Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another EGR valve question......

loony

Problem: Engine light shows, limp mode restriceted RPM to 3000, error on dash engine malfunction service now message.

Car does 6 miles a day on cheap diesel tops and rarely does motorway runs. blocked DPF?

we tried to clear the codes but without even starting the engine P245A-13 comes back immediately.

we are pretty sure that the DPF is not doing a regen beacuse of the error.

Mk3 2013 1.6 TDCI econetic which is giving error code P245A-13 which applies to the EGR cooling solenoid circuit. the solenoid is located rear of engine left hand side.

I have no ramp to get at this solenoid easily however I am thinking the problem that caused the solenoid to fail is most likely a blocked sooted up EGR valve.

I can see the location of the EGR valve but removing it looks painful.

I cant find any guide that show this kind of setup so has anyone got instructions how to remove this type EGR for a clean?

NB7gQkll.jpg

L9MydRzl.jpg

9yj74x1l.jpg

jBOE0HHl.jpg

u8rzfJal.jpg

1zc9idjl.jpg

Sounds like it needs a good blast down the motorway, accelerating in every gear, or drive in higher gears when making. A bit of tigress (once current restrictions are lifted of course... ) or you could get the engine warm then rev it like a maniac on the driveway to clear away any dirt! Then delete the code.. 

have a focus that does this every so many weeks and this does seem to sort it out for a bit... 

however, there are some much more knowledgable people on this forum who could point you in a better direction 👍 

The EGR on the 8v engine is usually pretty reliable compared to the old 16v ones, we very rarely see any broken or coked up on here, though admittedly the cars are getting older now.

The PCM won't allow the DPF to regen until it can use the cooler bypass, so taking it for a thrash is unlikely to work here unfortunately.  EGR can be used to control the burn inside the DPF once regen has started, but obviously the last thing you want during regen is cold recirc gasses, hence the cooler bypass.

I know it's not the answer you want but I really would look into the bypass wiring first.

I tried to get the EGR off but it was beyond poxy, so i looked at the cooler solenoid, seems to be ok. wiring all good. vacuum pipes are good and working , needs to be voltage tested, and could be faulty as well...... P/N 9688124580

But... Since then i have had a good look at the turbo inlet veins and the basically it is pretty tight in there.

Removed the turbo and on the bench it wont spin freely and definitely has resistance and even with a blast from an airgun will not spin very fast and stops almost immedieatly.

It would make sense that all the error codes popping up are because the turbo is knackered and the rest of the system trying to compensate.

Allthough ford are apparently meant to do an oil change every year on this car, the oil is black and thin with 2 months to go before so called service. Air filter absolutely filthy after limited mileage. more like the original filter dirty.

Had this with a astravan and turbo was the problem after changing just about everyting else. same with a mercedes sprinter too.

Owner now looking at replacement turbo options. not going the cartridge route.

4 hours ago, Fordfootforward said:

Sounds like it needs a good blast down the motorway, accelerating in every gear, or drive in higher gears when making. A bit of tigress (once current restrictions are lifted of course... ) or you could get the engine warm then rev it like a maniac on the driveway to clear away any dirt! Then delete the code.. 

have a focus that does this every so many weeks and this does seem to sort it out for a bit... 

however, there are some much more knowledgable people on this forum who could point you in a better direction 👍 

Did that but it limps out at 3000 rpm so it wont blast. zero power on acceleration all gears. P245A code comes back immediatley cant be cleared after the rest are cleared.

Can anyone with a ecoNetic 1.6 NGDB tell me if this noise from the EGR is normal after engine stop?

Tried swapping the EGR cooler solenoid valve 9688124580 on the back of the engine made no difference.

Next is to remove the EGR valve (anyone got instructions how to do this on a econetic NGDB?

its not the 2 bolt type thats sits on top, it seems to be fixed to a housing) otherwise i will remove the whole manifold.

10a61b0d-b514-40cc-93c5-a5afebbd913d.jpg

Had the turbo apart and cleaned up the variable part which made the turbo shaft spin freeier, still got the error message and limp mode.

Doesn't seem to be much vacuum from the pipe conneted to the MAF sensor, is this correct?

There also seems to be an air leak around the EGR to throttle control vale plastic pipe, need to check futher.

