Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Idler Pulley Disintegrated... Timing Holes not Aligning... HELP!!!

Stophen

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I would wait for Ian's input

Cheers, Tom.

i found it really difficult to stop it moving when doing up the bolt even when using allen key to try to hold it still. i was doing it on 2007 fiesta which seems to have a lot less room there and needed a mirror to see if tensioner was correctly positioned. 

9 minutes ago, isetta said:

which seems to have a lot less room

Yeah, there's not a lot of clearance in a Focus either! I found using my phone camera was a good way to see if I was getting close. As you can see, the before shot was spot on, I wish I had torqued it then! 🤦‍♂️

On 4/29/2020 at 5:18 PM, Stophen said:

Hi @isetta, @Albert27 & @TomsFocus,

I just wanted to check a few things with you guys before I start up my car.

I have replaced the timing belt, tensioner pulley & idler pulley. I torqued the tensioner to 30Nm and the idler pulley to 35Nm. These are the settings I found in Haynes, do they sound about right?

I managed to get all the timing pins and the tensioner pulley aligned (with the old belt on). I rotated it 10 tens as stated in Haynes and it looks still in place, do you guys agree? Just a query, when I rotated the engine the tensioner pulley was not torqued up, was this correct (Haynes isn't clear about this)? imageproxy.php?img=&key=0e662d3074f136c9

160795892_TimingPins.thumb.jpg.d9365f9d5334b5bb1595ed34bee3baa6.jpg

Before.thumb.jpeg.33668c9cefc4cd0212c92402178da1b8.jpegAfter.thumb.jpeg.a0fd06a84d7292493b697bd1c5c8b51d.jpeg

When I rotated the engine some of the 10 rotations were easier than others, does this sound right?

Oh, and finally here is a comparison of the old and new pulley, I'm hoping this was just a faulty part...

2008840149_IdlerPulley.thumb.jpeg.f052d1cd51e43c9bf8dc3a96b879c509.jpeg

Cheers, Stophen.

As usual I'm late to the party but at least I beat @iantt 😄 

I think the haynes torques are slightly out but don't worry.  I think 27nm is the official torque for the tensioner? Is that right Ian?  Can't remember the idler but probably similar. Mine is torqued to 30nm (didn't have a lower setting on my wrench 😄 ) and 10,000 miles later it's fine so don't worry.

• Like 1

I'm here eventually, 23nm for tensioner, idler 37nm. Tensioner looks fine. It doesn't have to be exactly spot on. 

• Like 3

Thanks @Albert27 & @iantt, always great to have your opinions!

Would you recommend me adjusting the torque settings or mine ok (i've already put the cove back on)?

New pulley bolt arrived today so I will wait for the better weather next week to complete the job!

Cheers, Stophen.

• Like 2

Leave it , I don't bother torquing those anyway. But I have experience in my side when determining the tightness of nut and bolts generally. 

• Like 1

Cheers @iantt.

I'll finish it off and hopefully this time the pulley won't disintegrate, 🤞I just got a faulty part last time...

• Like 1

Hi @TomsFocus, @isetta, @iantt & @Albert27,

Thanks for your recent help regarding my engine noise, it is now sounding much healthier!

I put together this quick YouTube video incase anyone else has this problem in the future!

Cheers, Stophen.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club