Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Coronavirus-A More Serious Thread

Turvey

Actually perhaps we should all be issued with tazers to keep the morons at 2 metre distance. Lad at work suggested a cattle prod. 😃😃

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

Counting to ten helps. emoji2958.png

Sent from my SM-G965F

Too patient. I couldn't do your job. I would soon be hauled up before a disciplinary hearing .

The Government will be introducing identity cards before long, I don't need one, just presenting my shotgun certificate usually does the trick.

All these hooligan teenagers that are abusing the lockdown, coughing in the Police faces, setting light to supermarket delivery vans and attacking ambulances firstly need a damn good thrashing to within an inch of their lives and then taken into custody and drafted into the Army for a minimum of 5 years and fine their parents £1000 to help pay for their children's 're-education'.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Milkman said:

The Government will be introducing identity cards before long, I don't need one, just presenting my shotgun certificate usually does the trick.

All these hooligan teenagers that are abusing the lockdown, coughing in the Police faces, setting light to supermarket delivery vans and attacking ambulances firstly need a damn good thrashing to within an inch of their lives and then taken into custody and drafted into the Army for a minimum of 5 years and fine their parents £1000 to help pay for their children's 're-education'.

Not sure about sticking those fuds in the army tbh. Dangerous enough without access to and training with guns. 

Stick them out fruit picking for a few months.  There's vacancies there due to brexit and the hard labour might sort them out. 

Or send them out to the farmer who was on the news earlier having a shortage of labour to plant lettuce plants in the fields but I think sending them out to care homes to wipe the ***** of old folk would be more appropriate. Anyone seen the film 'Holes'?

On 3/24/2020 at 3:20 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ours have still been out with the camera vans this week as usual. Thought they might have had other priorities at present.

I should have phrased the above comment better. Clearly the emergency services have got other priorities but are having to devote resources to those who lack sense.  It seems some drivers are interpreting the current situation as a licence to use the almost deserted roads as a race track. Apparently the Met have reported cameras recording average speeds 50% over the limit, and while out doing our permitted shop yesterday we were overtaken at very high speed on a near deserted dual carriageway by several vehicles, including a Porsche 911. I was driving at bang on 70 and he passed me as if I was parked!😠

On 3/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, Nick Y said:

I always use thick plastic gloves (medical grade) when I go to fill up my car. I keep them on when I go in and pay by card. I rarely use cash. 
I also use the same gloves on ATM/payment keypads if I have to use them.
Once I've used the gloves, I thoroughly sanitise my hands using antiviral sprays/wipes which are medical grade and used in hospitals, clinics etc. 

Also, people going crazy for those hand gels are idiots. The hand gels are alcohol based and do not kill viruses like Covid-19. 

You've just described a perfect point about why you should not wear medical gloves out in public - cross contamination. Any fuel on that pump handle is now on your gloves, and that fuel will be transferred to a door handle, your wallet, the card machine, your wallet again, and possibly your keys. Now imagine that fuel is Coronavirus - you take off your gloves, sanitize your hands, but later on you'll handle your keys, or your wallet ungloved, and contaminate your hands. You'll then prepare food or touch your face and expose yourself to it.

The correct sequence is to fill with fuel, remove gloves, sanitize hands, lock car, go into the petrol station (sanitize hands again if you have to touch a door), pay (then sanitize hands again), exit (sanitize hands again before handling keys). You've then reduced the risk of cross contamination (yes a tad ridiculous but hopefully that's quite descriptive).

Alcohol hand sanitizer with a concentration of alcohol content above 60% kills Covid-19 as it has a lipid envelope. Alcohol hand gel doesn't kill viruses such as Norovirus as they don't have a lipid envelope. CDC (yes I know US) guidance states that non-alcohol based sanitizer may not actually kill Covid-19 as fast, or as effectively as alcohol based sanitizers.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, iantt said:

We now using medical grade wipes and foam sanitiser prior to getting to hand washing stations . Showed my partner what we were using and she said they were the same make  as she uses at the hospices . Unfortunately she is due to change jobs next week and go back in the NHS !! Bad timing or what! 

