Do Not Sell My Personal Information

smoke from exhaust

wildpunto

Hi, I have a 2007 2.0 tdci duratorq mk3 and I recently started having problems with the glow plug light flashing and the car would only run in limp mode but if I ran it for a few hundred yards, switched it off and restarted it, it was fine for the rest of the day. Then I had a starting problem, the dials went berserk, all the warning lights flashed on and off, and it would not crank over, so I put the battery on charge and after an hour it started but still with flashing glow plug light. I spoke to a mechanic and he said the fault was most likely the EGR valve so I bought a new one, (the one on the car was pretty gunged up) but still the same fault plus it now has started to smoke from the exhaust really badly. has anyone any ideas please.

Thanks.

What colour is the smoke?

If you are having trouble starting and when it runs it drives ok but gives white smoke, it could be a blown head gasket. Coolant is leaking into one of the cylinders and coming out as white smoke.

Your mechanic should have advised you to read the error codes rather than just guessing it could be an expense component like that. Because too few mechanics are equipped with superhero powers like X-ray vision, that's what the error codes are for; to give a clue why the car's computer has set the fault light flashing. So, for under £20 you can buy a dependable code reader from tunnelrat electronics  which will save you loads of money time after time. For instance, a garage might charge you £50 + vat to read your error codes! (every time) Tunnelrat do various readers, mine interfaces with my Windows laptop, other versions use bluetooth to your phone.... tunnelrat are UK based and will advise you if you email them... or another forum member might advise. Once you've got your reader, download a software called Forscan. Windows version is free, I THINK the Android version you pay a small amount for. 🤔 Anyway, bottom line is get your codes read, then at least we'll know why your car's computer (ECU) is upset. 

With ref. to Kevin's reply above,  its most unlikely to be the head gasket on a TDCi, as they're known to be very resilient. 

If you want a good cheap one buy the creader 3001 for £20

I have an ancel ad410 that is good for £40 and very easy to use.

I've just brough a tunnelrat obd2 with USB connection. It plugs into a windows laptop running free download software. It is a little more difficult to use, but has more feature to diagnose faults and you can save your cars data from the programmed modules. You can then reprogram modules later if you need to replace them, rather than have a garage charge hundreds of pounds to do it if the fit a part that needs programming.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club