Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charging the car battery - lack of use

mightyoakbob

Hi,

My 2013 Titanium ecoboost Focus has not been started for 3 weeks dues to the virus. I'm concerned about the battery. Do I have to disconnect it from the car to charge it or can it be at least trickle charged  whislt still connected to the car?  My concern about disconnecting the battery is that I was never given any code to get the radio working again which previous fords I've had needed following battery removal. The radio and console system is a Sony.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Bob.

There are no radio codes any more.

The only thing you will need to do is recalibrate the electric windows if you take the battery out of the car completely.

Trickle charging on car is 100% OK, as long as you have a modern 'smart' charger that can sense when it's charged and turn itself off to sleep mode when done. Most modern chargers will do that, nothing special...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vindi93 said:

There are no radio codes any more.

The only thing you will need to do is recalibrate the electric windows if you take the battery out of the car completely.

Thank you for that. Is it essential to disconnect the battery from the car?

Is there any chance you know of any on-line instructions for window recalibration?

I have a ctek ct5, all I do is connect to positive terminal in the car, then the ground point of the chassis, then I plug it in.

i just make sure I don’t crimp any cables, make sure I don’t use a long extension, and I try to make sure the charger and battery has some ventilation for heat purposes. 

just to clarify I don’t disconnect the battery in the car, I just attach positive clamp to the positive battery post, then the negative clamp goes on the ground point.

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Trickle charging on car is 100% OK, as long as you have a modern 'smart' charger that can sense when it's charged and turn itself off to sleep mode when done. Most modern chargers will do that, nothing special...

That's interesting thanks. Is this self switch off to protect the car's electrics or the battery?

4 minutes ago, mightyoakbob said:

Thank you for that. Is it essential to disconnect the battery from the car?

Is there any chance you know of any on-line instructions for window recalibration?

Re calibration is pretty standard  close window and hold button up for 5 seconds, roll window down and hold window button down for 5 seconds.

2 minutes ago, mightyoakbob said:

That's interesting thanks. Is this self switch off to protect the car's electrics or the battery?

Both...

If you are in the market, I can recommend the Maypole 7423, it has a lovely feature which many lack in that if you have a power cut, it will return automatically to charge when power is resumed. If you leave a car on charge and go on holiday, you'll see how useful that is LOL (most will need a manual restart!)

81tuVwNOktL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.04f12d41537dfe2b1a199bbb919a0b28.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone, I've ordered a 'smart charger' now, just hope it arrives before the car cannot unlock the doors.

Bob.

• Like 1

If you are in the market, I can recommend the Maypole 7423, it has a lovely feature which many lack in that if you have a power cut, it will return automatically to charge when power is resumed. If you leave a car on charge and go on holiday, you'll see how useful that is LOL (most will need a manual restart!)

I’ve been using the exact same one recently, absolute belting bit of kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mightyoakbob said:

just hope it arrives before the car cannot unlock the doors.

Bob.

My one seemed to leave the doors unlocked when it was really low, so I could still get in to open the bonnet.

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Is this suitable for an efb battery do you know?  

Is this suitable for an efb battery do you know?  

Yes works fine, father has stop start and used this charger as well with no issues over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

Why spend money on a charger?, you don't need one, just start and run the car up to temperature for about 15 minutes twice a week and that will keep your battery charged. Simple.

41 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

@Nismex hi, why not a long extension lead?

Just my paranoia, no reason really. I only have 1 extension cord and its 25m long. I don't like using them unless they are fully unwound, and I'd only need about 2 meters of extension, so instead I just move my car closed to the garage.

I'd prefer to charge my battery with the charger just simply because I can leave it alone, otherwise I'd have to wait with the car. Idling would work, but the driveway is next to our neighbours living room and it would be inconsiderate of me to idle my car on the driveway next to them due to the exhaust fumes and noise. I like to try and be considerate to my neighbours 🙂

• Like 1

Why don't you just go for a 30-minute drive round the block? It's not only the battery you have to worry about. As we don't know how long this is going to last i'd take it out to keep the seals lubricated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nismex said:

Just my paranoia, no reason really. I only have 1 extension cord and its 25m long. I don't like using them unless they are fully unwound, and I'd only need about 2 meters of extension, so instead I just move my car closed to the garage.

I'd prefer to charge my battery with the charger just simply because I can leave it alone, otherwise I'd have to wait with the car. Idling would work, but the driveway is next to our neighbours living room and it would be inconsiderate of me to idle my car on the driveway next to them due to the exhaust fumes and noise. I like to try and be considerate to my neighbours 🙂

If you are using something heavy in 'juice', like a fan heater, yes, you should fully uncoil an extension lead, but to be honest, a battery charger will use much less than 1A so there will be no issue if you don't uncoil it. Bet you unplug your TV at night too just in case LOL

Just now, StephenFord said:

If you are using something heavy in 'juice', like a fan heater, yes, you should fully uncoil an extension lead, but to be honest, a battery charger will use much less than 1A so there will be no issue if you don't uncoil it. Bet you unplug your TV at night too just in case LOL

Hah, you're right, it's one of those weird habits. 😄 The charger only uses up to 3.8A at most! 

10 minutes ago, VFR800 said:

Why don't you just go for a 30-minute drive round the block? It's not only the battery you have to worry about. As we don't know how long this is going to last i'd take it out to keep the seals lubricated.

With respect, if you car cannot survive a 12 weeks hibernation, then you have bigger issues to worry about.

• Like 1

I can't see any harm coming to a car just sat in a drive for 12 weeks or so, I don't see any manufacture driving thousands of unsold cars around. Sometime they come off the line and could be stood for months unsold.

1 minute ago, Mark-UK said:

I can't see any harm coming to a car just sat in a drive for 12 weeks or so, I don't see any manufacture driving thousands of unsold cars around. Sometime they come off the line and could be stood for months unsold.

Correct, I am talking from experience as In the last few years I have had the misfortune to have had critical illness on 2 occasions, both putting me out of action for more than 3 months. Both times my car started first time on my return with no issues...

• Like 1

There's a huge difference between leaving brand new cars for a while, and used cars with all the parts having some degree of wear on them by that point.

It is leaving cars stood (especially on damp grass/mud) that ruins them in my experience.  They need to be warmed up to keep the oil moving, the hydraulic lifters from draining, burn off any condensation in the engine and throughout the exhaust and remove any damp from electrical components.  They also need to be driven to keep all the seals and bushes supple, bearings and ball joints moving, brakes free from rust, slide pins moving and tyres free from flat-spots.  

And of course, a 6 year old battery will be far more likely to be ruined by 3 months flat than a brand new one...

Some people will get away with leaving the car for 3 months without an issue, others won't, too many variables at the end of the day!

• Like 2

Tom, just to let you know, the car in question at the time was a 22 year old Celica GT4, however, it was a Toyota LOL So I guess I was lucky 😄...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club