Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Coronavirus-A More Serious Thread

Turvey

11 minutes ago, Turvey said:

What part of 'No UNNECESSARY travel' are people finding it hard to understand? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52055201

I do think, however, that the guidelines being shared etc should make it plain and simple that driving somewhere to exercise is not allowed. 

This is a bit daft though...if you live in blocks of flats in a built up area, it would be much safer to drive to an open space for a walk where it's easy to keep your distance.

I understand not clogging up the roads if that's the reason, but I really don't see that driving to a park for a walk is going to spread the virus in any way! :unsure: 

4 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Do they not open before that though?  I know with mine they open at 7AM, then between 8-9AM is dedicated to elderly so there's an hour before that where "normal" (which I'm not :laugh:) people can shop.

I'm getting myself confused now lol!

Tesco opens at 6am (previously 24hr).  So yes, maybe I could get there between 7-8am, then hopefully the opening rush will have passed but the pre-elderly rush won't yet be happening.

Sainsburys opens at 8am, but 8-9am is elderly and vulnerable (so the store doesn't open before that!) on Mon, Wed and Fri.  So in order to avoid the early rush at Sainsburys I'd have to go at around 9am on Tuesday...

No wonder people are going in at the wrong times as they're all different...the stores could have got together to make all the times the same across the board! 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm getting myself confused now lol!

Tesco opens at 6am (previously 24hr).  So yes, maybe I could get there between 7-8am, then hopefully the opening rush will have passed but the pre-elderly rush won't yet be happening.

Sainsburys opens at 8am, but 8-9am is elderly and vulnerable (so the store doesn't open before that!) on Mon, Wed and Fri.  So in order to avoid the early rush at Sainsburys I'd have to go at around 9am on Tuesday...

No wonder people are going in at the wrong times as they're all different...the stores could have got together to make all the times the same across the board! 🤦‍♂️

I don't know why I found that so funny! :laugh:

Must be cabin fever setting in...

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

This is a bit daft though...if you live in blocks of flats in a built up area, it would be much safer to drive to an open space for a walk where it's easy to keep your distance.

I understand not clogging up the roads if that's the reason, but I really don't see that driving to a park for a walk is going to spread the virus in any way! :unsure: 

I do agree with you in that situation, common sense has to be employed.

For me though I have no excuse since I live in a small village, but my uncle who lives in a block of flats in Edinburgh could not walk anywhere around where he lives unless he wanted to be mugged.  Mind you maybe the criminals are also self-isolating...

• Like 1

Just now, jmurray01 said:

I do agree with you in that situation, common sense has to be employed.

For me though I have no excuse since I live in a small village, but my uncle who lives in a block of flats in Edinburgh could not walk anywhere around where he lives unless he wanted to be mugged.  Mind you maybe the criminals are also self-isolating...

You joke but I have seen the local weed dealer wearing gloves this week!  He's still taking accepting cash and standing within 2 metres of clients though! :laugh: 

I'm going to have to go for a walk this afternoon as I've had heavy brain fog, vision and balance issues for the last few days.  It usually comes and goes but just won't shift this time so I'm hoping some fresh air might help!  I've also got to read the electric meter and empty the bins so will combine them into one trip, don't want to be seen outside twice in one day!! :lol:   Will then take a decontamination shower and chuck all my clothes in the wash...just in case!  Seriously though, I am worried about walking around the estate and having to walk past people where there's no option to cross the road.  On a normal Friday I would have driven to a nearby town where there's a massive open field! :sad: 

Might also change the clock on the car while I think of it otherwise I'll end up at the supermarket at the wrong time next time I do drive! 😮 

