Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Coronavirus-A More Serious Thread

Turvey

1 hour ago, V6 Lover said:

Jesus..this is a coronavirus thread,for talking about and what it has done..Cant you read alex..
What's up..hurt your feelings..well my heart bleeds...not a teacher are you..

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Yep it's about coronovirus, my reply was precisely in relation to the parts of your comment NOT about coronavirus.

Let's get back on topic now.

8 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That should give lots more numbers to bamboozle us with!😀

So, from what I've been able to deduce from today's statistics so far:

A further 77 people have, sadly, died from coronavirus (by the "28 day" measure)

5,377 have been removed from the tally of coronavirus fatalities as a result of the review

We are currently 5 times more likely to die from flu than coronavirus, deaths from flu having outstripped those from Covid-19 for the last 7 weeks in a row

One does wonder what to make of it all.............😳

On 8/12/2020 at 7:24 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

A further 77 people have, sadly, died from coronavirus (by the "28 day" measure)

Apparently the figure above was misquoted, 77 was by the "old" method, revised down to 20 under the "new" method.

Since then, 18 deaths were announced on Thursday, 11 yesterday and 3 today, so fingers crossed things are moving in the right direction.

1,012 new cases were announced today, representing 0.3% of the total number of tests (337,089) in the last 24 hours.

The 317,379 total number of cases represents 2.27% of the 14 million tests which have been carried out so far (according to press reports), so (if that's correct) from the last 24 hours figures it does seem the percentage testing positive is falling also.

It's good that the info on total numbers of tests and percentages testing positive seem to be being made more widely available to put things in context - just quoting a big increase in total number of cases is somewhat misleading imo.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

1,012 new cases were announced today, representing 0.3% of the total number of tests (337,089) in the last 24 hours.

I think that whatever paper the above and the figures quoted in the previous post are in are trying to stir people up against the restrictions because they are both wrong according to official figures.

According to the government website the 337,089 was todays testing capacity, not the number of tests carried out. The actual number of tests carried out was 177,057, which gives a percentage of almost double the 0.3% quoted in the newspaper.

Also the ONS do not collate or publish the number of Flu deaths. They have always published the number of deaths where all respiratory diseases were a cause or contributory factor. To say that they were all caused by Flu is nonsense.

My own view is that dying directly from Covid is not my biggest concern. What worries me more is the irreparable damage it has done to some previously fit peoples bodies. You just have to look at state of that pilot who was released from the hospital in Vietnam and many others that I have read about.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

According to the government website the 337,089 was todays testing capacity, not the number of tests carried out. The actual number of tests carried out was 177,057, which gives a percentage of almost double the 0.3% quoted in the newspaper.

Yes, you're quite right John, they seem to have transposed the test figures from the Government "dashboard". Even so, the percentage of positive tests does seem to be falling, which is hopefully good news. That testing capacity figure does seem amazingly precise, though.

Again, as far as I can see, you are also correct on the "flu"  figure. The various press reports all quote "ONS statistics" but as you mention the ONS actually say "respiratory diseases".

Actually I don't think the press have been trying to stir up opposition to the restrictions. With the exception of a few columnists, the papers I see have been remarkably supportive overall, even in some cases urging restrictions to go further, faster. 

7 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Even so, the percentage of positive tests does seem to be falling, which is hopefully good news.

I hope so too. The Scottish percentage was below 0.5 for a while but now it is over 1 and looks like staying that way, things can change very quickly. I do see things getting worse as the restrictions are eased further as it has in other countries.

Day 178 of covid19 in Ireland.

I have come to realize that it is now only a matter of time before it enters my home, 

200 new cases announced here yesterday.

We have three children aged 5, 10 and 13 all set to return to school at the end of this month,

All three have different rules for self isolation, starting with zero for the youngest, one metre distance for the second and mask for the third,

Yet they all come home to the same kitchen table, 

It's only a matter of time; before one of them gets it, or that my wife gets it during the school run,

Nothing has changed since lockdown was implemented; figures are rising fast, 

I have successfully prepared the kids for a new school year as well as purchasing an additional laptop for learning at home when the entire country or at least the school goes in to lockdown again; 

The government plan is wrong; the schools won't stay open until the Christmas break and it's only going to affect more homes than it already has done.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 1:27 PM, BigLen said:

Day 178 of covid19 in Ireland.

I have come to realize that it is now only a matter of time before it enters my home, 

200 new cases announced here yesterday.

