Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuning chips

Stoney871

With the demise of Superchips, it's got me thinking of the alternatives available.

What are the views on Cobb, DreamScience, RaceChip etc?

Trying to decide on which way to go.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I had good results from Cobb when I had the Mazda. But I did alter the supplied map myself  to suit my car and set up. Cobb is good if you keep changing parts and need to remap again. So maybe not in your case. The base maps were ok . 

• Like 1

Didn't know superchips had gone, shame good company to deal with.

• Like 1

Lots of the Fiesta Guys rave about Peron, 

and I’ve heard fairly good things about DreamScience and Pumaspeed etc...

• Like 1

I'm getting swayed towards RaceChips tbh, anyone in particular had any experience with them?

Isn't the Racechips a fancy/expensive tuning box where they trick the ECU? 

Just to say I have no experience of any form of chipping, although I was tempted to go with the Bluefin as my friend has it on his Mondeo TXS. I like the ability to remove the map.

You won't be able to get your hands on a Bluefin unit now that superchips is closed. Pity, because they are really good and convenient to use. I've had 2 of them, 1st one was on a mk1 focus 2.0 petrol, 2nd was on a mk3.5 1.5 tdci 120ps. Good results from both, obviously gives more having a turbo.

Ive also had 2 racechips and a dtuk. 1st racechip was a racechip one which I had fitted to my Astra J 2.0 tdci 165ps. Worked OK for 20k and then I started having dpf pressure sensor issues. I then bought a dtuk unit (3rd gen) in the hope that it was just the Racechip One giving me grief, got dpf sensors issues within 50 miles.

I have a racechip S (new version of the racechip one) on my ateca 1.6, it works well enough but I have removed it for the duration of the lockdown, don't want to chance potential dpf issues with only local travel back and forth to the shops.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You not tempted by the Mountune upgrade then Clive?

• Like 2

Who does the maps for your work cars?  I'm assuming they get mapped as they're mostly 1.6 TDCi Mk3s around here...not going to outrun many drug dealers in WRX's if they're standard! :laugh: 

• Like 1

You not tempted by the Mountune upgrade then Clive?
Looking at that option right now [emoji7]

Who does the maps for your work cars?  I'm assuming they get mapped as they're mostly 1.6 TDCi Mk3s around here...not going to outrun many drug dealers in WRX's if they're standard! [emoji23] 

Tbh, most of the cars are running as standard.
My old mk3 ST estate was tuned up as are armed response & Traffic units vehicles.
I believe they are done at local tuning companies.

Just now, Stoney871 said:

Tbh, most of the cars are running as standard.
My old mk3 ST estate was tuned up as are armed response & Traffic units vehicles.
I believe they are done at local tuning companies.

Might be worth asking if you could get a bit of discount there then...  They must be reliable and trustworthy, and maps are always better than chips!

Job done [emoji6]

8f025f00f701775baac49951c3bd4c13.jpg

f7748f1c852e6965b2621293aa657dab.jpg

• Like 3

Might be worth asking if you could get a bit of discount there then...  They must be reliable and trustworthy, and maps are always better than chips!
If it's the local tuners I know of, they are a bit arsey.
Some people have had rows with them and had cases of cars not being released back to them.
Anyway Mountune has ticked my boxes, thanks to Alex for giving me the steer.
I was thinking that Mountune would have meant more extensive modifications to get decent results but looking at their graphs and reviews about the M330 tune I'm impressed and more than happy to put my money to good use.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

If it's the local tuners I know of, they are a bit arsey.
Some people have had rows with them and had cases of cars not being released back to them.
Anyway Mountune has ticked my boxes, thanks to Alex for giving me the steer.
I was thinking that Mountune would have meant more extensive modifications to get decent results but looking at their graphs and reviews about the M330 tune I'm impressed and more than happy to put my money to good use.

Good choice, can't really go wrong with Mountune tbf!  

Also credit for the super quick decision! :biggrin:

Is the mapping all done wirelessly via an app and OBD dongle looking at the pic?

• Like 1

The dongle pairs to a phone via the SMARTflash app and basically does what the Bluefin handset used to do but with the added benefit that it transmits the required data directly to Mountune rather than having to plug into a PC first.
Should take minutes for the rom data to be sent then just flash'n'go.
Air filter installation is a doddle anyway.
Not like I was spending anything anyway with the current situation.
It was money marked as spends for a holiday I was due to go on at the end of the month but obviously due to cancellation the money was sitting idle [emoji6].
I'll just tell wifey it's simply a new air filter and a code reader and the holiday spends have gone back to my savings account, she'll go back to watching her facebook videos as soon as I mention cars anyway [emoji39].