Careful using the medical grade wipes on your hands if at all possible - certain wipes (although stating on packaging are safe to use on hands) can cause contact dermatitis and various other temporary skin conditions if regularly used.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:40 PM, Milkman said:

All the staff at my local ASDA were all wearing rubber gloves yesterday. If anyone is worried about picking up this lurgy from the buttons on a card machine or the cashpoint, poke them with a long stylus or a short stick!. What about these store loyalty cards, I wonder if the till staff will refuse to handle them. 🤔

Use the end of my pen at work to press buttons where you don't know who else has touched (if not wearing gloves anyway), then sanitize later.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:23 PM, Milkman said:

The skins of fruit such as apples, oranges and the like has a spray coating on them which is a preservative to stop them rotting too soon before being sold, apples, grapes and other fruits and veg that you eat the skins of you should wash before eating and oranges, wash your hands after peeling. Even the spuds are sprayed with a chemical that stops them sprouting. Some fruits, soft fruits such as strawberries are irradiated to stop them rotting, gives them a longer shelf life, has anyone noticed how they lack in flavour?, they are picked before they are fully ripe. It's quite shocking what processes some of our supermarket foods go through, I believe myself that this is why there is so many allergies, autism and kids with learning difficulties out there nowadays and a lot of these foodstuffs are so clinically clean now that no-one is building up much immunity, the Human species as a result is getting weaker and that's why this latest virus effect and antibiotics not working.is the root of it.

Food for thought - why are there so many cases of dementia now? Is it just because more people are getting it? More people reaching old age? Or maybe more people are being diagnosed, whereas 20 years ago it'd have been "Ethel down the road is just old". The same applies to Autism - more awareness leads to more diagnoses. It's classed as a developmental disorder, but actual causes are still unknown.

The "spray coatings" on Apples and other fruits is a mix of food grade waxes and potatoes don't get covered with anything as they still sprout and some are still mucky from the field. Strawberries being irradiated? You stated the reason they have a longer shelf life - they're picked before they're ripe and either ripened before packaging or left to ripen themselves. Youtube Bananas being ripened.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:45 PM, Stoney871 said:

Counting to ten helps.

Hopefully you don't have to count to ten too often, but remembering this for when I need it. Virtual high five fellow front line bod!

A fantastic video showing how quickly contamination can spread 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Micro said:

You've just described a perfect point about why you should not wear medical gloves out in public - cross contamination. Any fuel on that pump handle is now on your gloves, and that fuel will be transferred to a door handle, your wallet, the card machine, your wallet again, and possibly your keys. Now imagine that fuel is Coronavirus - you take off your gloves, sanitize your hands, but later on you'll handle your keys, or your wallet ungloved, and contaminate your hands. You'll then prepare food or touch your face and expose yourself to it.

The correct sequence is to fill with fuel, remove gloves, sanitize hands, lock car, go into the petrol station (sanitize hands again if you have to touch a door), pay (then sanitize hands again), exit (sanitize hands again before handling keys). You've then reduced the risk of cross contamination (yes a tad ridiculous but hopefully that's quite descriptive).

Alcohol hand sanitizer with a concentration of alcohol content above 60% kills Covid-19 as it has a lipid envelope. Alcohol hand gel doesn't kill viruses such as Norovirus as they don't have a lipid envelope. CDC (yes I know US) guidance states that non-alcohol based sanitizer may not actually kill Covid-19 as fast, or as effectively as alcohol based sanitizers.

Careful using the medical grade wipes on your hands if at all possible - certain wipes (although stating on packaging are safe to use on hands) can cause contact dermatitis and various other temporary skin conditions if regularly used.

I don't handle my keys with the gloves on as I can lock the car and still fill up thanks to the Ford easy fuel system. I also should have mentioned that I have 2 pairs of the gloves on whilst filling the car. Then, one pair is removed, I go inside, pay, and then put the second set of gloves in the bin. Therefore there is no cross-contamination on anything. 

There are a few types of medical grade wipes which contain aloe vera and other moisturising agents. 

As for the hand sanitising gels, I've known for a long time that they don't kill viruses thanks to having severe contamination based OCD. I've been prepared for something like this to happen for over 15 years. 

Slightly off topic but I firmly believe that the increase in such afflictions such as dementia, Autism and other learning difficulty afflictions and the level of allergies we see nowadays is due to the chemical food preservatives intake ingested from all the processed food from supermarkets and fast food outlets that we now eat. I know that we hear more about it because of media reporting but pre-supermarket there were very few instances of all these multi allergies and Autism or was it that it was not brought to every-ones attention? I've said it before and probably will again, the Human species are getting weaker due to poor diet and lifestyle and if you live in an urban situation, pollution.

1 hour ago, Nick Y said:

As for the hand sanitising gels, I've known for a long time that they don't kill viruses thanks to having severe contamination based OCD. I've been prepared for something like this to happen for over 15 years. 

Alcohol based hand sanitizers DO kill viruses, just not all of them (lipid envelope). The best method for hand decontamination if unable to wash your hands (your wipes are also likely effective) is alcohol based hand sanitizer at the present time - sanitizers containing just Benzalkonium Chloride or other non-alcohol chemicals may work for killing SARS-COV-2 but are thought to work more slowly and with less efficacy.

