Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fuel pump relay location

Peter Ramlochan

I have a ford focus1.6 ghia 2009 petrol model and I would like to know the exact location of the fuel pump relay

Relay k4 . There are a couple of slightly different fuse box layouts but the shouldn't be to different to this one. 

Screenshot_20200415-071018.png

Thank you kindly Ian for your reply to my request but unfortunately my relay box under the hood appears to be some what different and therefore the relay layout appears to be out of sync with your model

Thank you kindly Ian for your reply to my request but unfortunately my relay box under the hood appears to be some what different and therefore the relay layout appears to be out of sync with your model. The attached pic is exactly how my own looks. Appreciate any assistance   image.thumb.png.29e565ffedd3974bb722aaa8c281f11e.png

image.png

image.png

your looking at the wrong fuse box. look at the  fuse box in the passengers footwell. 

Hi Ian thanks again for the heads up but could you identify it on this pic because it is not indicated on the fuse box image.thumb.png.8ea9caa2f46c1372e2605fab55756c33.png

Ah, right. If you fuse box layout is as shown in your latest picture, Im led to believe the relay function is integrated into the fusebox unfortunately. Earlier ones had relay separately as per my original image.

26 minutes ago, iantt said:

Ah, right. If you fuse box layout is as shown in your latest picture, Im led to believe the relay function is integrated into the fusebox unfortunately. Earlier ones had relay separately as per my original image.

Okay Ian here's the real issue the fuel in my car ran low but not empty however when I refilled with fuel the car just will not start . I checked the fuel pump fuse which was good and since then I have been looking for the relay to see if there is a problem there before looking at the fuel pump which is highly inaccessible and is very expensive.Will welcome any suggestionc

Cheers 

So have you got 12v at the fuse?  Can you hear the pump prime for a few secs  with ign on? 

I have 12v at the fuse but I cannot hear even a whisper from the pump which lead me to believe it is not energised . I tried depressing the fuel cut off switch but it is not springing back up which suggest that it may be working ??? not sure if thats the way it works Over to you my friend

Cut off does work that way. There's a couple of checks I would do before trying to get to pump and or wiring.  Check for 12 v feed to the cut off switch. Feed should be the black/red wire. Check the inertia switch for continuity with ohm meter. 

But first I would check 12v  the feed to the pump from the fusebox. So the large middle square connector . Unplug it and look on the face for small numbers , there should be a number at edge of each row of pins . You will need to identify pin17 which is green/orange wire. . Once you find that wire, refit the connector and back probe or bare the wire and check for 12v while switching ign on. It should give 12v briefly or 12v cranking. 

Just to confirm, you stopped at petrol station, filled up then immediately would not start? Not start then cut out then not start again? 

Actually what happened , I was away from home and the car was parked by my son's residence for about 2 months without being started When I returned ,I started the car and drove about 7 kilometres to my home, every thing worked fine so I parked in my garage , however after about 5 days I tried to start but the battery went dead so I used a battery charger to get a jump start-200amps. The car started normal but I noticed the gas warning light on so I switched off and then filled about 5 gallons of gas into the tank after which the car started once ,ran for about 30 secs and stalled . It never started since hence my predicament. By the way are you on whats app or Imo? 

On 4/18/2020 at 6:46 AM, iantt said:

Cut off does work that way. There's a couple of checks I would do before trying to get to pump and or wiring.  Check for 12 v feed to the cut off switch. Feed should be the black/red wire. Check the inertia switch for continuity with ohm meter. 

But first I would check 12v  the feed to the pump from the fusebox. So the large middle square connector . Unplug it and look on the face for small numbers , there should be a number at edge of each row of pins . You will need to identify pin17 which is green/orange wire. . Once you find that wire, refit the connector and back probe or bare the wire and check for 12v while switching ign on. It should give 12v briefly or 12v cranking. 

Just to confirm, you stopped at petrol station, filled up then immediately would not start? Not start then cut out then not start again? 

ctually what happened , I was away from home and the car was parked by my son's residence for about 2 months without being started When I returned ,I started the car and drove about 7 kilometres to my home, every thing worked fine so I parked in my garage , however after about 5 days I tried to start but the battery went dead so I used a battery charger to get a jump start-200amps. The car started normal but I noticed the gas warning light on so I switched off and then filled about 5 gallons of gas into the tank after which the car started once ,ran for about 30 secs and stalled . It never started since hence my predicament. By the way are you on whats app or Imo? 

Actually what happened , I was away from home and the car was parked by my son's residence for about 2 months without being started When I returned ,I started the car and drove about 7 kilometres to my home, every thing worked fine so I parked in my garage , however after about 5 days I tried to start but the battery went dead so I used a battery charger to get a jump start-200amps. The car started normal but I noticed the gas warning light on so I switched off and then filled about 5 gallons of gas into the tank after which the car started once ,ran for about 30 secs and stalled . It never started since hence my predicament. By the way are you on whats app or Imo

Not on whatsapp. Or imo whatever that is.

Have you had chance to check the wire at the middle connector that feeds the pump? 

Also it might be worthwhile to see if there's any dtcs with a code reader as you may have other issues causing the non start thinking it's the pump ? 

Hi Ian Look what I have done so far-- FUEL pump fuse  good 12v.  Checked the connector but could not lift it from the board , there is also a black covering over this connector which I could not remove also as Idid not want to break it. However, I removed the wire from the gas cut off switch and checked the voltage which is 4.8 V.    I also tried bridging the both wires but no response from the pump Need some guidance. Don't know much about code readers -- Do they work if the engine turns over but do not start ??/. IMO. is another app that functions similar to whatsapp. Should try whats app its free  unlimited talk!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club