Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fusion flexi exhaust replacement

Chris1234

Hi Guys after much work needed for my MOT Inc brake and fuel lines, all brakes, front wishbone drop links and track rods I need to replace the flexi pipe as well...it has passed the test but advisory..slight blow...it looks very hard to get at and the nuts don't look good anyway...is there a guide or has anyone done this job before...I'm thinking whole manifold off..but the heat shield looks hard to remove too with seized bolts...any advice would be appreciated.

P.s. it's a 02 Fusion 1.6 petrol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Had another look at this job... the only way that I can see to get at this join is to take the manifold off and get to the join off the car. The Fusion seems to have a couple of hard to get at parts...the anti roll bar bush needing the subframe dropped to get at is also not Ford's finest design...more will follow when I have time off work to look at stripping it down.

• Like 1

I have the diesel 1.4 and had to replace centre section, one of the bolts snapped for me that are pressed into the front flexi flange. nightmare.

If its same as the derv, then to get to bolts i went from above engine with a really long bar extension - i should have worked them back n forth with more lubricant

really. as for the front - i haven't done one.

The whole of my exhaust is new from the flexi back...I cut the flexi off the centre section to allow fitting of everything back from it...I now just need to get at the bolts on the flange as it comes off the cat which on my car comes straight off the manifold...the bolts seem to be angled too far towards the bulkhead to get a socket on them, and too deep in amongst the subframe to get at from below. The only way I have thought of is to take the manifold/cat unit off then release the bolts on a bench where I can get full access. I am expecting a bad job to get the manifold/cat released though as all  the bolts look a bit corroded around the heat shield area.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi chris

Exhaust bolts are a horrible job to remove, where access is possible and if it's a 13mm, i try hammering a 1/2" (12.5mm) socket on instead.

Did my mk4 astra last week, all sorts to do, and lots of corrosion - i just ended up going at it with the 1mm angle grinder disc. cost 12 quid more in parts but saved hours +,

I also use the cordless impact gun where possible as it shocks them well, but as previously mentioned out with the grinder if it fails.

Actually been thinking i thought you could buy just a universal flexi section and clamp on either end ?

On eBay you can buy universal flexi pipes which you just put a clamp on each end. I don’t know if they have the particular size you need or how easy it is to saw yours off access wise

• Like 1

Yes, in this case this is what i would fit too. 😀 They should be oversized anyway to allow fitting, if too big then cut thin coil shims to compensate - add gasket paste to seal too obviously.

Problem is with exhaust systems as we know is when you start replacing sections you find most other joints are seized or too badly corroded to mate back up.

Thanks for your replies

I already have a new flexibility pipe...the problem is getting at it and any join would be right on a u bend as it comes off the cat...it would have no room to join or form a seal on such a bend.

Looking like taking the whole manifold and cat off and doing it on the bench...crazy Ford design also ARB bush design where whole subframe needs dropped then re aligned...did the design team go on holiday and leave it to the office junior I wonder.

Thanks guys

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club