Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Accident and potential write off

Captain slow

I was unfortunately involved in accident that resulted in my car being towed away by copart my insurance at first glance presumed it was written off but their engineer says other wise and have now been told it is repairable and will be sent to their recommended repair shop for thorough inspection I'm just after some advice  I have sent the picture to other repair shops who have all told me it's a write off what do you guys think?

IMG-20200411-WA0010.jpg

Screenshot_20200508-042235_MX Player.jpg

IMG-20200411-WA0005.jpg

It doesn't look like a write off from that picture.  Just bumper, wing and radiator from a cursory glance...door looks repairable.  If it was a poverty spec 1.6 Zetec then it'd probably be uneconomical to repair, but an ST-3 holds a lot more value.

It's impossible to say exactly how much it needs over the internet though, would need to have a look, but it does appear that there's no steering or suspension damage with both wheels pointing the same way for example.

It's hard to tell from pictures but nothing looks out of line, just panel damage and as Tom says if it was entry level then mayb a write of but your is a higher spec so higher value, The repairs will have had a good look at all the mounting points so they should know.

I was more concerned about the oil streak on floor after the accident I should of mentioned that the ecu unit was smashed off as they are fitted behind the bumper my insurance have informed me that it will take longer than usual due to covid 19 if it is repairable 

9 hours ago, Captain slow said:

I was more concerned about the oil streak on floor after the accident I should of mentioned that the ecu unit was smashed off as they are fitted behind the bumper my insurance have informed me that it will take longer than usual due to covid 19 if it is repairable 

Is that oil?  I thought it was coolant from the bust radiator or screenwash from the washer bottle/headlight washers?  Can't really advise any further without knowing where the oil came from...might just be gearbox oil if the driveshaft pulled out slightly.  I assume it was only your car involved, so no chance of that streak coming from another car?

The ECU will probably be fine, they're surprisingly robust!  If not it's an easy part to swap anyway.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:31 AM, TomsFocus said:

Is that oil?  I thought it was coolant from the bust radiator or screenwash from the washer bottle/headlight washers?  Can't really advise any further without knowing where the oil came from...might just be gearbox oil if the driveshaft pulled out slightly.  I assume it was only your car involved, so no chance of that streak coming from another car?

The ECU will probably be fine, they're surprisingly robust!  If not it's an easy part to swap anyway.

It was Just my car involved, I assumed I knocked the oil sump as it was foot wide rectangle shape streak and the computer sensor said oil low when we tried to move the car to a safer position that and me and my dad nearly slipped over in it 

9 hours ago, Captain slow said:

It was Just my car involved, I assumed I knocked the oil sump as it was foot wide rectangle shape streak and the computer sensor said oil low when we tried to move the car to a safer position that and me and my dad nearly slipped over in it 

Hmm, ok, that's weird!  I can't see you knocking the sump, but maybe the front end pushed in far enough to damage the oil filter.  Would really have to know for sure where the oil came from to say any more though.  

What's the current situation with the car now?  Is it at the repair centre or still waiting for insurance to decide what to do?

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, ok, that's weird!  I can't see you knocking the sump, but maybe the front end pushed in far enough to damage the oil filter.  Would really have to know for sure where the oil came from to say any more though.  

What's the current situation with the car now?  Is it at the repair centre or still waiting for insurance to decide what to do?

It has finally arrived at the repair centre of insurers choice and I'm just waiting on their assessment but I have been told they are clearing their backlogs before they asses my vehicle as the majority of their staff have unfortunately been furloughed 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 8:43 AM, TomsFocus said:

Finally got a call from the repair centre mostly panel damage and the leak was oil apparently i punctured the oil filter and the part that houses the ecu are made to order so its just a waiting game now

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally car has been restored 

20200708_185502.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/8/2020 at 6:56 PM, Captain slow said:

Finally car has been restored 

20200708_185502.jpg

Feels like ages since you first posted this but it's only been 2 months lol!

Bet you're glad to finally have it back anyway! :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 2:58 PM, TomsFocus said:

Feels like ages since you first posted this but it's only been 2 months lol!

Bet you're glad to finally have it back anyway! :biggrin:

Felt like an eternity, i felt very giddy and excitied driving it again my nerves where all over the place I dare say it drives even better than before 

• Like 2