Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 06Plate Tdci 130 Black Smoke

P4RKY

hi guys

im looking for advice my 06 plate tdci 130 euro 4... when giving the beans im fillin the motor way with black smoke car has done 61k im only getting around 30mpg too.. also ive noticed recently the engine sounds very clattery esp when i pulling of under low revs .... any suggestions im off for a week and not afraid to get my hands dirty cheers....... parky

the black smoke is probably due to the intercooler pipe that goes into the exhaust gas recycler(egr) is split! this allows warm air from the engine bay into the turbo which does not burn the diesel as efficiently as the cold air the pipe should deliver which in turn causes unburnt diesel to come out of the exhaust essentially as black smoke. try this link to replace or fix the pipe with a coolant hose repair tape that costs 2.99 from Halfords. it consists of two tapes. otherwise a replacement hose is about 40 from the dealers.

good luck!

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/EGR_Valve_and_Inlet_Manifold_Clearout_TDCi

i had the very same low revs rattle on my 06 plate, it got slightly better when warm. ford said no problem they all sound like that,took it to a delphy agent who diagnoised knackered injectors due to no low load fuel delivery,4 injectors later and the car is running better than it ever has.at the moment trying to get some kind of payment from ford as the injectors had only done 38000 miles but getting no joy.i am not saying this is your problem just a possability, try the egr valve clean and as stated check the intercooler pipe first and see if there is any inprovement.get plenty of newspaper and rags for the clean its a messy job but worth it.

pulled the EGR and inlet of today was quite caked... all clean and bck on only prob i sheered the bolt that connects the EGR to the inlet my m8s got a bolt remover so trip to fords for replacement bolt whoops!!!! what pipe do i need to check is it the black one that connect to the bottom of the egr.. and dissapears into the bowels of the engine wand what i looking for i had a feel couldn find any tears etc?????

yes its the big pipe that connects to the bottom of the egr valve, splits are very hard to find if you can remove the pipe for a better inspection.

will have a look tomorrow got it all sorted and took it for a spin i noticed a massive improvement it is a bit grumpy as stated but still black smoke under serious right foot not as bad but still noticeable so the pipe next lol if nothing wron with pipe whats the next issue to check lol thanks for all ur help by the way

if the pipe is ok it could just be a build up of carbon in the exhaust. you could try an 'italian' tune up and give it some boot to clear the gunk out of the system also try a shot of injector cleaner.

hi guys

thanks for all your assistance wiv this seem to have it running really well no smoke really good pull through the gears... intercooler pipe looks ok..... only thing is i have a woosh when the turbo kicks in(which has always been there).. i did try somthing i unpluged the egr valve no warning lights came up but the car performs supurb!!! and no smoke any feedback on this would be greatful

hi guys

thanks for all your assistance wiv this seem to have it running really well no smoke really good pull through the gears... intercooler pipe looks ok..... only thing is i have a woosh when the turbo kicks in(which has always been there).. i did try somthing i unpluged the egr valve no warning lights came up but the car performs supurb!!! and no smoke any feedback on this would be greatful

If the EGR is caked then so will the inlet manifold.Easy to remove and clean

you can get blanking plates for EGR but if yours has an electrical connection then a small hole will need to be drilled in the plate

I'm surprised there are no warning lights if you have disconnected the EGR

Using a cleaner like Millers diesel sport 4 will help it costs around £12 a bottle but treats nearly 9 Mondeo sized tanks full to the brim so economical in use

im supprised to.... still no light on.. and still performing really well not sure how or why lol will it cause any damage to engine by having it unplugged?

it takes around 100 miles before the light comes on, the woosh sound is a common sign of a split egr to intercooler pipe,did you remove the pipe to check fully?

lights on now lol but cars still driving well i didnt take off the inter pipe as couldnt get to it im gonna service the car this week so will pull the plastic panel off bottom engine and pull that off to when im doin the oil

• 3 weeks later...

ive checked the pipes and def cant see any splits but i noticed inside the pipes was wet with oil!!not sure as the whoosh is still there also n e more suggestions or shall i give in and pay ford lol