Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta won't start

BGGuardian

So, I have a problem with Fiesta 1986 1.1. When I turn the ignition key to start position I just hear a click sound and the car won't start. I checked the battery and it was OK I checked the starter and it was OK too. Any clue?

That sounds like either a flat battery or a starter stuck engaged.  Smack the starter with a rubber mallet, or rock car in gear to try and release the ring.

• Like 2

As above, how have you checked the battery and starter?  If they genuinely are good, you'll need to look at the battery cables next.

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

As above, how have you checked the battery and starter?  If they genuinely are good, you'll need to look at the battery cables next.

I took the parts to mechanic and he said they are OK

Does the click come from the solenoid mounted on the side of the starter motor? Whilst there are some tests that can be done on a starter motor whilst of the car, the only way the mechanic could be sure it was fine would be to mount it on a car that takes the same starter motor. Eg if carbon brushes in the motor are poor or the commutator is poor the motor might spin with no load on it but not if under the load of trying to turn the engine.

When was the car last used? Has it stood for years and the engine seized? If you put car in top gear, handbrake off, push car, watch the alternator, does it turn when you push the car(make sure ignition is off)

Check all of the thick cables are tight and clean, not corroded. The live cable and the earth cables

Having same issue. Haven't used car for about 3 days. When you rock the car, do you have the car turned off?

*Ignore that. Didn't read properly.

How long should I charge the car battery for to get it going? I'm borrowing a neighbours 4v charger?

3 minutes ago, CraigJ123 said:

How long should I charge the car battery for to get it going? I'm borrowing a neighbours 4v charger?

4v charger?  Car batteries are 12v. 

There's not really any way to tell how long it'll take to charge but I'd say try it after an hour if you need to use the car today.  If there's no rush, just leave it plugged in for as long as you can if it's an auto-cutoff charger.

Ta. Just tried it now (1 hour) and nearly started. Trying to get to ASDA (30min trip and shuts at 4pm). I'll give it another hour.

can't you bump start it or is there no slope available?     you don't need much power to bump start.  if the battery is good enough for dash lights to come up properly and indicators to work etc that is normally enough power for bump start to work. 

but if battery was flat after three days there must be another issue eg. battery is failing, alternator not charging the battery properly, you do too many short journeys. My car is fine if left for three weeks (probably longer but not tried longer)

It would be a bit tricky. I have a drive which dips a bit towards the house and then a public drive after the gates. I'd have to push the car backwards to across the road and then push the car forward I believe.

After an hour and three quarters I tried again and got it started and got back with a trip to the ASDA petrol self service petrol station. 

Not sure about connections or state of battery. I do do a few short trips so going to buy a car battery charger. I've just bough some jump leads as well to keep in car also.

Screenshot_20200329-161334.jpg

The 4 might be the amp? My understanding of volts and amps could do with a refresher.

What's the best car battery charger to get? I'm hoping for around £20 or less and delivery asap in case it happens again or should I be ok with a 1.75hr charge for a while? (Presuming there's no major issue).

1.75hr is not a lot on a flat battery. All batteries have a AH number. Ampere hours.so your battery might be eg 48ah . So that would take 12 hrs from flat to charged if charging at 4 amps . Of course driving it will have added more charge to it. I can’t advise which charger to buy. Mine is at least 30 years old.  But I can say a lot of cheap jump leads are poor when it comes to using them. Copper cables, the thicker the better, but many have poor crocodile clips that don’t make good connection to terminals and also have poor connection from jump lead cable to crocodile clip. 

I charged the battery while it was still in the car. From the tutorials I viewed, it showed the battery still in the car so I presumed this was ok and didn't disconnect anything. Was that ok? My dad said I should have disconnected it as it damages the car. Any thoughts?

Edit: I spoke to my dad a minute ago and I asked him was he doing something with my car while I was missing and he said he was trying a reley on the battery and the cables he used fired up. Could a cable from the car be burned and this is the reason to not start? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 10:07 AM, BGGuardian said:

So, I have a problem with Fiesta 1986 1.1. When I turn the ignition key to start position  Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire I just hear a click sound and the car won't start. I checked the battery and it was OK I checked the starter and it was OK too. Any clue?

ou need to use the car today.  If there's no rush, just leave it plugged in for as long as you can if it's an auto-cutoff charger.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club