FFP3 level masks are suitable.
That's what I've been issued and what Wifey wears at work.
Scarves or diy store dust masks do nowt.
Tbh, as long as you're not being subjected to air coughed or sneezed out by others then you're reasonably low risk.
Gloves are fine for touching items where the virus may be settled but it's no point wearing the gloves all the time.
The virus doesn't enter by skin contact, it's due to touching your mucus membranes (nose / mouth / eyes) that gives it an entry point.
So, wear gloves to touch stuff but never touch your face while wearing the gloves and use antibac gel or wipes or a good old 20 second hand wash with soap and hot water when you remove your gloves before touching your face, eating, drinking or smoking.
I used to be an NBC instructor (now called CBRN) in the military and these were basic decontamination rules for protection from biological warfare (anthrax, pneumonic plague etc).
Remember all- don't over react but conversely just use common sense and please above all-
8453eabd0da6a99fc59e5efd96c4e681.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F

• Like 7

Trump actually announced that some chlorine based concoction killed the virus, we know that chlorine does but when one of your Countrymen actually believes that it will  if you swallow it and dies an hour later (age 56) who is the bigger fool, the one who suggests it or the one that actually does it?

No-one needs to go anywhere to get some exercise, if you live in a house, why not run up and down the stairs for half an hour, if you live in a bungalow and have little or no outside space, run from room to room for a half hour and if you want some fresh air, open the ***** windows! I wonder how the internet online suppliers of indoor exercise equipment like rowing machines and static cycles are doing?

• Like 3

You also have to consider people’s mental well being. I’m working from home looking at a computer all day and stuck indoors the rest of the time. Doing any sort of exercise indoors is not enough, I need to get out in the fresh air, stretch my legs, hear the birds sing and recharge mentally a bit. 

People just have to be sensible. Keep distances from others, don’t travel to exercise, even if you do more of a workout from home, people need to go for a walk around the block even just for a change of scenery and not feel totally imprisoned. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Milkman said:

Trump actually announced that some chlorine based concoction killed the virus, we know that chlorine does but when one of your Countrymen actually believes that it will  if you swallow it and dies an hour later (age 56) who is the bigger fool, the one who suggests it or the one that actually does it?

No-one needs to go anywhere to get some exercise, if you live in a house, why not run up and down the stairs for half an hour, if you live in a bungalow and have little or no outside space, run from room to room for a half hour and if you want some fresh air, open the ***** windows! I wonder how the internet online suppliers of indoor exercise equipment like rowing machines and static cycles are doing?

Trump is a bit simple minded and then some more 😅 there is a drug for malaria which has worked in some cases, also a HIV drug which has in others, 

However both methods would be very harsh in stripping all good and bad from the body; like chemotherapy strips everything from you, the patient's immune system there after would be a desert wasteland in terms of resilient structure against anything in the future, 

But there surviving but are they living; perhaps in a new way as not all survivors go back to normal, some have lost the pockets in there lungs and require oxygen cylinders 24/7 

Personally I'd prefer to go completely than change lifestyle or job,

There are three different new purpose designed vaccines in manufacture at the moment, 

• Like 1

@Milkman our local FB buying/selling pages are full of folk looking for running machines and weight benches. 

Meanwhile I'm getting roasted on a thread by questioning whether going to the recycling center is deemed 'essential travel' apparently it is because 'I missed putting my bin out' translates as an emergency situation 🙄  Well they had better be quick, I have it on good authority that, like sites up and down the country, they'll be closing very shortly. 

• Like 1

Our recycling centres in our county shut last week. And won't be long before normal black bins will only be emptied 

2 hours ago, iantt said:

Our recycling centres in our county shut last week. And won't be long before normal black bins will only be emptied 

Emptied my bins yesterday, we have communal bin stores for about ~20 flats...  They're already massively overflowing, both refuse and recycling!  They usually get emptied on Mondays so we'll just have to wait and see what happens then I guess... :unsure: 

3 hours ago, Turvey said:

@Milkman our local FB buying/selling pages are full of folk looking for running machines and weight benches. 

Meanwhile I'm getting roasted on a thread by questioning whether going to the recycling center is deemed 'essential travel' apparently it is because 'I missed putting my bin out' translates as an emergency situation 🙄  Well they had better be quick, I have it on good authority that, like sites up and down the country, they'll be closing very shortly. 