I do like nice curves[emoji3059] -

c73b7f874374f9347b64c10f2ecb1919.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arriving tomorrow [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

7321b403dd742c5805e32984355fd9ed.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, Stoney871 said:

It does looks fantastic for a 'Plug & Play' upgrade (with a simple Air Filter), strangely a Panel Filter and not Round like on the RS engine.
But I think it's all down to the engine already running stock 350bhp in the RS, the Mk3 ST had to have bigger everything to get anywhere.
They would have had to use much smaller intake/cooling to cripple the Mk4 ST to a point it needed bigger hardware to bump the power,
That would seem like a lot of costly backwards engineering, they obviously dialled it down because it's an ST and only front wheel drive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RAIDER32 said:

It does looks fantastic for a 'Plug & Play' upgrade (with a simple Air Filter), strangely a Panel Filter and not Round like on the RS engine.
But I think it's all down to the engine already running stock 350bhp in the RS, the Mk3 ST had to have bigger everything to get anywhere.
They would have had to use much smaller intake/cooling to cripple the Mk4 ST to a point it needed bigger hardware to bump the power,
That would seem like a lot of costly backwards engineering, they obviously dialled it down because it's an ST and only front wheel drive.

The ST is using the mustang version of the engine. Not the RS version. The RS has a different head gasket and probably a few other uprated components. 

• Like 2

Update-

After taking delivery of my M330 OBD kit the first stage was fitting the upgraded filter then second stage was gaining reference data from my car to verify map compatability which was duly emailed to Mountune.

It took 48 hours for the three rom files (race tune, stock tune & immobiliser mode) to come back which is understandable in the current situation.

Finally got some time tonight to bang on the race map and after the usual warning lights and restarts all was loaded.

Bit worrying was two persistent messages that stayed up-

86137e6b9e33a05a9e1a7968a69206be.jpg&key=15d920d3f716641490edd48063b7ae6350a5d798e7bd6c0c3250e5a897000260

191162ab4d6827ba80ef64f8b8b69033.jpg&key=0d906f3a3e539f7efced5d82ca18eb900753678665d68ff93459aca5daa3b860

I left the car locked for an hour to see if they would self reset but no joy, a bit of a brown trouser moment I must admit.

I decided to return to stock and see what happened but they still came back again so more brown trousers.

In the end I thought sod it and put the race map back on and decided to go for a bit of a bimble [emoji6].

Messsges persisted but strangely enough just as I got home after a 30 mile test drive they self cleared and all was well, the specific modules must be a bit sensitive and just needed time to recalibrate.

Over all impression of the M330 tune is as a wise man once said

f35724174287784d93400eb44105c566.jpg&key=679a008382963d3047928ec5e70dca088d1a92b5b29b5af40974178115fa338f

The car feels totally different and so alive, if you have a mk4 ST and a few spare quid sitting idle you can't go wrong.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff 👍

I notice that the Superchips website has removed its message about going in to administration. But they are closed and not doing any online sales.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 10:27 PM, Stoney871 said:

Update-

After taking delivery of my M330 OBD kit the first stage was fitting the upgraded filter then second stage was gaining reference data from my car to verify map compatability which was duly emailed to Mountune.

It took 48 hours for the three rom files (race tune, stock tune & immobiliser mode) to come back which is understandable in the current situation.

Finally got some time tonight to bang on the race map and after the usual warning lights and restarts all was loaded.

Bit worrying was two persistent messages that stayed up-

86137e6b9e33a05a9e1a7968a69206be.jpg&key=15d920d3f716641490edd48063b7ae6350a5d798e7bd6c0c3250e5a897000260

191162ab4d6827ba80ef64f8b8b69033.jpg&key=0d906f3a3e539f7efced5d82ca18eb900753678665d68ff93459aca5daa3b860

I left the car locked for an hour to see if they would self reset but no joy, a bit of a brown trouser moment I must admit.

I decided to return to stock and see what happened but they still came back again so more brown trousers.

In the end I thought sod it and put the race map back on and decided to go for a bit of a bimble [emoji6].

Messsges persisted but strangely enough just as I got home after a 30 mile test drive they self cleared and all was well, the specific modules must be a bit sensitive and just needed time to recalibrate.

Over all impression of the M330 tune is as a wise man once said

f35724174287784d93400eb44105c566.jpg&key=679a008382963d3047928ec5e70dca088d1a92b5b29b5af40974178115fa338f

The car feels totally different and so alive, if you have a mk4 ST and a few spare quid sitting idle you can't go wrong.

Thread revival 😅

Placed my order today. Can’t wait! 

Good choice.

Once installed, try the old slippery road setting and see what you think  😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Good choice.

Once installed, try the old slippery road setting and see what you think  😉

They’ve made that track mode minus the pops and bangs haven’t they. Should be fun 😁

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club