We have three children aged 5, 10 and 13 all set to return to school at the end of this month,

All three have different rules for self isolation, starting with zero for the youngest, one metre distance for the second and mask for the third,

Yet they all come home to the same kitchen table, 

It's only a matter of time; before one of them gets it, or that my wife gets it during the school run,

Nothing has changed since lockdown was implemented; figures are rising fast, 

I have successfully prepared the kids for a new school year as well as purchasing an additional laptop for learning at home when the entire country or at least the school goes in to lockdown again; 

The government plan is wrong; the schools won't stay open until the Christmas break and it's only going to affect more homes than it already has done.

I'd be telling/showing your children, now, how to maintain good hand hygiene, reminding them not to touch their faces, etc. The more you hammer that home, then you will reduce any risk of it coming back with them. Granted, when they're with friends, and out of your sight, you don't know what they'll do - but hopefully your teachings will have a positive effect. Washing hands when coming back to your house, (possibly) changing out of school uniform or going for a wash when home (to clean hands/faces). 

I'm a frontline worker, and for over 6 months i've been in contact with covid positive people whilst wearing and not wearing PPE (early days). Aside from mild symptoms (fever, extremely annoying cough, and loss of taste/smell) in February when I wasn't tested, just before the whole thing really kicked off, i've not tested positive at any point (4 swab tests), and my antibody test was also negative the end of June. As an example, one of my colleagues tested positive on their antibody test - and the only symptoms they had that could have been it, was a loss of taste and smell before that became an official symptom. Bear in mind I work with this colleague permanently, we are in regular close proximity, including moving each others belongings around, and I would have been around them whilst at work whilst they were potentially infectious. 

Now either i'm immune because I had it in February, or my hygiene methods are keeping me safe. I never wore a face mask in the shops whilst social distancing was actually being followed, i've not brought it home with me, and i'm not doing anything particularly special. eg. I don't wipe all my shopping when I get it home, I am just cautious not to cross contaminate when out, use hand sanitizer, etc.

As an aside, whoever wants to tell me that this virus isn't real, or that the government are trying to control us, can do it to my face. I have had colleagues (some extremely fit and healthy) at work suffer severe symptoms verging on life threatening, and have seen many people with severe and life threatening symptoms from this virus - however, good hand hygiene, not touching your face, and keeping your distance (+ common sense!) will keep you safe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Micro said:

good hand hygiene, not touching your face, and keeping your distance (+ common sense!) will keep you safe.

Absolutely. Can't help but feel that if everyone had stuck to the fairly simple (and not particularly onerous) measures you mention, it may not have been necessary to introduce some of the further restrictions. I feel at times that everyone is being punished for the actions of a few - bit like when you were at school and the whole class got detention 'cos the culprit wouldn't own up!

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 11:01 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Absolutely. Can't help but feel that if everyone had stuck to the fairly simple (and not particularly onerous) measures you mention, it may not have been necessary to introduce some of the further restrictions. I feel at times that everyone is being punished for the actions of a few - bit like when you were at school and the whole class got detention 'cos the culprit wouldn't own up!

Although i've today come down with a fever and a ***** horrendous headache. Had my swab earlier today, and hoping to god it doesn't come back positive.

That's with wearing appropriate PPE, keeping away from others, and scrupulous hand hygiene...

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 12:12 AM, Micro said:

Although i've today come down with a fever and a ***** horrendous headache. Had my swab earlier today, and hoping to god it doesn't come back positive.

Thought this thread was looking neglected!

Firstly, hope things turned out ok Ted, I see you're still visiting this site which looks good news!

Secondly, I keep an eye on the official statistics and, while the level of fatalities is concerning, at least it's good to see that the number of people testing positive is falling significantly. The statistics don't show what percentage of people being tested are positive, just the number, so I keep working it out for myself. A few weeks ago, over 7% of the total tests were positive, that's fallen to around 4% which seems like progress is being made in containing the spread.

• Like 2

Not sure how deaths are calculated and attributed to covid in England but here in Scotland  "and defines a confirmed COVID-19 death as an individual who dies within 28 days of their first positive COVID-19 laboratory report."

So, in my eyes, if you test positive for covid(even with little or no symptoms) and you get run over by a bus you'll still be a covid statistic 🤷 or am I wrong? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

Not sure how deaths are calculated and attributed to covid in England but here in Scotland  "and defines a confirmed COVID-19 death as an individual who dies within 28 days of their first positive COVID-19 laboratory report."

So, in my eyes, if you test positive for covid(even with little or no symptoms) and you get run over by a bus you'll still be a covid statistic 🤷 or am I wrong? 

No, I think you're basically right on that Kevin.

Note on the consolidated statistics on the GOV.UK website states:

"Number of deaths of people who had had a positive test result for COVID-19 and died within 28 days of the first positive test. Data from the four nations are not directly comparable as methodologies and inclusion criteria vary."