Moray Council shut all the recycling centres 4 days ago I think.  I have a trailer load to take there so it is slightly inconvenient but not the end of the world, and besides I wouldn't go now anyway as I don't class it as essential unless you've got bags of refuse lying around attracting rats...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Moray Council shut all the recycling centres 4 days ago I think.  I have a trailer load to take there so it is slightly inconvenient but not the end of the world, and besides I wouldn't go now anyway as I don't class it as essential unless you've got bags of refuse lying around attracting rats...

I would imagine that councils will be concentrating on rubbish rather than recycling for now. I would also imagine that they will relax the rules a wee bit. 

5 hours ago, iantt said:

Police shut our Recycling centres down yesterday, and now we got road blocks on main road

• Like 1

I rang our district Council office on Monday to ask about bin collections and they said that the landfill and food waste bins will be priority, land fill is collected fortnightly and recycling every week, food waste, classed as recycling is therefore collected weekly so the recycling bins are at present also being emptied weekly as it all goes in the same lorry. Our collections are every Tuesday, recycling lorry at around 7.30am and the landfill one about 10.00am, both are quite a bit later now because they are only putting 2 workers on each lorry instead of 4. I don't create much waste, I fill my landfill black bin about once a month, same for recycling boxes, no food waste and anything that will burn I commit to my incinerator.

• Like 1

@Milkman as a member of our local council waste team, you sound like the perfect customer 👍

Quite often see when picking up the recycling a bin out with 5 or 6 bottles in the bottom of it! 🙄

6 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Quite often see when picking up the recycling a bin out with 5 or 6 bottles in the bottom of it! 🙄

Nan's bin often looked like that when she was still putting it out herself... 🤭 

She couldn't move a heavy bin though, it's another one of those things we take for granted that elderlies can't do lol.  I always had to lift the lid to check if it had been emptied as there was no way to tell by weight alone. :laugh: 

34 minutes ago, Turvey said:

@Milkman as a member of our local council waste team, you sound like the perfect customer 👍

I have to admit I was guilty of that last week but only because it could be the last collection for a while (I thought).  Normally I let it get full before putting it out.

2 hours ago, Turvey said:

I should put the bins out every week really but there's no point if they're nowhere near full, the only down side of not putting them out often is that I am still paying the same Council Tax amount as all those that do put theirs out regularly and often overflowing, I don't know why I'm paying the same as I don't have pavements, street lights, and it's gone up by 3.8% from this April as well!

On 3/27/2020 at 12:54 PM, jmurray01 said:

The last time I checked the masks (of any sort) were USELESS against catching COVID-19, they were only recommended for those who already have it and those working in close proximity with those who have it (I.E within 6 feet).  But anyone who knows better can correct me.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:00 PM, TomsFocus said:

The masks don't filter virus's, but I just thought it might be another 'layer' for it to get through.  Same as wearing wraparounds, the virus could get around the edges but it's gotta be better than nothing at all.

Fluid Resistant Surgical Masks (Type IIr) prevent droplets coming into contact with your mouth/nose (no filtering as such), and eye protection prevents contact with your eyes. Standard PPE for normal clinical procedures, assessment, etc, of anyone suspected of or confirmed to have the virus. It was initially treated as being airborne but has been downgraded to droplet transmission.

For Aerosol generating procedures, where lots of very tiny droplets are likely to be formed and accelerated into the air surrounding a person, then full PPE including a full gown/coveralls, eye protection and FFP3 level protection needs to be worn.

The reason various bodies are saying that day-to-day they don't need to be worn is probably 1 to protect the supply of them to those who need them for a job, and 2 because people would end up touching the outside of the mask when doffing it, or wear it round their neck or something daft like that. As long as you're not within 2m of an infected person then you'll be sound, especially outside where there is lots of fresh air to dilute it.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:55 PM, Stoney871 said:

FFP3 level masks are suitable.
That's what I've been issued and what Wifey wears at work.
Scarves or diy store dust masks do nowt.
Tbh, as long as you're not being subjected to air coughed or sneezed out by others then you're reasonably low risk.
Gloves are fine for touching items where the virus may be settled but it's no point wearing the gloves all the time.
The virus doesn't enter by skin contact, it's due to touching your mucus membranes (nose / mouth / eyes) that gives it an entry point.
So, wear gloves to touch stuff but never touch your face while wearing the gloves and use antibac gel or wipes or a good old 20 second hand wash with soap and hot water when you remove your gloves before touching your face, eating, drinking or smoking.
I used to be an NBC instructor (now called CBRN) in the military and these were basic decontamination rules for protection from biological warfare (anthrax, pneumonic plague etc).
Remember all- don't over react but conversely just use common sense and please above all

Have they fit tested you guys for the FFP3's? 