Here's CDC, WHO and PHE guidance on the use of alcohol hand sanitizer to use in relation to SARS-COV-2:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Micro said:

Now imagine that fuel is Coronavirus - you take off your gloves, sanitize your hands, but later on you'll handle your keys, or your wallet ungloved, and contaminate your hands. You'll then prepare food or touch your face and expose yourself to it.

Who's touching outdoor items such as wallet or keys indoors? 😮 And then going to wipe key juice over their face?  Or preparing food without washing their hands?  No wonder bacteria and virus's spread so quickly with everyone being so disgusting! :laugh:  At the moment I'm even sanitizing my keys, wallet and watch every time I get in, even though I won't touch them again until I go out lol.

Did you watch the programme on deep cleaning your house with Aggie (from Kim & Aggie) yesterday?  She was even going so far as to steam clean that little gap between the toilet pan and cistern!  🤦‍♂️  And then amazingly found poo bacteria on the toilet flush, who'd have guessed that eh? :rolleyes: 

All this hype in the media, obsessive cleaning, disinfecting, it's driving hysteria among the population making people paranoid, there is only a certain amount a person can do, after that it's up to nature.

• Like 1

Breaking news.
Boris Johnson has tested positive for Covid19.

Sent from my SM-G965F

It was bound to happen, he probably has the most social contact of anyone in the country! :sad: 

Shows that the virus is likely to hit absolutely anyone.
Remember- nobody is immune to this, stay home if you can but if you absolutely have to go out then take all sensible precautions.
Think of the virus as a bush fire and self- isolation as a firebreak.
Starve the fire of fuel and it will burn out in the end.

Sent from my SM-G965F

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Breaking news.
Boris Johnson has tested positive for Covid19.

Sent from my SM-G965F

I knew that was only a matter of time.  Same with Trump but of course that will be kept under wraps.

• Like 1

I knew that was only a matter of time.  Same with Trump but of course that will be kept under wraps.
Not being mean but I think Trump needs to catch it.
Hopefully it will stop all his pompous claims to being uniquely skilled at stopping the virus in it's tracks.
His pig-ignorant attitude makes my teeth itch.

Sent from my SM-G965F

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Micro said:

Use the end of my pen at work to press buttons where you don't know who else has touched (if not wearing gloves anyway), then sanitize later.

Food for thought - why are there so many cases of dementia now? Is it just because more people are getting it? More people reaching old age? Or maybe more people are being diagnosed, whereas 20 years ago it'd have been "Ethel down the road is just old". The same applies to Autism - more awareness leads to more diagnoses. It's classed as a developmental disorder, but actual causes are still unknown.

The "spray coatings" on Apples and other fruits is a mix of food grade waxes and potatoes don't get covered with anything as they still sprout and some are still mucky from the field. Strawberries being irradiated? You stated the reason they have a longer shelf life - they're picked before they're ripe and either ripened before packaging or left to ripen themselves. Youtube Bananas being ripened.

Hopefully you don't have to count to ten too often, but remembering this for when I need it. Virtual high five fellow front line bod!

A fantastic video showing how quickly contamination can spread

Just want to say THANK YOU for spreading some common sense and facts!! :thumbup1:

No pun intended...

• Like 1

Just now, Stoney871 said:

Not being mean but I think Trump needs to catch it.
Hopefully it will stop all his pompous claims to being uniquely skilled at stopping the virus in it's tracks.
His pig-ignorant attitude makes my teeth itch.

Sent from my SM-G965F

Tell me about it!  The US now has the most cases (more than China) and yet Trump wants everything to return to "normal" ASAP and was criticising other countries for locking down for "too long". 

Don't get me wrong I don't totally hate the guy but 90% of what he says and does is completely ludicrous, what you would expect from a 5 year old in fact.

• Like 1

Old 'panda eyes' seems to be totally ignorant of the real world and still acts like he's a business man rather than the leader of a major country.
Hopefully he doesn't believe all of his own grandiose statements.

Sent from my SM-G965F

Trump is a well known germaphobe, he'll be taking extra precautions!  But he's a 'do as I say, not as I do' kinda person unfortunately!

Regarding precautions, I know I'll have to go shopping around Tuesday next week....haven't been since last Friday.  Thought it'd be safer to try an online shop, but there aren't any slots for online or C&C available for the next 3 weeks.  And most supermarkets are now ONLY delivering to very vulnerable people.  This is forcing the rest of us into the social contact that we could've avoided had there been more delivery slots available. 🤦‍♂️  I fully appreciate how difficult it would be to add a huge amount of extra slots, but it's far from ideal. :sad:   I'm genuinely considering wearing a DIY mask in the hope that somethings better than nothing...  I'll also keep my wraparounds on and hood up if I'm allowed, have been told off by security for doing that during flu season before though lol.

