Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust Question

jonj1611
聽Share

Currently tackling some surface rust but something has been bothering me and info seems sketchy so hopefully someone will know.

I am wire wheeling the surface rust, when removing the flaking rust etc you should take it back to where good metal begins, so here's where I am getting unstuck. Hydrate 80 will convert the surface rust and leave a protective barrier but what about the good metal that has been exposed? This is underside of the car so exposed to everything. I am putting some epoxy mastic on but its on order and 2 weeks away, the car isn't being driven until the work is done but at the same time I don't want moisture etc to start attacking the good metal.

So after I have applied the rust converter and its fully dry etc should I put some grey/red primer on? And then the epoxy mastic?

• Like 1

that's what I would do stop any new rust馃槉

Cool 馃檪 Yes thought it was the way forward, any difference between red and grey primer does anyone know or is it all the same? I have seen that rust prevention primer. Wasn't sure if that would be any better

Right, had a rethink on this, its a 13 year old Focus, it will probably only last another few years anyway.

Once I have applied the Hydrate 80 does anything need to聽 go on top of that or is it safe to be left as it is. I know its the chassis but wondering the protective coating the Hydrate 80 leaves is enough or if I need something extra and if so what. Not sure I want to go to the hassle of epoxy mastic, its only a few rust patches here and there

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club