• Like 2

Anyone without facial hair is fine with what we have issued.
As I'm full beard it's a bit more tricky but as I'm single crewed with dogs I'm ok unless directly dealing with MOP.
The 3M masks we have are the kind with flexible seals so about as good as we can get without going to expensive single issue types.
e06933fae7fdfede0606e3ca6e29e81e.jpg5d1f4c8d79239b394b6b7bb0ca001582.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Anyone without facial hair is fine with what we have issued.
As I'm full beard it's a bit more tricky but as I'm single crewed with dogs I'm ok unless directly dealing with MOP.
The 3M masks we have are the kind with flexible seals so about as good as we can get without going to expensive single issue types.
e06933fae7fdfede0606e3ca6e29e81e.jpg5d1f4c8d79239b394b6b7bb0ca001582.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F

They look a tad more robust than the single use ones we were issued! Still slightly miffed about the beard but hey ho! We are provided with eye protection, but i've got a funny shaped head and so they fall off when you bend over. £10 on amazon and i've got a significantly better pair of safety glasses (exceeding the standard issue) and hopefully no more falling off the noggin.

• Like 3

Being the only earner in my home; which works well in normal life as my wife is here to look after our three kids,

I'm very relieved to find out yesterday thankfully my job has been recognized by the Irish government as being part of the "essential services team"; I don't deal with the public as part of my job it's very much restricted access and I'll have a permit to allow me to travel to work. 

So thankfully the family income wont be removed; another word would be affected, however I'm finding that it is being affected due to the lack of variety in shops which my wife goes once every two weeks to limit risk; 

I've saw an increase of 35% on the grocery bill to maintain the same level of items which we always purchase due to only premium options remaining on the shelves.

The electricity bill will also be increased due to the family being at home all day every day; some time clocks will help reduce Television time, they can read some books or practice home economics,  

10 hours ago, Micro said:

Fluid Resistant Surgical Masks (Type IIr) prevent droplets coming into contact with your mouth/nose (no filtering as such), and eye protection prevents contact with your eyes. Standard PPE for normal clinical procedures, assessment, etc, of anyone suspected of or confirmed to have the virus. It was initially treated as being airborne but has been downgraded to droplet transmission.

For Aerosol generating procedures, where lots of very tiny droplets are likely to be formed and accelerated into the air surrounding a person, then full PPE including a full gown/coveralls, eye protection and FFP3 level protection needs to be worn.

The reason various bodies are saying that day-to-day they don't need to be worn is probably 1 to protect the supply of them to those who need them for a job, and 2 because people would end up touching the outside of the mask when doffing it, or wear it round their neck or something daft like that. As long as you're not within 2m of an infected person then you'll be sound, especially outside where there is lots of fresh air to dilute it.

Thanks Ted.  It's the indoor supermarket visit that I'm most worried about at the moment.  If it's not considered airborne now, wouldn't even a paper mask stop droplets 'falling' onto your mouth or nose?  I'm also worried the new 'procedures' in stores will force me into closer contact and longer time than I would have otherwise been!  I know exactly the aisles I need to go down and can get round in about 10-15 minutes...if I have to follow arrows, getting stuck behind people and having to wait until they've moved to get something it could take twice as long! :unsure:  

I did manage to walk round the block on Friday without being coughed on by any passers by...  Had to laugh when I got home though, I spent about 20 mins cleaning things before taking the bins out (hate the smell of wet wipes in the bin!)...  The moment I stepped out of the door a second time a police van turned up!! 😮 Thought they were going to shop me for leaving the house twice in one day but they went to another flat fortunately, phew... :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club