I've read that afternoons are now the quietest time to visit supermarkets, can any confirm that?

What part of 'No UNNECESSARY travel' are people finding it hard to understand? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52055201

I do think, however, that the guidelines being shared etc should make it plain and simple that driving somewhere to exercise is not allowed. 

We had 5 muppets up here yesterday driving out to a beach to surf! Apparently they drove there separately, so that's all right then 🙄

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Trump is a well known germaphobe, he'll be taking extra precautions!  But he's a 'do as I say, not as I do' kinda person unfortunately!

Regarding precautions, I know I'll have to go shopping around Tuesday next week....haven't been since last Friday.  Thought it'd be safer to try an online shop, but there aren't any slots for online or C&C available for the next 3 weeks.  And most supermarkets are now ONLY delivering to very vulnerable people.  This is forcing the rest of us into the social contact that we could've avoided had there been more delivery slots available. 🤦‍♂️  I fully appreciate how difficult it would be to add a huge amount of extra slots, but it's far from ideal. :sad:   I'm genuinely considering wearing a DIY mask in the hope that somethings better than nothing...  I'll also keep my wraparounds on and hood up if I'm allowed, have been told off by security for doing that during flu season before though lol.

I've read that afternoons are now the quietest time to visit supermarkets, can any confirm that?

The last time I checked the masks (of any sort) were USELESS against catching COVID-19, they were only recommended for those who already have it and those working in close proximity with those who have it (I.E within 6 feet).  But anyone who knows better can correct me.

All supermarkets now are restricting the amount of people who can be in at a time and making sure the 6ft rule is maintained, so breathing anything in wouldn't be a concern for me.

I went early this morning and it was quite quiet, as long as yours doesn't have an hour dedicated to NHS or elderly people then go as early as possible.

Just now, jmurray01 said:

The last time I checked the masks (of any sort) were USELESS against catching COVID-19, they were only recommended for those who already have it and those working in close proximity with those who have it (I.E within 6 feet).  But anyone who knows better can correct me.

All supermarkets now are restricting the amount of people who can be in at a time and making sure the 6ft rule is maintained, so breathing anything in wouldn't be a concern for me.

I went early this morning and it was quite quiet, as long as yours doesn't have an hour dedicated to NHS or elderly people then go as early as possible.

The masks don't filter virus's, but I just thought it might be another 'layer' for it to get through.  Same as wearing wraparounds, the virus could get around the edges but it's gotta be better than nothing at all.

It doesn't just stay in a 6ft bubble around the person!! :laugh:  The 6ft guidelines is because that's roughly how far the majority of dribble travels when you cough...you're still not totally safe outside of that and the virus can remain airborne for hours, especially in an indoor environment with no airflow.

Our local Tesco does have the 9-10 Elderly hour on Mon, Wed and Fri, and they've now just introduced Tue & Thu for NHS workers.  Slightly annoying as I usually go on Monday at 9am...and had planned to go Tuesday at 9am, until todays announcement lol.  I don't want to be queueing outside the shop if possible, I reckon a lot of people get there first thing and queue.  I could go to Sainsburys instead, which I'd prefer tbh but I'm not sure if driving to a further supermarket is  even allowed now. :unsure: 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

The masks don't filter virus's, but I just thought it might be another 'layer' for it to get through.  Same as wearing wraparounds, the virus could get around the edges but it's gotta be better than nothing at all.

It doesn't just stay in a 6ft bubble around the person!! :laugh:  The 6ft guidelines is because that's roughly how far the majority of dribble travels when you cough...you're still not totally safe outside of that and the virus can remain airborne for hours, especially in an indoor environment with no airflow.

Our local Tesco does have the 9-10 Elderly hour on Mon, Wed and Fri, and they've now just introduced Tue & Thu for NHS workers.  Slightly annoying as I usually go on Monday at 9am...and had planned to go Tuesday at 9am, until todays announcement lol.  I don't want to be queueing outside the shop if possible, I reckon a lot of people get there first thing and queue.  I could go to Sainsburys instead, which I'd prefer tbh but I'm not sure if driving to a further supermarket is  even allowed now. :unsure: 

Do they not open before that though?  I know with mine they open at 7AM, then between 8-9AM is dedicated to elderly so there's an hour before that where "normal" (which I'm not :laugh:) people can shop.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club