Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interior Modifications Skyrocket Insurance

TomGorley

I'm driving a fiesta zetec S 2010 and have got ridiculous quotes for insurance. Unfortunately I was very unlucky to have 2 accidents in the space of three weeks (both write-offs, neither officially my fault) and they've sent the price through the roof. I'm not sure that my car is modified, the dealership assured me that the red interior was standard however when the insurance company came to fit the telematics box they said they would not be able to insure me as the interior was modified. Cant find anywhere that can give me definitive answer on whether this could be bought from the factory as new or it has been modified. Any help at all is massively appreciated. 

This is the only official factory fit red interior that could be on a 2010 Fiesta that I know of, does it look like this?

Ford_Fiesta_006.thumb.jpg.e6aef4f9f99023d3d9ee5c8279a3148f.jpg

If it's not like the above, can you post a picture?

• Like 1

Even if it was a factory fitted optional extra, some insurers do class that as a modification.

Sounds like you've got a fussy one tbh!  Was your insurance cancelled because they couldn't fit the blackbox?  That'll put the price up massively if so.

The guy who fits the black box is usually from a third party and couldn't care less about stuff like that.

The red dashboard and seats as posted above was a optional extra however shouldn't be classed as a modification. It's like saying that having reversing sensors or power-fold mirrors from the factory should be declared.

Wouldn't surprise me if they ask you if you've topped up your washer bottle with Halfords own screenwash instead of the Ford branded stuff.

• Like 2

Some insurers will include any optional extra as a modification, but not all do.

Admiral comes to mind as one that definitely does, I avoid the insurers who declare optional extras as modifications.

I always chose policies who define modifications as those which happened after first registration, so even dealer fit accessories when new are covered.

But if it looks like the picutre I posted, it is factory fit. Just whether your insurer includes options as "modifications" or not.

20 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

This is the only official factory fit red interior that could be on a 2010 Fiesta that I know of, does it look like this?

Ford_Fiesta_006.thumb.jpg.e6aef4f9f99023d3d9ee5c8279a3148f.jpg

If it's not like the above, can you post a picture?

This is what’s it’s like, I’ve tried taking some bits apart and it’s definitely not wrapped and if it’s been painted it’s a very very good job which is making me think it could be like an optional extra from new 

CC0AA6DA-6179-4488-B925-690FD55E1E92.jpeg

509DB226-BC33-4757-B341-6DFE53D9CF0B.jpeg

18A57F7D-FFD2-49E9-A120-4CDB494ABB65.jpeg

DF32C507-C56B-49B4-9A73-9B5DF2042836.jpeg

• Like 1

That's modified, sorry 😞

All the red bits on the centre, the steering wheel and the door cards, none are standard or factory fit.

Also the S badge is technically a modification, it's something a previous owner has added.

When did you buy it? I'd be in contact with the seller and say they've missold you if they said it was factory fit.

Honestly the insurance company are a nightmare, I was with insure the box and they’ve been so unprofessional and honestly clueless. When they told me I’d have to cancel my insurance they said I’d get a good chunk of money back but when the money wasn’t in my bank by the time they said, I rang back up and was told it was an error from the person I spoke to and I’m not actually entitled anything!

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

That's modified, sorry 😞

All the red bits on the centre, the steering wheel and the door cards, none are standard or factory fit.

Also the S badge is technically a modification, it's something a previous owner has added.

When did you buy it? I'd be in contact with the seller and say they've missold you if they said it was factory fit.

Only bought it in February. That’s annoying, I knew beforehand that the insurance company I was with wouldn’t accept modifications so made a point of him making sure it was standard, may have to chase up with the dealership and see if there’s anything they can do, can imagine it’ll be a long shot 

I'd check the rest of the car over for any other modifications. Often if someone starts modifying it's a bit of an itch than needs on-going scratching.

Check things like the air filter, under the bonnet for anything non-standard looking. How about brakes, wheels, exhaust, suspension, etc?

I'd be asking for replacement OEM parts to change it all back to standard, all those red bits should be silver.

Or you could look at having it wrapped/painted in silver, to get it back to standard look.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Often if someone starts modifying it's a bit of an itch than needs on-going scratching.

I don't know what you mean..... 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I'd check the rest of the car over for any other modifications. Often if someone starts modifying it's a bit of an itch than needs on-going scratching.

Check things like the air filter, under the bonnet for anything non-standard looking. How about brakes, wheels, exhaust, suspension, etc?

I'd be asking for replacement OEM parts to change it all back to standard, all those red bits should be silver.

Or you could look at having it wrapped/painted in silver, to get it back to standard look.

Ah right so the guy did a full... guess you could say review of the car and I also had a sun strip on that he said classes as a modification 🙄 All seems a bit daft as it doesn’t change the value of the car massively or performance but suppose it is what it is 

It can make it more of a target, plus there will be statistics that show a different risk factor for drivers that have certain modifications.

