Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front left wheel squeaks when turning anticlockwise

LTIronWolf

Hello all,

After having just changed my clutch I went for a test drive. I immediately noticed that a horrible squeaking sound could be heard whenever I was in motion. I jacked my car up so I could turn my wheel, and noticed that it makes an awful squeaking sound when turning the wheel anticlockwise (as if the car is moving forwards), and only a minor grinding noise when my wheel is turning clockwise (as if going backwards). However, the front right wheel is completely silent when turning in both directions. 
Is this a sign of the brake pads being worn? The noise wasn’t present before changing my clutch and has only surfaced now

Try driving backwards and slamming the brakes on. 

One of the front pads is stuck, driving backwards and slamming the brakes on will free it.

Failing that take the wheel off and check the pad thickness if the noise gets worse when pressing the brakes. Don't forget to use an axle stand if you take the wheel off.

34 minutes ago, Kevin#95 said:

Try driving backwards and slamming the brakes on. 

One of the front pads is stuck, driving backwards and slamming the brakes on will free it.

Failing that take the wheel off and check the pad thickness if the noise gets worse when pressing the brakes. Don't forget to use an axle stand if you take the wheel off.

I tried slamming on the brakes while reversing - no good. I’ll jack the car up and see what’s going on. The noise actually subsides when braking, so I think it might be something else.

I’ve heard that it might also be the dust cover rubbing against the rotor? It does make a sort of grinding noise when reversing and then squeaking when driving forwards. Here’s a link to the video of me turning the wheel while it’s jacked up: https://streamable.com/tlhwu5

I think it is something to do with the pads or caliper rubbing. Might be a spring clip or even a loose stone trapped.

Sound like a drivehaft problem they are removed to change the clutch did the fluids get topped up?

Does sound a bit like a problem I had when a small stone got stuck between disc and calliper bracket

14 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Sound like a drivehaft problem they are removed to change the clutch did the fluids get topped up?

Yes, I filled up the transmission fluid to spec so that should be all fine

I found the issue - the small piece of metal shielding that sits between the brake disc and ball joint was bent so it was rubbing against the disc. Bent it back, everything is good now

• Like 3

Hi everyone I have a ford focus 1.6 titatium 59 plate and lately when im driving at different speeds its like a grinding noise coming from underneath the throttle 

the other day I was driving on motorway and abs light come on at 70 mph and scared me don't know if these are related 

the noise is not all the time but getting more regular can be when driving around a roundabout or in a straight line its a loud noise

really hope someone knows what this is?! my husband been underneath it says every tight and looks fine - just had drive shaft changed brakes all seem to be okay

@beckylouise88 

That's a wheel bearing will be drivers side same symptoms as I had recently and yes its annoying and gets worse. Get the front lifted high and remove the caliper then spin the wheel and you will hear it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club