Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 focus dashcam hardwire

D.s2254

Hi everyone hoping someone can give some advice.

I've recently hardwired my nextbase dashcam to my fuse box, and have noticed on the car stereo display (aftermarket) it’s saying “Batt 14v”. I’m assuming the dashcam is draining the battery, I’ve wired it to the air con fuse 45.

can anyone advise me if this is a wrong fuse to use and if so suggest a good replacement?

thanks in advance 

Why given a reading of 14V do you think something is wrong? On start up, that's what my volt meter reads,,,

I'd suggest you check up what each fuse does on google for your specific focus. I've wired mine and brothers one to a 5 amp fuse and it's perfectly fine. 

Wiring to a higher amp may damage your dashcam in case of a fault because a 45 amp fuse would take longer than a 5 amp to break and may result in a permanent damage.

Our dashcam is always on. My car was outside and I didn't drive for 5 days, everything was fine and started the car up normal. I doubt a dashcam would drain your battery as it has got a very low power consumption, only requires 5v to run.

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Why given a reading of 14V do you think something is wrong? On start up, that's what my volt meter reads,,,

Because my stereo never used to give a battery voltage display until I hardwired the dashcam.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Murat123 said:

I'd suggest you check up what each fuse does on google for your specific focus. I've wired mine and brothers one to a 5 amp fuse and it's perfectly fine. 

Wiring to a higher amp may damage your dashcam in case of a fault because a 45 amp fuse would take longer than a 5 amp to break and may result in a permanent damage.

Our dashcam is always on. My car was outside and I didn't drive for 5 days, everything was fine and started the car up normal. I doubt a dashcam would drain your battery as it has got a very low power consumption, only requires 5v to run.

Hi thanks for your reply, 45 was the fuse number not how many amps it is. I think I’m using a 7.5 amp fuse (air con)

1 hour ago, D.s2254 said:

Hi thanks for your reply, 45 was the fuse number not how many amps it is. I think I’m using a 7.5 amp fuse (air con)

Sorry my mistake 😁 misunderstood. That would be fine not to worry. If it was to drain it, it would give a figure below 12v.

9 hours ago, Murat123 said:

My dashcam would always drain the battery (enough so it would not start) after 4 days of not using the car

In the end I had to rewire it so it was only on when the car was running

1 hour ago, Carl123 said:

My dashcam would always drain the battery (enough so it would not start) after 4 days of not using the car

In the end I had to rewire it so it was only on when the car was running

I'm unsure of why anyone would want to wire any type of 'accessory' that didn't turn off when you left the car? 🧐

23 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm unsure of why anyone would want to wire any type of 'accessory' that didn't turn off when you left the car?

In the case of a dashcam it would be for security, would it not?

6 minutes ago, Carl123 said:

In the case of a dashcam it would be for security, would it not?

Indeed, there has been a swathe of accidental collisions whilst parked up LOL 🤣

53 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Indeed, there has been a swathe of accidental collisions whilst parked up LOL

I'm confused, what does security have to do with "accidental collisions"?

But since you mentioned it, unattended cars get damaged all the time, in car parks, on the street, in people's drives, late at night, drunks, etc etc etc

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carl123 said:

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'm unsure of why anyone would want to wire any type of 'accessory' that didn't turn off when you left the car? 🧐

The dashcam comes on when the ignition is turned on and goes off then the ignition is turned off.

i wasn’t sure if it would still have some voltage going to it. Just not sure why after hardwiring the dash cam the stereo has a batter voltage message on the screen. I guess I was worrying about nothing 😆

• Like 1

I’d say a Coincidence don’t worry 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Just incase someone hits your car while unattended? Then atleast you got footage to see what happened and who done it? 

6 hours ago, D.s2254 said:

The dashcam comes on when the ignition is turned on and goes off then the ignition is turned off.

i wasn’t sure if it would still have some voltage going to it. Just not sure why after hardwiring the dash cam the stereo has a batter voltage message on the screen. I guess I was worrying about nothing 😆

I'd say it was just coincidence too as MrRedman stated.

hi there I have also hard wired my dash cam via a piggy back fuse which is attached to ***** lighter adapter and connected it to same fuse but not noticed any difference in voltage seems constant to what should be and been in there for a year possible battery issue

21 minutes ago, fogger1 said:

hi there I have also hard wired my dash cam via a piggy back fuse which is attached to ***** lighter adapter and connected it to same fuse but not noticed any difference in voltage seems constant to what should be and been in there for a year possible battery issue

Why do people keep commenting that this is a 'battery issue'?? The OP simply stated that after installing the dashcam, that his aftermarket stereo started displaying the battery voltage? I have a bluetooth adapter for my phone and it too displays the voltage when engine is started. My guess is that the stereo has always done it and he has just noticed. (Maybe activated a hidden menu by accident) It certainly isn't an indication of impending doom, unless it starts to display something like 11v, not 14v!

• Like 1