Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine oil and temperature?

n_hudson

I couldn’t get my car serviced so changed oil myself. Normally use Castrol 5-30 but had a new Mobil 1 0-40 High mileage sat in the garage, which meets the same requirements as ford states for the 1.6 tdci engine.

coincidence or not, now the dash temperature gauge struggles to get to 90 and spends most of its time sat at 75.

Could the engine oil grade be causing this temperature reading? Or am I looking at the thermostat?

does the dash gauge give oil or coolant temp? Could this ruin dpf regens?

Any suggestions for self diagnosis? I have a forscan, but haven’t ever used it - don’t know how yet lol

10-40 is too thick for Fords, are you sure it meets the right spec? :unsure: 

The dash shows coolant temp.  But it's not a live reading, it's just designed to hang around the centre point unless there's a problem.  If you want a live reading you can get that through the OBD port, using Forscan or pretty much any live-datastream code reader.

Also worth checking if the oil you have is low SAPS as you have a DPF model.  Ford don't specify low SAPS, but PSA do, it basically creates less ash in the DPF.

Are you doing the same drives as normal during lockdown?  

• Like 1

0-40 will be to thick, and may eventually damage engine and turbo etc.  Best thing to do was to stay within the 30 grade oils, and if you wonted to you could of used 0w-30.  stay with the group of oil is recommended by the manufacturer, it's that way for a reason.

Ooh and if you have the DV6 1.6 version of that engine and value your turbo do yourself a favour, on the oil feed to turn from sump there's a filter that blocks and Leeds to oil starvation of the turbo, remove it.  The DV6 1.6 is well know for blown turbos caused by oil starvation.  👍👍

Yeah I checked that link, the oil doesn't meet any of the Ford spec codes.  You might get away with that in really hot Africa country's but Europe where we get cooler temperatures I would switch that for 5w-30/0w-30  as soon as. But it's your engine if your willing to risk it for the year just change back next oil change.

ford oil for the mk2 is low spec designed for emissions not engine longevity...     penny sound, pound foolish or whatever it is

I attempted to look this up the other day.... what ford say is good isn't allowed near a BMW, Merc or a Porsche coz it will eventually just go bang if you exercise it properly....

these days there a bit around the viscosity that's is more important than ever but C3 is a better oil for the engine

So changed the oil to the Castrol 5/30 professional for fords. Wow. What a difference in... everything and noticeable from the start.

i still have the coolant temperature issue, but I’m going to try the cheapest and easiest option and change the sensor first, before the whole thermostat unit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club