Tbh I'd expect them to reduce your premiums...those red bits are a better theft deterrent than a dislok tbh... :tongue:

And a blue S to match the red!? :unsure:

Each to thier own I guess lol. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh I'd expect them to reduce your premiums...those red bits are a better theft deterrent than a dislok tbh... :tongue:

And a blue S to match the red!? :unsure:

Each to thier own I guess lol. :biggrin:

Aha I love the red but yes admit the blue doesn’t quite fit, don’t want to take it off for it to then leave a mark 😂

• Like 1

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance for modifications then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Seems like it's a case of 'any excuse to rip you off'. Insurance Companies will try and wriggle out of paying out and if they do it's never the full amount, they are fast enough to take your money but giving you anything back is a totally different ball game. I always understood that 'modified' referred to 'any extra equipment or parts fitted by the owner that increased or enhanced the vehicles performance that was not factory fitted', cosmetic 'poser' stuff such as trim did not come under that definition. Seems to me that it's well time to change your insurance Company, there are lots of them to consider, just ask the question what is and what's not considered a modification.

6 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Seems like it's a case of 'any excuse to rip you off'. Insurance Companies will try and wriggle out of paying out and if they do it's never the full amount, they are fast enough to take your money but giving you anything back is a totally different ball game. I always understood that 'modified' referred to 'any extra equipment or parts fitted by the owner that increased or enhanced the vehicles performance that was not factory fitted', cosmetic 'poser' stuff such as trim did not come under that definition. Seems to me that it's well time to change your insurance Company, there are lots of them to consider, just ask the question what is and what's not considered a modification.

It's in every insurers policy documents, you don't even need to ask.

I always check their definition of modifications as it varies by insurer. It's often the cheaper insurers, it's like budget airlines, the more they can take off to charge you for after, it lures you in with a cheaper price at the start, gets them to the top of the comparison sites.

I rarely go with the cheapest policy, because of either modification declaration, not making it easy to chose your own repairer, things like that. I have a bit of a list of my own minimum requirements for any motor policy, I often discount several "comprehensive" policies for not covering things well enough for my liking. I'd rather pay a bit more and have the cover I expect is in writing.

The law puts in place minimums but cover varies by policy and it's always important to make sure you are covered for what you expect and don't make any assumptions, there is a reason they ask you to confirm you have read all the policy documents.

Thanks for everyone’s responses! Been a big help! Looking like either selling or trying to get the interior changed back to standard... anyone know where I might start for looking for someone to fit this for me?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TomGorley said:

Thanks for everyone’s responses! Been a big help! Looking like either selling or trying to get the interior changed back to standard... anyone know where I might start for looking for someone to fit this for me?

eBay is usually the best.

Personally I'd change insurer, if they're being fussy about this then they're bound to be fussy about something else. I've heard countless horror stories from people who've said their insurance has been cancelled because their box tracked them at 2mph over the limit.

To me it seems like the "best" black box insurers are those that also offer policies without a box (such as Admiral, Hastings, Direct Line and Co-Op). The ones that only do black box policies (such as Ingenie,Marmalade, Carrot & Insure the Box) seem to have a much worse reputation and are a lot stricter (at least that seems to be what I've seen).

That was just little modification. I can't even called it as modification since it's not that major revamp. What does your policy exactly says about modifications? 

• 5 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 2:09 PM, Luke4efc said:

The guy who fits the black box is usually from a third party and couldn't care less about stuff like that.

The red dashboard and seats as posted above was a optional extra however shouldn't be classed as a modification. It's like saying that having reversing sensors or power-fold mirrors from the factory should be declared.

Wouldn't surprise me if they ask you if you've topped up your washer bottle with Halfords own screenwash instead of the Ford branded stuff.

they said they would not be able to insure me as the interior was modified. Cant find anywhere that can give me definitive answer on whether this could be bought from the factory as new or it has been modified. Any help at all is massively appreciated. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lillianna3 said:

they said they would not be able to insure me as the interior was modified. Cant find anywhere that can give me definitive answer on whether this could be bought from the factory as new or it has been modified. Any help at all is massively appreciated. 

I suggest you start your own topic and upload pictures of your dashboard and we can tell you if it's been modified or optional extra.

On 4/29/2020 at 2:09 PM, Luke4efc said:

Goes higher again if you tell them the washer tank is filled with tears which were produced on the day Paul walker died. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Reality check:

I think that the problem here is that your insurance record, and a high performance car have convinced the insurance industry that they don't want your business. Two write offs in a short space of time means that you are a bad risk and if you kill somebody, that gets expensive. Their ability to see into the future is no better than Mystic Meg's but this is their business and that is how they think of you. You have now had a policy cancelled as well so black box or not, You are not going to insure that car. Go and find something  with a very small engine and a very low insurance group and try again. Might sound harsh but this is real life and the situation might not seem fair but you are far better rolling over than trying to fight a battle you will not be allowed to win.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club