Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16” spare wheel

Mark Ardin

I have just bought a 67 plate Fiesta which doesn’t have a spare wheel. Does anyone know if a full size spare wheel (16”) would fit into the boot without lifting the boot floor?

I don’t know. Easy to measure width of tyre and then stick ruler in spare wheel well. Probably will be higher than boot floor. Or take wheel off car and put in boot, that’s best way really to see and whether you can live with it.   That’s what I did in my wife’s Mazda 2 and found tyre diameter was too much and it didn’t it fit in the well at all. Glad I checked before buying another wheel

Thanks. Good advice re trying the tyre.

My full-size spare is a 14" wheel with a 175/65 tyre and the fit is snug. A 16" will be too big.

If you have or going to buy the tyre for the spare, make sure it has a non-directional or Asymmetric tread design. Directional tyres (most All-season and Winter) have a direction Arrow on the sidewall can only be fitted to one side of the car. Asymmetric tyres (most Summer tyres nowadays) have 'Inside' and 'Outside' stamped on the sidewall and can be fitted to either side.

This advice, of course, it true for any sized spare wheel/tyre.

annoyingly websites like tyreshopper dont point out if tyres are directional but you can often get an idea from the tread pattern. I don't want directional tyres at all, not even the 4 wheels on the car. most cars as they get older will have uneven tyre wear on one or more tyre and I like to be able to move them around the car when that happens.

23 minutes ago, isetta said:

annoyingly websites like tyreshopper dont point out if tyres are directional but you can often get an idea from the tread pattern. I don't want directional tyres at all, not even the 4 wheels on the car. most cars as they get older will have uneven tyre wear on one or more tyre and I like to be able to move them around the car when that happens.

You obviously don't see the benefits of using Winter or All-Season tyres in Autumn and winter, when the temperatures are cold. I am quite happy with directional treaded tyres and never really had any problems with uneven wear. When I rotate tyres, I change front to back on each side, not diagonally. Remember up until 5 or 10 years ago you could only buy tyres with a directional tread, it was hard to find ones that didn't. Nowadays for summer tyres, it's mostly the opposite.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club