Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door unlocking

Wil19

Hi, new to the forum and was wondering if anybody can help me out with my problem. I have a Ford fiesta st line mk8 and the other day I had a flat battery, probably due to car being stood for a couple of weeks. Anyway I got the AA out and they got it started and then I ran it for a couple of hours but when I came to lock the car, I press the key to lock and nothing  happens. Both keys will not work, only can open and lock the car by using the blade key in the fob. Car starts ok with the button start. Anyone know if I can reset my keys or need to take it to a dealer? Thanks

I found this online

Turn key from 0 to 2 (so don't actually start the engine) four times in quick succession. You will hear a beep. Press any button on fob. And hey presto

If it's push button the press the button without the clutch or break depressed.

Thanks, will give it a go in the morning. 

If you don't find a solution could always try disconnecting the car battery for a few minutes, I believe this is like a battery reset and can help with issues. Not quite sure on the length of time you should leave it disconnected, might be about 5mins?

I don't know what effect this would have on the Fiesta and if it would mess with anything else though, on my focus I had to just re-enter the radio code.

Only reason I mention this is on my old Focus with keyless entry I had issues unlocking car, and AA man disconnected the car battery for around 5 minutes, this solved the issue.

I would defiantly think about trying that before going to the garage.

Did the AA man disconnect the battery?

Have tried pressing the button four times but no joy. Not sure if the AA man disconnected the battery or just charged it. Might be time for a new battery, not sure if they are under the warranty. The stop start hasn't worked since October and that is with driving 40mls a day during the week. Will have a look at disconnecting the battery to see if that works. 

4 hours ago, Wil19 said:

Have tried pressing the button four times but no joy. Not sure if the AA man disconnected the battery or just charged it. Might be time for a new battery, not sure if they are under the warranty. The stop start hasn't worked since October and that is with driving 40mls a day during the week. Will have a look at disconnecting the battery to see if that works. 

Mine went flat back in February at just over 2 years old.  AA came out and got it started (luckily never had the keyfob issue you're having).  I really don't think these Fiestas enjoy being left for extended periods without them running the battery flat - so much for all the wonderfully 'smart' technology 😉  It kinda removes the possibility of leaving them in extended stay airport parking (well, not an issue we'll be having soon I know).  Really never noticed this with any other new car I've had.

I took my car in to the dealership as the Start / Stop hadn't worked for a while afterwards and they just fully charged the battery overnight - now it sometimes works and others not.

Careful with a battery pull as I've done this perviously to try to correct a dash LCD failure.  It ended up throwing a steering column malfunction error at me that was fixed by the AA guy disconnecting the BCU (Body Control Unit) momentarily.  Not sure if it was the length of time the battery was disconnected that caused the problem as mine was off for an hour or so.

I wouldn't worry if doing a battery pull, for 5mins it would be fine. You shouldn't have any issues, unused to remove the battery on my Mk5 Mondeo and never had an issue. It's a 'go to' fix for wierd issues, as recommended by Mos from the IT crowd [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Need the car in the morning to go to the hospital, hopefully it will start. When I get back I will have a look at disconnecting the battery

• Like 1

Car started up ok this morning, gave it a 45 minute run out and put it back on the drive. Doors now lock and open using the key fobs. I presume they didn't work before as the was insufficient power in the battery, so now think it's time for a new battery.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wil19 said:

Car started up ok this morning, gave it a 45 minute run out and put it back on the drive. Doors now lock and open using the key fobs. I presume they didn't work before as the was insufficient power in the battery, so now think it's time for a new battery.

That's brilliant, really glad it's working again.  It's a battle keeping batteries going at the minute.  Seem to be seeing a lot of MK8s with dead ones on here at the minute.  Been giving mine a weekly 45 - 60 minute run doing shopping for a few people and it's been keeping the battery alive.

I've been setting the alarm on reduced as well in the hope that it helps minimise the drain.

I started looking at new batteries and a few people recommended tayna.co.uk.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/tools/battery-wizard

The sizing needs checking so be careful to get the right one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tef89 said:

That's brilliant, really glad it's working again.  It's a battle keeping batteries going at the minute.  Seem to be seeing a lot of MK8s with dead ones on here at the minute.  Been giving mine a weekly 45 - 60 minute run doing shopping for a few people and it's been keeping the battery alive.

I've been setting the alarm on reduced as well in the hope that it helps minimise the drain.

I started looking at new batteries and a few people recommended tayna.co.uk.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/tools/battery-wizard

The sizing needs checking so be careful to get the right one.

I thought a car battery should last for around 8 years.

I can see why a MK8 battery might be less because of the extra wear on it from things like start/stop and all the extras these cars have, but surely they should be lasting longer than 2-3 years, when did the MK8 come out?

Depends on the battery, Ford batteries are built down to a spec, my original Ford batteries often fail just after the warranty ends.  It's not only Ford batteries to be fair, often third party batteries fail just after their warranty ends.

50 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I thought a car battery should last for around 8 years.

I can see why a MK8 battery might be less because of the extra wear on it from things like start/stop and all the extras these cars have, but surely they should be lasting longer than 2-3 years, when did the MK8 come out?

I think the MK8 came out Q2 2017.

I'm not overly impressed either.  I think a modern car should (with a normal usage pattern) be able to be left for 10 -14 days without the battery dying.  My usage pattern recently was short journeys, then being left for a week(ish) so I kinda knew it might happen for me, even though I nursed the battery for the last 6 months.

I've left a lot of cars in long term parking for holidays etc in the past and never had this issue, let alone on a modern car.

My fiesta is 4.5 yrs old and battery fine.my previous fiesta 2007 year - the battery was just over 10 yrs old when replaced but to be fair it had been getting iffy for a few months but definitely no problems until at least 9 yrs old

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tef89 said:

I think the MK8 came out Q2 2017.

I'm not overly impressed either.  I think a modern car should (with a normal usage pattern) be able to be left for 10 -14 days without the battery dying.  My usage pattern recently was short journeys, then being left for a week(ish) so I kinda knew it might happen for me, even though I nursed the battery for the last 6 months.

I've left a lot of cars in long term parking for holidays etc in the past and never had this issue, let alone on a modern car.

Yeah, my last car a 2010 focus mk2.5, the battery lasted a good 8 years, I replaced it towards the end just before selling it on.

• Like 1