Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outer CV joint disconnected itself

coll6590

Hello all

My focus (2008 mk 2 1.8TDCI estate) broke down today. I stopped and put it into reverse but when I did all i got was a grinding noise and no drive. I could put it in gear without pressing the clutch and every gear just gave a grinding noise. Even when putting it back into neutral the grinding noise would continue and I could still push the car so it doesnt seem to be engaged in a gear. I noticed oil from the passenger side wheel so I removed this and the CV shaft was just dangling down with the gaiter. I removed the center bolt in the middle of the disk and the CV joint pulled out easily. To my untrained eye it seems to be fine.

I am handy and have fixed cars in the past but dont have loads of mechanical knowledge so hoping someone can help me. 

I thought this would not be able to happen so is there another issue?

Also do these symptoms relate to this being the only issue or is there another deeper issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and regards

Colin

is there any metal cv joint shaft parts att'd to the driveshaft or is it just the bare metal splines? in my experience there is usually a circlip in cv joint that locates in a groove in the splined shaft to stop the shaft sliding out. I haven't done much on modern cars in recent years but that's how they were in the old days.

3 hours ago, isetta said:

is there any metal cv joint shaft parts att'd to the driveshaft or is it just the bare metal splines? in my experience there is usually a circlip in cv joint that locates in a groove in the splined shaft to stop the shaft sliding out. I haven't done much on modern cars in recent years but that's how they were in the old days.

Aren't these clips just to prevent it casually falling out (as in theory, the driveshaft is held in place by the wheel/hub)? They can be levered/pulled out when all disconnected.

Well I re connected the CV shaft and gave it a little test around the car park and all seemed fine but I still dont know why or how this happened in the first place?

If you pull on the shaft does it feel like it has firmly clicked in to the cv joint

The same thing happened to me after I fitted an aftermarket Drive Shaft to a car once.

I did have trouble fitting it and I thought it was fitted correctly but when it came out I removed it completely and compared it to the original The circlip was a thicker than the original and must not have been sitting  in the Diff properly. I used the clip from the original joint and never had any more problems.

Maybe a previous owner changed the driveshaft for an aftermarket one at some time.

Thanks for all the help.

It seems to be sitting in firmly and I drove it yesterday without issue. 

But yes perhaps it has been changed in the past or is broken inside so I have ordered a complete CV shaft with joints and will replace the entire shaft to be on the safe side 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club