Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Play In Steering

harvyeg77

When I had my Ranger (07 2.5 TDCi Thunder) I disliked the amount of play in the steering wheel, ie you could rock the wheel back and forth an inch before anything happens at the wheels. Does anybody know if the xteerign box can be tightened up or the slack removed somehow?

• 7 months later...

My 2009 Wildtrak also had excessive steering play and following a visit to my dealer and much complaining they have replaced the steering box under warranty. The dealer wanted to adjust the box to try and reduce the play but I refused to accept this because if you remove the slack when the road wheels are straight the box will tighten up when turned to a full lock.

I have only owned my Ranger for the past two months and have a number of other problems which I am trying to resolve directly with Ford. Starting to think I should have bought a Navarra.

Regards

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

This time last year i took my ranger to ford for a service and complained about the free play in the steering and i was told it was within fords tolerence so they couldn't do anything about it, this year it went back to ford for a service hoping they could sort the steering as it has got much worse over the past year. They told me they cannot fault the steering. Not sure what to do now as the play is getting worse but ford cant find a problem. My truck is a 2007 ranger thunder. Any thoughts please???

Hi there,

This time last year i took my ranger to ford for a service and complained about the free play in the steering and i was told it was within fords tolerence so they couldn't do anything about it, this year it went back to ford for a service hoping they could sort the steering as it has got much worse over the past year. They told me they cannot fault the steering. Not sure what to do now as the play is getting worse but ford cant find a problem. My truck is a 2007 ranger thunder. Any thoughts please???

Ford appear to have a problem with premature wear in the steering box fitted to these vehicles (mine was badly worn after 18K miles) and you only have three options:

1. If it's less than 3 years old go back to your dealer and argue your case. (consider obtaining an independent engineers report, AA, RAC etc)

2. If it's over 3 years old replace the steering box with a new or recon item at your own expense. (avoid second hand as they are likely to be worn)

3. Sell the vehicle.

• 1 month later...

I adjusted my steering box yesterday. Seems to have removed the play for now. Steering doesn't tighten up on full lock either. Its a right faff to get at the adjuster though. I did it from the top, that meant battery out and the batt tray. I then had to remove the batt tray support bolted to the chassis as its right above the box, to give some spanner space. Allow your self an hour and half if you gonna do it. The main locking nut is 17mm and sturdy blade screwdriver to take up slack.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club