Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Coronavirus-A More Serious Thread

Turvey

13 hours ago, Turvey said:

Could have put these in the light-hearted thread but there is a serious message being portrayed so...

That's a good point. Back in my youth (so a long time ago) I was in a mate's car driving back from a night out. We were coming down Otley Chevin which, as some of you may know, is pretty steep and winding and totally unlit in those days. My mate decided it would great fun to turn his lights out and drive on the wrong side of the road.

Obviously we weren't killed (unless I'm a ghost) but I wouldn't recommend it!😃

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/21/2020 at 7:00 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Wondering when the revised counting method will come into force. Until Matt Hancock ordered a review last week, it seems anyone in England who had ever tested positive for Covid-19, then died subsequently, even if from another cause, were being counted as coronavirus deaths. Silly example given was someone who tested positive in March, and either showed no symptoms or recovered, but was then run over in June, would have been counted as a coronavirus death. The rest of the UK have only been counting anyone who tested positive within 28 days before death, so this presumably is why the rates for England seem high in comparison to others.

So it looks as if the results of this review will be revealed this week. Reports suggest that up to 10% of the deaths in England attributed to coronavirus could be removed from the figures, which still leaves a lot of deaths, of course.

It will be interesting to see, however, if the correct counting method will see the daily deaths figure start to drop more quickly.

• Like 1

The ruling on the face mask/covering in shops and other public 'indoor' places is a complete farce, I went shopping yesterday and in the four shops I visited not a single member of staff in any of them were wearing any sort of face covering. If the staff don't then why should the customers? Makes a mockery of it!

On 8/6/2020 at 8:56 PM, Milkman said:

The ruling on the face mask/covering in shops and other public 'indoor' places is a complete farce

I'm not a big fan of this rule either, but it did seem to me that if you were going to have it, it would make more sense for the staff to be included. After all, I'm in and out in the shortest possible time (record so far: under a minute for milk and papers!), but the staff are in there for a full shift, potentially exposed to hundreds of customers.

The local Co-op where I do my day to day shop do provide PPE, but it's up to the staff if they use it - most don't.

I saw a bus this morning, about one third full, and not a single passenger was wearing a mask. From what I've seen at stops, people have one on to board, then take them off once seated. The drivers are obviously not prepared to stop the bus and make them get off, and I can't say I blame them.

• Like 1

I would turn it the other way around, the staff not wearing face covering is exposing themselves with risk of infection to hundreds of customers, it's an established fact that the majority of face masks have no protection whatsoever. Once again, one rule for one, another rule for others.

The local Authorities are as from today preventing by means of a By-Law, people from camping and visiting certain areas on Dartmoor, the main reasons are to stop them digging fire pits, having BBQ's and leaving piles of rubbish behind, those that are found doing so will be instructed to go to any one of the designated camping sites.

• Like 1

I must admit, when I went to Tesco on Monday, ALL of the C&C/Delivery pickers on the shop floor were wearing masks.  I was quite surprised as they hadn't been before.  Not sure if Tesco have mandated it, or if they've just chosen to do it.

Later in the week I went for a walk in a large park...and saw a several people sat on individual park benches wearing masks in 30c temps...  🤦‍♂️ 

The reason I ended up at the park is because all of the local beauty spots that I've only ever seen one or two cars at, are now absolutely ram-packed even on weekdays. :sad:  After a 5 point turn trying to get out of one small carpark down a single track lane, another car pulled in for me too pass, waved me down and with the window down asked if there were any spaces probably less than 2 foot from my face...cheers then! :rolleyes:  

2 hours ago, Milkman said:

I would turn it the other way around, the staff not wearing face covering is exposing themselves with risk of infection to hundreds of customers, 

Yes, I agree. It's a pity there are (apparently) still insufficient supplies of "medical grade" masks available to protect those who are most exposed to risk, or for those who (quite understandably) are just plain afraid. At the moment it seems to be backwards way round.

