Sounds like a worn barrel to me.

2 hours ago, harrison_holmes_ said:

when I position the key to II the cluster & fuel pump doesn’t kick in unless the key is turned a little bit past II without starting the car. It’s almost like there’s another position between II & III. Is this normal?

Does not sound normal. A dodgy ignition switch will almost certainly upset the timed sequence of operations. It needs to switch on and off cleanly each time without false switch signals, to get the 4 times in 3 seconds bit.

I think I would try hot-wiring the contacts on the ignition switch. You would still need the key in the barrel for PATS, I think the remote programming sequence is disabled if the immobiliser is active, but the actual on-off switching can be done by another, good, switch.

A replacement switch & barrel would be an alternative.

Another tip is when trying the programming on the initial turn to II let the immobiliser light go out before commencing the other turns.
It could be that the programming phase won't kick in because the chip in the key hasn't been recognised yet.

7 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Does not sound normal. A dodgy ignition switch will almost certainly upset the timed sequence of operations. It needs to switch on and off cleanly each time without false switch signals, to get the 4 times in 3 seconds bit.

I think I would try hot-wiring the contacts on the ignition switch. You would still need the key in the barrel for PATS, I think the remote programming sequence is disabled if the immobiliser is active, but the actual on-off switching can be done by another, good, switch.

A replacement switch & barrel would be an alternative.

Thanks for the advice. If I replace the ignition switch does anything need programming? 

2 hours ago, harrison_holmes_ said:

If I replace the ignition switch does anything need programming? 

No programming needed. If you have to replace the barrel, then you may be able to get a kit that can be built up to match your key. Replacing the key would be harder, as the PATS (immobiliser) transponder is inside it.

The PATS receiver is a ring around the ignition key barrel, and there should be no need to replace this. Even if it had to be replaced, it is not coded itself, it just passes the codes to the instrument cluster (IC) and then on to the ECU. So for PATS, both the ECU & the IC must be programmed for the transponder in each key. So the ECU, the IC and a little capsule buried in the key handle PATS, not the ignition switch & mechanical barrel.

If you wanted to replace the barrel with a 2nd hand one with its own key, then you would have to deal with PATS. Either locate and swap over the capsules in the keys, if possible. Or Forscan on a windows laptop can re-programme PATS on a Mk2/2a Focus, but it is not a very simple operation.

I’ve ordered an ignition switch so I’ll swap it over. Hopefully it works 

• Like 2

Fixed! Thanks for the help 

• Like 2

So key programmed as well?

Yeh the key is programmed aswell 

• Like 1

Happy days [emoji106]

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club