Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible purchase Fiesta ST Line 140

DanE98

After searching online, I’ve found a car with the extras I wanted (city pack and 8 inch screen) but the price seems a bit lower than it should be. They have 2 18 plates that are both around £12,000 in the same spec.

As this is a 2017 67 reg, are there any issues with early ones that were sorted by 2018? Is the 140 engine any good or would I be better off with the 100 or 125?

Thanks

image.png

Can't comment on early issues.

What's the mileage?

Just for reference I purchase an St-line x late last year, 19 plate with 800miles on the clock for 16k that was with a part-x my old focus.

It came with a lot of extras like 18" alloys, sunroof, LED headlights.

That was with Ford Direct.

The 140 is loverly to drive, not sure how it compares with the 100/125 engines.

21 minutes ago, DanE98 said:

After searching online, I’ve found a car with the extras I wanted (city pack and 8 inch screen) but the price seems a bit lower than it should be. They have 2 18 plates that are both around £12,000 in the same spec.

As this is a 2017 67 reg, are there any issues with early ones that were sorted by 2018? Is the 140 engine any good or would I be better off with the 100 or 125?

Thanks

image.png

No specific issues as such, the specifications and minor details did change over time but nothing between 67 plates and 18.

i have the 140 engine and it’s a very good engine. As a person who drives alone most of the time, it offers very adequate performance and has so far been quite cheap overall to run and maintain. 

I wouldn’t recommend the 100 simply because the price differences aren’t that big between the 100 and 125 and the performance difference is kind of noticeable. 

Mountune do offer a remap for the 125 which brings it to 140ps and a bit more torque than an out of the factory 140 but it’s about £3-400 so you’d really have to be bothered about the extra 15ps to warrant the price. 

If you can get a car with what you want with the 140, then do it but otherwise, the 125 is a sweet spot of them all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Can't comment on early issues.

What's the mileage?

Just for reference I purchase an St-line x late last year, 19 plate with 800miles on the clock for 16k that was with a part-x my old focus.

It came with a lot of extras like 18" alloys, sunroof, LED headlights.

That was with Ford Direct.

The 140 is loverly to drive, not sure how it compares with the 100/125 engines.

The mileage is just under 20,000

36 minutes ago, DanE98 said:

Thanks

image.png

Mine is a 67 plate and the only initial problem I (and a number of others) had is the GPS signal failure icon that would render the sat-nav useless.

After last summer the issue mysteriously disappeared and it now works as it should.  I've not really seen many people on the forum with the issue in later models.

I have the 125 and it's nippy enough but I did want the 140 but culdn't find the one I needed.  I'd definitely get the 140 if I had a choice, but the 125 is better than the 100 by a noticable margin for sure.

For reference I paid 14200 (after the 500 quid discount for the GPS issue) in October 2018 with pretty much every extra there was lol (Ford Direct car).  It had 7,000 miles on the clock.  It's a Titanium though, not an ST-Line.

• Like 1

You may have to wait a bit:...

• Please do not visit a retailer or dealership.

Under current restrictions, no dealerships are allowed to open their premises for retail sales, but may still be available for aftersales and servicing for key workers and emergency services.

Also, I’m not sure what the difference in insurance would be between the 125 and 140 as I’m only 21 but it doesn’t seem that much more.

5 minutes ago, DanE98 said:

Also, I’m not sure what the difference in insurance would be between the 125 and 140 as I’m only 21 but it doesn’t seem that much more.

I was 21 when I got mine, we were talking a few quid difference 2 years ago, pretty sure things won’t be all that different now. Check out QuoteMeHappy as an insurance company, just got a new quote and cover with them and they were about £100 cheaper than the next reasonable offering

Other than similar weird GPS issues to Gary, I've had no problems in 2 years. 

I'd go for the 140 if you've found a nice one. Even new, there was very little price difference and it does feel a bit quicker - as much due to the lower overall gearing as the extra 15ps imo.

The downside with the 140 was the tendency to eat gearboxes on the Mk 7.5 - I've heard of no problems with the current 6 speed on the Mk 8.

The 140 is 2 groups higher than the 125 but how that translates into pound notes I don't know! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Other than similar weird GPS issues to Gary, I've had no problems in 2 years. 

I'd go for the 140 if you've found a nice one. Even new, there was very little price difference and it does feel a bit quicker - as much due to the lower overall gearing as the extra 15ps imo.

The 140 is 2 groups higher than the 125 but how that translates into pound notes I don't know! 

Back when getting mine, I think the difference between the 125 and 140 was £350 on a new vehicle, not that big considering the purchase pricing anyway.

Not sure what the pricing is like now but I did notice a new well equipped Fiesta is quite pricey in the new pricing list with a few options ticked. Saying that if Audi can charge £30k for an A1, I’m sure Ford can charge £22k for a ST Line X with a few options ticked

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've had no problems in 2 years. 

I suppose I should have mentioned the "low battery warning" issue which seems common on Mk 8 Fiestas and Mk 4 Focuses, though as I've mentioned elsewhere it seems to appear at random and mine has always started first touch of the button.

1 hour ago, DanE98 said:

Im 20 and i have an St line x 140. My insuance is jjust over 1 Grand. I previously have a 64 plate 100 bhp fiesta and that was £1800 on insurance!!!

57 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

My insuance is jjust over 1 Grand. I previously have a 64 plate 100 bhp fiesta and that was £1800 on insurance!!!

Insurance is so weird. So if it reduced £800 for a 40 bhp increase, if you went up to an ST they'd be paying you in theory, lol!😀 

I remember a few years back asking my insurer how the premium would vary if I swapped the Honda Civic 1.6 I had at the time, for a Type-R, and was quoted less!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all, 

I have an ST-Line X 140 2018. The 140 has a bigger turbo than the 100 and 125. It is a lovely car. I am the second owner. Ive done about 14k in the last 8 months. Witinin 2 weeks of having it there was a loud gushing noise because air con pipe failed. It was sorted out within a few days by a local dealer.

Ive had the stop start go stupid a few times. Not starting when you go to pul away at a junction. It gives an engine fault but luckly it restarts. You just get people beep at you thinking you cant drive. I have had another issue where i was going about 70 on the motorway and it came up with a fault and went into a limp mode I guess, stuck at max 35-40mph. Pulled over restarted and fine. 

I still really enjoy it tho lots of fun to drive and the X has the half leather seats and arm rest that does not come with the ST line. 

I have a Fiesta St-line 140 2018 and it's a great car. Changed from a Focus last September and had no issues apart from the stop/start not working since October. battery was flat last week but that was due to not using car during lockdown. Would definitely recommend the 140 version as its nippy enough when you knock it out of eco mode.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:59 AM, DanE98 said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

We have 2 X Fiesta St Line X 140 fords now , both from new and both are very good cars. The Mrs is older (mar 2018) and still has the erratic Satnav issue ,  had broken headlamp brackets and a failed 02 sensor (all fixed under warranty) but mine from November (2019) has no issues at all at this time.

The reverse camera on both is a bit obscured in wet weather and is difficult to see things through until it has been wiped but everything else seems good.

Our insurance is very reasonable for a really good comprehensive policy but we both have 15+ years no claims , no points, we are middle aged and that is through churchill.

Same on my Focus.  As soon as it rains the camera gets covered and isn't much use.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:59 AM, DanE98 said:

I got insured when I was 18, the 140 insurance was offered £25 more than the 125

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club