Just been in my local store, 1 member of staff behind the till, and 4 in the aisles replenishing stock, among the customers - not one of them wearing a mask. Then (still wearing my mask) into the Post Office where again none of the 3 staff were using any PPE. Had to show a photo ID to collect a parcel - but how did they know it was me behind the mask?😃

1 hour ago, V6 Lover said:

Well...whatta bout dis...e28370a42b982eba85cbec3fea429fea.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

H1N1 had 12k unfortunate deaths in about 12 months in the US. 

How many deaths for COVID 19 in the USA in less than half that time already? Over 164k. 

You can’t cherry pick the facts. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alexp999 said:

You can’t cherry pick the facts. 

Unfortunately that is what tends to happen - and I've cherry picked a fair few myself in my time to ensure various targets were met!😃

You could argue that the facts on testing, for example, are being cherry picked at present to justify various measures.

A quick scan of the media today, for instance, shows that a further 758 people have tested positive but this seems pretty meaningless unless it is shown as a percentage  of the total number tested. The question that doesn't often get asked is: if the number of cases is rising, why are we not seeing a related rise in hospital admissions and deaths?

This week the ONS and others have suggested that the percentage  seems to be remaining fairly flat, and that if you test more people then you will consequently see more positive tests. And of course there has been big increase in testing, particularly in areas which have seen local flare-ups, so it would make things clearer if we were told the total number of tests and  the number and percentage of positive tests, to give a meaningful ongoing comparison.

Bit off the topic but still statistics. Chatting the other day about the 1968 "Chinese Flu" which killed about 80,000 in the UK and yet seems to get little mention. I was trying to recall what significant events of that year stuck in my mind (apart from taking my "O"levels and getting a motorbike licence😃) and the flu didn't even register until I was reminded of it. Other world events like the Tet offensive in Vietnam seemed more significant.

I wonder if attitudes to risk, etc have changed so significantly in those 50 years or so?

My parents told me about the 1968 flu. I was only 4 so do t remember it. They said everyone just carried on as normal. Was reported in the papers what was going on. But no panic or hysteria like today's papers and other news outlets . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Unfortunately that is what tends to happen - and I've cherry picked a fair few myself in my time to ensure various targets were met!😃

You could argue that the facts on testing, for example, are being cherry picked at present to justify various measures.

A quick scan of the media today, for instance, shows that a further 758 people have tested positive but this seems pretty meaningless unless it is shown as a percentage  of the total number tested. The question that doesn't often get asked is: if the number of cases is rising, why are we not seeing a related rise in hospital admissions and deaths?

This week the ONS and others have suggested that the percentage  seems to be remaining fairly flat, and that if you test more people then you will consequently see more positive tests. And of course there has been big increase in testing, particularly in areas which have seen local flare-ups, so it would make things clearer if we were told the total number of tests and  the number and percentage of positive tests, to give a meaningful ongoing comparison.

Bit off the topic but still statistics. Chatting the other day about the 1968 "Chinese Flu" which killed about 80,000 in the UK and yet seems to get little mention. I was trying to recall what significant events of that year stuck in my mind (apart from taking my "O"levels and getting a motorbike licence😃) and the flu didn't even register until I was reminded of it. Other world events like the Tet offensive in Vietnam seemed more significant.

I wonder if attitudes to risk, etc have changed so significantly in those 50 years or so?

I agree that we should be given all the facts so that we can make our own minds up. The Scottish government are a bit more open with the figures and still have daily briefings.

The current percentage of positive tests up here is around 1% and rising, but interestingly a high percentage of them are  20-40 year olds and asymptomatic. 

That is probably one of the reasons that the death rate has gone down. Another is that up here almost half the deaths were Care Home residents who were not given the protection that they should have had until late in the day. Another may be that Hospitals are better at treating it.

I don't know if it made the national press but 6 Aberdeen professional football players went to a night club last Saturday and 2 of them (1/3rd) tested positive during the week even though they were asymptomatic. The only reason that they are now part of the statistics is that they have to get tested twice weekly.

The frightening thing about that is that is that 1/3rd of the other people in the night club are probably positive now and most of them will likely not be tested unless they get very ill but they capable will be infecting the general population.

