Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Easy Fill Fuel Flap Stuck Open - Broken?

FordTheWin

So today after a long hospital shift, I decided to refuel my Ford Focus MK2.5 Zetec 1.6 Petrol. After fully inserting the fuel nozzle in through the flaps I pressed fully on the pump handle which sounded like it was flowing much slower than usual. A second or two after I hear a click, so I release the pump, wait a second and then proceed to press the pump again. This time a small amount went in and the rest started spilling out and onto the forecourt.

Now, I looked closer at the easy fill flaps and noticed that the fuel flap looked like it was stuck open, and the black plastic nozzle guide looks off centre, as if it has dropped down. The picture below explains this better:

I then went to fill up at a different pump and the same thing happened again, after inserting the nozzle and pressing the pump, It sounds like the pump nozzle clicks off, and after pressing the pump again, the fuel spills out.

Please help me guys, I don't have a clue as to why this has happened or what the remedy is, what can I do to fix this.

Appreciate your time,

Thank you 😃👍

IMG_20200416_171616.jpg

From memory, the black plastic moves to allow the flap to open. If you try with your fingers you shouldn't be able to open it manually. 

Some fuel stations pump fuel too quickly for the filler neck and it'll shut off.

You can try using the emergency nozzle and fill through that with a Jerry can if you want to test it, but have you ascertained that your fuel tank is definitely not full and your fuel sender is faulty?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Micro said:

From memory, the black plastic moves to allow the flap to open. If you try with your fingers you shouldn't be able to open it manually. 

Some fuel stations pump fuel too quickly for the filler neck and it'll shut off.

You can try using the emergency nozzle and fill through that with a Jerry can if you want to test it, but have you ascertained that your fuel tank is definitely not full and your fuel sender is faulty?

On my first fill, I had 32miles of fuel left, after filling I turned the ignition and saw that the fuel now read 96miles of fuel, so it seems that it is reading fuel properly. My tank is only about 80miles full now after getting the car home.

I have filled up at other Esso and Asda fuel stations where I always depress the fuel pump fully and have never had problems, but maybe this particular Asda Fuel station has quicker filling pumps, I'm not sure.

Will an emergency nozzle work with a MK2.5 petrol focus? Only asking because I checked on eBay for one and it keeps saying on every item page that it's not compatible according to ebay's compatible parts finder. Could you give me a part number or an eBay listing that would work with my car. 

Again thank you so much, this is very stressful on top of everything else at the moment and I've been looking online for the last hour but it's been very difficult to find relevant info, so I really appreciate your help mate. 😀

Have you tried You Tube? see if anyone else has had this problem 

An hour ago I went and filled up at a Shell Fuel station and didn't have any problems at all. Now have half a tank of fuel, so it seems it was the Asda pump that was at fault, maybe in future I'll only half press the pump because it could well be that the pump is filling too fast.

Also, having looked for other images of the easy fuel system in my car, it looks like everything is normal and that's how it's always been. 

Thanks again everyone.👍

• Like 3

The emergency funnel should be with your spare wheel in the polystyrene - it basically mimics a petrol nozzle and allows you to fill from a Jerry can.

I always slowly depress the handle when pumping fuel, it prevents shooting massive amounts of petrol/diesel out if for some reason there's an airlock or blockage in the fuel filler neck.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I just found this post, because my "easy fill" petrol tank (Zetec 1.6) is actually jammed shut! There IS a Youtube video showing how to use compressed air then WD40 to loosen it, then poke it with the nozzle of a jerry can. Did that, it didn't work - but now I see that one of the little plastic clips that holds the metal plate shut is actually broken! I've booked it in to my local Ford garage on Monday, shall I come back here and give an update on the cost...? Or would that be too depressing?

I just can't see how any designer thought it would be a good idea to have moving plastic parts in such a position, I've never had that in any of my previous cars. 

• Like 2

I'll like to know the cost, it's good to know the cost of potential repairs. I hop it isn't too much. Good luck.

• Like 1

Just got back with my little pride and joy - it needed a new inlet valve, £53.20, labour £34.40, plus VAT = a total of £105.12. Not as bad as I was expecting, but I still think it's a daft design. 😁

And yes, I am bearing in mind that my car is knocking on a bit, like me, so we've all got bits dropping off...

• Like 2

That’s a pity you couldn’t fit it yourself , £9 for an inlet valve . But yeah £50+ for a genuine ford part. £35 plus vat labours probably half hour . 

On 11/2/2020 at 4:48 PM, Peecee said:

Just got back with my little pride and joy - it needed a new inlet valve, £53.20, labour £34.40, plus VAT = a total of £105.12. Not as bad as I was expecting, but I still think it's a daft design. 😁

And yes, I am bearing in mind that my car is knocking on a bit, like me, so we've all got bits dropping off...

A lot better than I thought  to be fair.

On 11/2/2020 at 5:38 PM, Alex.S said:

That’s a pity you couldn’t fit it yourself , £9 for an inlet valve . But yeah £50+ for a genuine ford part. £35 plus vat labours probably half hour . 

True, I love DIY - but my dad was the one who fixed cars with chicken wire, blocks of wood and bits of string, I would probably have ended up with some leftover parts if I'd tried it. 😁

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

My Ford C-Max 2015 diesel has failed it’s MOT because the seal is broken on the fuel “easy fill”. Does anybody know if this can be fixed without having to replace the entire housing unit like Halfords have suggested? Or is it possible to just convert it to a screw cap fitting - like they were originally?! Thanks! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club