Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over extend inner CV joint

n_hudson

So, had to replace the drivers side shock and spring this past weekend. I followed a Youtube video guide and managed to over extend and pop out the inner CV joint. I took the boot off and with very little effort it went back in almost as easy as it dropped out. I didn't loose any bearings or grease... but had to use cable ties to seal the boot. 

My question is, it the CV/shaft only held in place by the complete hub/leg assembly? Never having had this happen on ANY car before, is this going to now be an issue - Should I replace the whole shaft? I've driven the car and various speeds, hit a few deliberate bumps and its all remained intact.

Yes that's right, the inner CV is designed to move in and out to compensate for the 'arc' of the suspension travel.  It is just held together by the wishbone and the strut.  If either of those break, the inner CV will come apart, but you'll have bigger issues to worry about by that point! :laugh: 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes that's right, the inner CV is designed to move in and out to compensate for the 'arc' of the suspension travel.  It is just held together by the wishbone and the strut.  If either of those break, the inner CV will come apart, but you'll have bigger issues to worry about by that point! :laugh: 

Awesome news! Thanks for the reply! 

The design of how the strut goes into the hub carrier is a little rubbish IMO... 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club