The bottom line is I bet there will be no works Christmas parties this year.

• Like 1

No Christmas parties! Result. There normally dire anyway where I've worked. 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I don't know if it made the national press but 6 Aberdeen professional football players went to a night club last Saturday and 2 of them (1/3rd) tested positive

Certainly did! The FM has been extensively reported as being less than happy (and rightly so) about the fact that it was not an accident but a deliberate flouting of the rules.

45 minutes ago, iantt said:

No Christmas parties! Result. There normally dire anyway where I've worked. 

You're just jealous because it is probably mostly guys where you work😀 

Seriously though last years one was at Murrayfield Stadium and there were about 400 people packed into one room. The dance floor was so busy that we ended up creating our own one at the end of the room. I just can't see that kind of thing happening until there is a vaccine. 

• Like 1

I don't usually have a rant on about life; I generally just get along with it, 

But I'm going to say a few things both positive and negative here which may be a little different to the way people in the UK may be experiencing it at the moment so to best explain my case;

I'll start by saying I live in Ireland.

Some may like to share there situations too I dunno but there's alot different in the world these days so I thought I'd put it out here: 

On the positive: I've been extremely lucky enough to have maintained employment throughout the pandemic as I manufacture active pharmaceutical ingredients, 

My wife is and was a stay at home mother of three which is the hardest job of all careers; with that said we're lucky to be in a position where the household income hasn't been affected by the pandemic; we were never millionaires but we're sailing along steady were together nineteen years now with a shared view that when the bills are paid and the kids have all they need; we will make the most of what remains and be happy together.

Personally I think the pandemic was more manageable or acceptable at the beginning; at least for those who remained in employment.

However things are becoming more dynamic in the coming weeks as the kids return to schools and the winter months set in, 

We have three kids in three different levels of school, youngest is starting national school and the eldest is in secondary, all three have different sets of rules for school, 

Eldest is to wear masks but change from a uniform to a tracksuit every second day so the school can see there being washed aswell as wearing masks when less than 2 metres apart, 

The middle one is in national school, they will be in a pod, there's no decision been made by the school yet whether there going with a uniform or regular clothes with two weeks left to decide; no masks required within these pods where there sitting close together, masks required in the school yard and everywhere outside the room.

Youngest will also be in pods but no masks required anywhere atall. 

Now my argument on that is were only as strong as the weakest link; the alteration in rules for the different ages makes a mockery of the overall integrity as they all come home to the same kitchen table.

Personally in work; I've installed a TV tuner in to the headunit of my car; I wear all PPE and limit my interaction with others which I've been doing since the very beginning, I work alone and use phone to communicate with management.

When going to the shops; I drive then wear a mask with disposable latex gloves which I change on exit of the shop.

With the kids returning to school it is increasing the risk of the virus coming home and that's a worry, 

Aside from that then and leading up to the return to schools was of course the preparation, 

We first obtained the important items; books and stationary, which are essential for use either in school or when learning remotely at home.

We then this week had the potentially wasteful investment of six uniforms (two each) aswell as one pair of shoes each, one smiggles and two superdry backpack's, aswell as school specific tracksuits and trainers.

The backpack's and trainers: I don't mind as they will be used but the uniforms and school branded tracksuits may never be worn for more than a number of weeks; all could be shutdown again by October, overall total for the three kids books, bags lunchbox uniform and everything was a total €1,089.22

And with that in mind; we have also had to prepare for that possibility where both eldest are required to communicate with there teachers online;

at present we have a desktop computer which I bought last year; and both shared to communicate and work with school,

I later had to invest in a web cam during lockdown which is something I never thought I'd see myself purchase especially for my kids; but the school required visual or they would block the user as apparently there were some people logging in which were not kids and watching those whom had webcam already; so a webcam was required by all to confirm identity, any blank screens were then blocked from use.

I've now invested in a laptop and small desk for the kitchen; so we now have capacity for both of our eldest to independently learn remotely from home in the event or rather when the schools close again before Christmas. 