Afaik you'd also be included if you went into hospital for another condition and then caught Covid in there. This happened to a lady we know who was being treated for a totally unrelated heart condition and picked up Covid in there, which unfortunately proved fatal.

My Mrs tested positive on Thursday so I had to come home from work early to start my self isolation although I haven't any symptoms.

As I'm not allowed to leave the house for a further 12 days my question is wtf do I do regarding the car ? 

Can't legally go out into the street to start it or disconnect the battery but last time during the first lockdown the battery went flat after 10 days.

You could ask a friend or neighbour to run the engine.  Leave the key on the doorstep and have them sanitize it before touching.

1 hour ago, Wino said:

My Mrs tested positive on Thursday so I had to come home from work early to start my self isolation although I haven't any symptoms.

As I'm not allowed to leave the house for a further 12 days my question is wtf do I do regarding the car ? 

Can't legally go out into the street to start it or disconnect the battery but last time during the first lockdown the battery went flat after 10 days.

I would be tempted to think "Who's going to know?" I would just go out and do what you need to do to the car.

Hope everything goes ok for you all 👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I would be tempted to think "Who's going to know?" I would just go out and do what you need to do to the car.

Hope everything goes ok for you all 👍

Thanks. Yeah its looking that way. Its been stood since Thursday afternoon. Might wait till most go to work tomorrow and take a coffee and leave it ticking over for a bit. 

I was wondering whether it could be started and then relocked would it still run and if so how far would anyone get if they chose to break the window are try and drive off with it. Our house is a good 25m from the car and I know the fob works over that distance.

1 hour ago, Wino said:

I was wondering whether it could be started and then relocked would it still run and if so how far would anyone get if they chose to break the window are try and drive off with it. Our house is a good 25m from the car and I know the fob works over that distance.

It would carry on running until you turned it off again. Otherwise if somehow your keys went flying out of the window on the motorway, it would be a pretty dangerous situation if the engine cut out because it cant see the fob anymore. 

I'm not even sure you can lock it with the fob once the engine is running.

16 hours ago, Wino said:

was wondering whether it could be started and then relocked would it still run and if so how far would anyone get if they chose to break the window are try and drive off with it. Our house is a good 25m from the car and I know the fob works over that distance.

Sorry to read about your Mrs, David. 

I'm not sure about locking the car with the engine on, either, never tried it tbh. You could always secure the vehicle with a physical lock such as a disclock, if you have one. I am fairly sure it would be an offence to leave an unattended vehicle with the engine running though, and your insurers would take a dim view if anything happened. Given that, you may as well just take it for a quick spin anyway. Provided you observe distancing as you go about it and no-one else is involved you're not likely to do any harm. 

Trouble with some of these rules is they are arbitrary and don't cope with real life problems, like the one you have.

I think I mentioned elsewhere the case of my brother in law who has some respiratory issues (COPD). He kept working all through lockdown 1, and then out of the blue in July got a letter from the NHS telling him to isolate until a date in August - no explanation. So his employer decided to play safe and agreed he should stay off work for that time. When lockdown 2 came along his employer decided they ought to furlough him on health grounds until December 2 and he's just been told they're extending it into January.

Worry now is, are they just a concerned employer or are they using the situation as the thin end of the wedge to eventually dispense with his services. In either case it's affecting his mental health as he has no family and few outside interests so he's just kicking his heels. Hundreds of thousands of similar stories at the moment, of course.

Cheers Eric. 

Mrs not getting any worse thankfully.....I could argue it's just a bout of mild "Man flu" we all know how bad that is 😄

Re the car. I've been outside and started it up once the other residents had gone out and managed to take the handheld hoover with me and give it a clean whilst it was ticking over.

When it was parked up on Thursday afternoon it was at 12.7. Today it was sat at 11.8 so it could of gone for a few more days and now its reading 12.4 so alls good for the time being.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

mild "Man flu" we all know how bad that is 😄

Lol, certainly do!

I have seen, however, results of serious medical research which suggest that men do, in fact, have a worse response to respiratory viruses than women. This certainly seems to have been the case with Covid-19, so maybe there is something in it after all.

However, I take some comfort from other research which suggests if you have, or have recently suffered, a cold or similar, it will have "woken up" your immune system so you could be less susceptible to Covid. My Mrs reckons she can't remember when I haven't  had a cold in the 30+ years we've been together, so I figure I should be ok. Still taking sensible measures though!😀

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Surely you haven't caught a cold this year with all the social distancing? :laugh:

As my Mrs would tell you, I can catch a cold anywhere, anytime, any circumstances. It's just a gift I suppose!😀

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club