Do Not Sell My Personal Information

steering judder

johnboy1958

Hi guy's, hope everyone is keeping safe :)

After my car had been standing for 2 weeks (corona) i had to bump start it which was easy enough to do. However when i turn the steering wheel either way there is a JUDDER that can be felt through the steering wheel. Even if stationary the juddering can still be felt ( this was not happening prior to standing for 2 weeks ) 

Any ideas ???? 

Stay safe everyone :):)

Get using the car, might have got stiff whilst not being used.

Possibly a rusty top mount bearing.  If it still feels safe to use, I'd do as above and see if it loosens up on a drive.

What engine? I had 1.6tdci which had hydraulic power steering driven by electric pump. If steering was ever turned without the electric pump running which only runs when engine running it would make the power steering feel odd next day. A sort of pulsing feeling. It was always ok again after a day

• Thanks 1

It's a 1.4 climate. I do not think it is something seized up as i have used the car and it is still the same 😞

I was thinking more low steering fluid, but the level is fine. If it was something seized surely it would be harder to turn the wheel ??

The power steering takes away a lot of the effort you need to turn the wheel so can cover other problems to an extent.

Does the judder move at exactly the same speed as the wheel, or does it stay at a constant speed regardless of if you turn the wheel really quickly or really slowly?  If possible, can you turn the wheel with the engine off and still feel the judder?  If it's a rusty top mount as I suspect, this will judder with the engine off as well as on, if it's a pump issue, it will only occur with the engine running.

No, it turns fine (although a bit stiff 🙂 with the engine off. I think it is a power steering problem. I am going to check the fluid etc. tomorrow weather permitting,as been told if the fluid is low it could cause this 🙂

We'll see :wallbash:

• Like 1

Hi guys and girls, finally got out to check steering fluid this morning, car needed a run out to keep battery charged.

Took the top off steering fluid container { which wasn't tight ) topped it up as was a little lower than should be, and it seem's to have cured the problem.

Whether it was the top not being tight, if that would affect it 😞 or not i'm not certain.

Anyway thank's to everyone for trying to help out, it's really appreciated :yahoo:

Take care all at this horrible time :clapping:

• 3 years later...

Following this thread as I have this juddering , checked the power steering level and was fine . I notice a movement at the top mount strut and nut end. This is visible with the car jacked up and the wheel manually turned to and fro. Is there any other check I can do other than remove the strut and and replace anyway.

3 hours ago, alfapat said:

Following this thread as I have this juddering

Then you're in for a very long boring wait. Yours is the first post here in over 3 years 🤣

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club