Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 4 Sat Nav voice control comically bad

excession_ocp

Hi,

I've started using the voice control on my Mk 4 focus and it works well for making phone calls or changing audio sources.  However, when asking to navigate me somewhere it is atrocious, and I mean comically bad.  I'll ask, for example "navigate me to Carlise" and it will return suggestions that bear absolutely no relation to the word I have spoken, at one point it suggested my nearest Greggs.  I'm going to make a video tomorrow to show you what I mean but what I have noticed is that it seems to be trying to match my requests to Points of Interest, rather than geographical destinations.  Does anyone know if I've somehow set it to query POIs only rather than destinations?  Or is it just total bobins?  I had a 2011 plate Mondeo back in the day that had better voice recognition than this, so I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong.

• Like 1

I find Siri understands me better.  If I’m using Ford Navigation I’ll set destination before leaving.  My Glaswegian accent doesn’t help either. 

• Like 2

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

😂 😂 😂 

I’ve got family in USA I’ll be sending that. Thanks 

even talking to Americans can be tricky , soon learn to avoid certain words or things like Shakira songs etc 

I have Alexa, Siri and now ford sync ..I rate them in that order. The ford ones clearly been created by Americans. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, excession_ocp said:

I've somehow set it to query POIs only rather than destinations? 

I’ve had a look at Nav settings. Can’t see anything obvious re POIs. But , your not alone with Ford Navigation coming up with weird guesses at whatever destination you are asking for. I plug my phone in for Apple maps if I’m needing directions. I find Apple CarPlay is best for calls and text messages too. Got Apple music too so it’s all compatible. Only advantage ford nav has is the little turn icons on the dash and the chime for turn now. It’s not completely useless..

I've sorted it!

The problem was that I was expecting the system to work like any other sat nav.  However, in order to set a destination by voice, one has to press the button as usual and then say "Find An Address" at which point the system then asks you to say a street address.  It then finds this (and to be fair it found it exactly) and asks you to press the button again and say "set as destination", at which point it then calculates the route.

So it works, after a fashion.  I'm putting it down as another FOMOCOism...

On 5/4/2020 at 7:33 PM, excession_ocp said:

I've sorted it!

The problem was that I was expecting the system to work like any other sat nav.  However, in order to set a destination by voice, one has to press the button as usual and then say "Find An Address" at which point the system then asks you to say a street address.  It then finds this (and to be fair it found it exactly) and asks you to press the button again and say "set as destination", at which point it then calculates the route.

So it works, after a fashion.  I'm putting it down as another FOMOCOism...

You learn something new every day! I was saying “set destination then the address. I’ll need to try the “find an address” command. 👍 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club