Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Fitted Brackets To A Bumper?

jonj1611

Had to remove the bumper to sort out some issues, but completely wrecked the screws that secure the bumper on the side of the car, they were so rusted I needed a nut splitter to remove them which in turn destroyed the thread on one side and ripped the who bolt out the other.

Anyone I need to replace the brackets either side, I can get the brackets easy enough but they seemed to be secured with really small rivets which I have never seen before. How on earth do you use these rivets and get them attached?

Here is a link to the rivets so you know what I am talking about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1909769557

What bolts are you referring to. There is only a couple small screws that hold it in. It’s mainly clipped in 

The bolts I am talking about are the ones that are attached to each side bracket, they are screws, and they are now ripped out the brackets due to be so rusted on they wouldn't move. So the brackets are toast

So looking for someone who has experience in the replacing the bracket in the bumper, its not screwed in, its riveted in

Attached picture shows the screws I am talking about, they are no longer in either bracket anymore. But as you can see around the bracket there are various rivets, I have no idea how to get them out or in

s-l1600.jpg

That's not my bumper by the way, its for example only

Totally get where you're coming from.
The bolts are moulded into the brackets and are renowned for rippung out of the plastic when the nuts are corroded.

The oem rivets are thin alloy which are designed to expand easily without splitting the plastic and are meant to be used in a specific tool.

I would recommend you take the bar that the rivet heads are on, chop a standard sized rivet shank length off it and use that length with each rivet head utilising a standard hand operated rivet gun.

Using regular rivets would likely blow out the plastic as they would expand too far before the shank snaps.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

To remove the existing rivets just use an oversized drillbit to mill off the flat side and then push the remaining bits out with a punch.

Didn't realise how pricey these brackets were!

For the brackets should I get genuine Ford or aftermarket be ok?

Hi mate, many thanks, they will do the same job? Half the price of genuine Ford 🙂

They look fine to me, obviously not oem parts but worth a punt imo.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club