Its alot of additional cost aswell as risk when the rules are different for each age level; overall I've had to spend an additional €800 this year on top of the previous figure to facilitate learning from home if it is then required. 

On top of all that; there's a huge increase in dogs being stolen for breeding across the country the price of pups has trippled since the beginning of the pandemic; those that are no use are being used for bait; drones being used to scout out areas; almost insecure about walking the dog incase of becoming a target; can't leave it outside unattended.

Overall it's becoming a daily struggle to keep all the family safe and well, 

I've had to give up my phone last month as our eldest broke; and I've had no pocket money this month due to the purchase of the laptop; been ham sandwiches for lunch all month with no change in sight until September.

My parents live 276km away and although they visit other family members in there area; have requested that we don't visit until there is a vaccine 😂 there's only so much one can talk about on the phone; and in doing so it highlights the inability to visit; so I've basically lost them; not to covid19 but as a result of covid19.

Thought I'd post here as there may be some people in similar situation or it may increase morall for the older generation to be glad there's are now grown up beyond the school years. 

Overall it's a very different reality in all perspectives.

I don't envy you or anyone with kids at the moment with the worry of schools returning.  I'm one of the older generation sort of. My kids are now 20 and 24. They live 1/2 mile away at there mums house. But due to covid restrictions and us having to isolate recently I've only seen them twice since lockdown in march. I've been having to look after my elderly parents so been very vigalant on the covid front. Like you I keep my distance from those at work. Fortunately none of the staff at our place has had covid and are as good as me for staying that way. My partner was the most at risk as she was drafted into hospice to look after covid patients. But she managed to stay covid free. 

Think autumn/winter will be a nervous time for all. 

We are happy to hunker down and do our bit to stay healthy and continue to work. I've been at work throughout just like you. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:23 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

So it looks as if the results of this review will be revealed this week. Reports suggest that up to 10% of the deaths in England attributed to coronavirus could be removed from the figures, which still leaves a lot of deaths, of course.

It seems there will now be not one, but three ways of recording deaths in England. The existing one will still be used for an historical comparison, then the deaths of people who were tested positive within 28 of death (as already used in the other UK nations) and a new one, those who died within 60 days of testing positive. 

That should give lots more numbers to bamboozle us with!😀

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, V6 Lover said:

Is it a lie that COVID19 is a new strain of FLU...

Yes.  Influenza is a completely different type of virus. 

However, we get new mutations of flu every year, hence the need to vaccinate huge numbers of vulnerable people every autumn...if we were not able to do that, I suspect the country would shutdown every winter.  

It's not yet known if Covid19 will be able to mutate each year, in the same way as seasonal flu does.  It's not looking likely though, coronaviruses generally mutate much more slowly meaning that hopefully a different vaccine wouldn't be needed each year...

12 minutes ago, V6 Lover said:

Where are we now...about to go into one hell of a recession/depresion..the local high st are all dead, nobody is spending..Hospitals are EMPTY, nobody is dying..Once furlough end's what then..lol..
All the hotels are full of illegal migrant's and the bbc is asking brtish people who own home's to take them in...lol..lol..lol.
Okay let's ban school altogether, teacher's on the hole are a load of lefties who think it's okay to have TRANSVESTITES on school premises(WHY) talking to and poisoning our children's mind's' let parent's educate their own children at home where it's nice and safe, all them unemployable teacher's can become road sweepers, nice honorable job is that.
Because of a new flu variant..lol..
Ps..car's should be banned as they kill 1600 people a year and injure millions of people, cat's dog's rabbits,deer fox's,flying insects you name it..Outrageous!!!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I think you need to stop living in the 19th Century.

While we are allowing some discussion on the virus, this is a car forum and not a place for you to air your bigoted views, please keep facebook sensationalism on facebook.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I think you need to stop living in the 19th Century.

While we are allowing some discussion on the virus, this is a car forum and not a place for you to air your bigoted views, please keep facebook sensationalism on facebook.

He's been banned from Facebook! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club