7 hours ago, loony said:

Can anyone with a ecoNetic 1.6 NGDB tell me if this noise from the EGR is normal after engine stop?

My parents 1.6 Fiesta makes exactly this racket on shutting off... always wondered what it was!

6 miles a day, all urban and inner city driving? I'd put money on the DPF being blocked. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i found a broken vacuum pipe and replaced it with rubber vacuum hose.

being a plonker i didnt mark which pipes went where. so the solenoid has 3 unions. One has a green oring which goes to the turbo actuator. 

there is a grey vacuum pipe which comes out of the vacuum pump and a black one.

On the solenoid which union should the grey pipe go to?

jkLsxLEl.jpg

Vac pump goes to C at the bottom.

• Like 1

cheers

Im looking for recalls on this car and have gone thru ETIS with the VIN i get ACCESS TO GOASIS (196) nothing else.

This is a 2013 1.6 Econetic and i read somewhere that the ECM ECU needs a reflash or update to get rid of a glitch error making the "engine malfunction service now" message and limp mode happen.

does anyone know of this for a UK focus? 

42 minutes ago, loony said:

cheers

Im looking for recalls on this car and have gone thru ETIS with the VIN i get ACCESS TO GOASIS (196) nothing else.

This is a 2013 1.6 Econetic and i read somewhere that the ECM ECU needs a reflash or update to get rid of a glitch error making the "engine malfunction service now" message and limp mode happen.

does anyone know of this for a UK focus? 

No updates spring to mind. I checked tsb notices and nothing there either. 

I take it you have checked the other vacuum hoses for splits? Common for clumsy tech to trap a vacuum hose when fitting a new oil filter. The hose traps between the housing and the filter cover 

• Like 1

i had the whole lot on the bench with a vacuum tester. All good apart from the broken black plastic one from the Turbo solenoid. 

So have you checked the wiring ? 

1 minute ago, iantt said:

So have you checked the wiring ? 

Main earth connections checked, solenoid function checked but Short answer no. but I will first thing tommorow. both solenoids wiring. for error P245A-13, Any other I should look at? 

I have to drive 30 miles to get a diagnostic check and im on my own so bit of a faff trying to wire test but need to.

Thanks

things I have done.

Cleaned filthy Air filter which was supposed to have been changed yearly by ford.

Turbo removed and stripped, shaft was tight but after a clean around the variable veins and the big belleville washers the turbo spins much more freely.

Improved suction while running. No change

Removed DPF and put wynns DPF cleaner through it for 24 hours. No change

Removed EGR and stripped down on bench. nothing obviously broken but the gaskets are not in great shape.  cleaned and refitted. no change

The EGR housing oring was pretty rough but didnt have another so refitted. no change

Refitted new MAF sensor just to see, no change

Cleaned MAP sensor no change.

Diesel filter here waiting to be fitted and waiting on a hand primer pump to change that.

Did the water ? drain from old fuel filter. no change

pedal trick numerous times . no change.

reading this forum post

OK still havent check wiring, but changed the fuel filter and still no change.

Ive had alook round the wiring, most of it looks ok around the plug pins apart from whats underneath sheilding.

But.... i have found this:

mdQqDHSl.jpg

it is the turbo actuator plug and although the grey and purple wires are broken they still had continuity.

Also I have noticed a junction box underneath the passenger side front light which looks like the loom goes through there.

it is not sealed correctly but it looks like bumper off to have a look.

So im wondering if there is going to be a big corroded loom mess in there?

Got a USB OBD cable coming to run Forscan. then up on ramps and play time.

removed and tested intercooler and pipes. no leaks. no change.

Can someone confirm that this car is a 90 BHP? this is what comesback from ETIS

Focus 2011-2015, 1.6L DV6C Econetic Sub-90, Frozen White.  whats the SUB mean?

Putting the VIN Here is not a good idea?

• Like 1

Got the V5 now.

Focus Titanium Nav Econ TDCI estate

DYB

variant NGDA1L 

Euro 5 J 5DEC

1560 cc

eng # DD09573

Max power  77KW

Turbo GTC 1244VZ  824060-5

still not crystal clear but close to 105 BHP?

• Like 1

Hiya Loony,

Try popping the reg into here, it's one of the best free tools I've used to check specifically engine specs.

As far as I'm aware the 1.6/77kw should indeed be as near dam 105bhp

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club