Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre sensor not detected

connteMK3

Recently had tires swapped  (winter to summer) on the market rims with tire pressure sensors on my Ford Focus 1.5 TDCi Titanium Econetic 2017. After initially receiving the message about tire pressure issue, had it removed with Tire monitor "Store tire pressure" option. 

After about 5-10 km received the message "Tyre sensors not detected" after which I once again had resolved it with with "Store tire pressure". 

But again, every 5 to 10 km while driving the same message keeps coming up on screen (every time its possible to get rid of it with Store tire pressure).

One of the sensors has been damaged when the tyres were swapped. 

Go to KwikFit (Most branches still open) they can replace tire sensors much cheaper than Ford. (Unless you want to go back to the original place you got tires done and complain!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have a 15 plate focus, an error on the dash ' tyre sensors not detected' has come up. 

The car has been recently service and light reset, came back on after about 10 mile drive. My Valves are all ok. Tyres are good pressure.

I have reset but it keep coming on. It flashes 4/5 times then stays solid.

Someone help? What could this be?

Thanks,

The batteries in the TPMS only last about 7 years before the sensor has to be replaced. One of the sensors is now running out of battery power, the others will probably all start to die soon.

New sensor is about £33 plus of course fitting.

• Like 3

It’s one of those modern car additional expenses .  I like this video. 

I’m not recommending anyone does it,  but it’s a solution that does not involve removing tyres and hence many people could do this without paying any labour costs to anyone else.   I have no idea where in the car the transmitter/ receiver is that communicates with the tyre sensors. Can anyone tell us? 

In the UK and Europe it is a legal requirement for cars built 2014 onwards to have a working TPMS system. It is part of the annual MOT test and disabling the system will result in an MOT failure. It is also possible that it could void your insurance, just like it would if you took the seat belts out of your car.

Well yes, I did say I don’t recommend doing it. It wouldn’t fail the mot (assuming mot tester didn’t find the sensor was in some pressurised plastic pipe and not in the tyre).   I accept that some will say it would be irresponsible to do that as low tyre pressure would not cause a warning on the dashboard.  (But if I drive my wife’s Mazda 2 which doeSnt have tpms,  when my fiesta 2015 with tpms is available to me to use, is that equally irresponsible?   Or what about if I drove an old car without abs when I have one available with abs to drive.  We could all argue about that ).   But where is the sensor receiver?    My fiesta has a spare wheel with sensor in.  Is my car reading all five?   Will I get a warning if spare loses pressure or an error if I leave the spare out of the boot?   I haven’t tried it. 

Here's an interesting video on sensor battery replacement if you want to do it on the cheap. Somewhat risky and not easy, but doable it seems.

Interesting video, method of unseating the tyre beading looks interesting.  Getting the sensor out won’t be quite as easy if you have rubber valve stems.  A word of caution, I have tried soldering to coin batteries before and there is a danger of overheating them with soldering iron so liquid oozes out of battery around the edge. He says you need batteries with tabs on as can’t solder to the battery casing itself,  I have managed to solder to coin battery casings if I used a file on them first.   But as I say, danger of overheating battery with soldering iron.  I have not done it on tyre sensor batteries, just on cmos batteries in laptops. Batteries with tabs makes it much easier, but they are harder to source

To be honest I probably would try this.  What have you got to lose?  Well, he looked like he was about to lose a finger with that Stanley knife. Be careful.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club