Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towing Eye Issue

Edge of Reason

I’ve got a 2017 Edge Sport. Today I had to use it to pull a fork lift truck that had got stuck in a hole. I was surprised to find that when I removed the cover for the towing eye in the rear bumper, there was no screw hole inside for the towing eye to screw into. Under the cover in the front bumper there was a screw hole so I manage to do what I set out to do, but in reverse.  Can anyone else take a look please and see if they are all like this or has mine got something missing. 

• Like 1

We had a new Zealand guy try to drive a forklift ip a footpath and sank all four wheels on both sides of the concrete foot path; as the grass verge sank on both sides #FaukinHellMate 

Had to get a crane hire out to pick it up off the path 😂 wasn't cheap 

17 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

I’ve got a 2017 Edge Sport. Today I had to use it to pull a fork lift truck that had got stuck in a hole. I was surprised to find that when I removed the cover for the towing eye in the rear bumper, there was no screw hole inside for the towing eye to screw into. Under the cover in the front bumper there was a screw hole so I manage to do what I set out to do, but in reverse.  Can anyone else take a look please and see if they are all like this or has mine got something missing. 

Mine is a 2017 Sport and it has got the threaded mount for the towing eye.

• Thanks 1

How strange. Mine just has a hole. You can see an electric loom and a bit of chassis, but no threaded hole. I’ll take a picture. 

Here’s a photo inside my rear towing eye hole. As you can see, there is no threaded hole inside. How odd. 

Sorry the image has loaded sideways.  Turn it 90 degrees to the right.  

spacer.pngspacer.png

25844061-0DE7-42BC-BE57-8B4FCC023914.jpeg

I wonder if it's not meant to be towed in reverse to avoid damage to the 4WD system?  Might say in the handbook.

Does it have a tow bar ? 

It’s not really a towing eye although that’s what most folk call it. It’s a lashing eye, for tying down the car in transit. 

@eddiek Yes it has the factory fitted removable tow bar. I wonder if this prevents the screw in socket from being used. I’d be interested if anyone else has the factory fitted tow bar but also has the screw in socket for the towing eye / lashing eye. 

Looking at photo that's probably it. The tow bar will be across the threaded hole.  Guessing if your towing anything it would attach to tow ball.  

7 minutes ago, Hamster said:

WTF!!

H

😂 

Mines a Titanium rather than a Sport. But the rear bumper has a recovery threaded hole.9B84229C-67C5-453E-9D43-F1267B85BE7D.thumb.jpeg.d36e07bb46d696df6463f108e9196d8a.jpeg

I've never seen a missing tow hook tread but there is always a first time. It would be quite unusual as its welded and structural.

Have a proper look behind the bumper from underneath. Maybe its on the other side. I'm thinking the rear crash panel member or the bumper cover maybe from a LHD Vehicle so there is a mis-match between the two.

Have a look.

H

If the vehicle is fitted with a tow bar the rear bumper support bar is removed (complete with threaded hole for the towing eye).. to facilitate fitting the tow bar.

• Like 1

Great. Thanks for that. Mystery solved. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club