Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus

Jordandavis

If I take my Ford Focus 1.8 09 plate that’s not running into Ford do you think they could fix the problem or at least find the fault we think it’s the cluster drove fine for 20 mins after we brought it the guy did say it needed a new battery so when it broke down we thought it was flat brought a new one still won’t start up I’ve looked over it can’t seem to find nothing got my mate who’s a mechanic can’t find nothing wrong with it not to start 

47 minutes ago, Jordandavis said:

If I take my Ford Focus 1.8 09 plate that’s not running into Ford do you think they could fix the problem or at least find the fault we think it’s the cluster drove fine for 20 mins after we brought it the guy did say it needed a new battery so when it broke down we thought it was flat brought a new one still won’t start up I’ve looked over it can’t seem to find nothing got my mate who’s a mechanic can’t find nothing wrong with it not to start 

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the car problems,

If you have AA road side assistance with home start; that may be a cheaper option to solve the issue rather than a ford dealer, if you dont have home rescue cover then perhaps evaluate the cost of such, because you would qualify for a certain amount of call outs per year as part of your annual subscription.

They will diagnose the issue while the vehicle remains where it is, would be cheaper. If you sign up say today then it takes a week before you can call them to assist but just ensure you tell them it was driving fine last week and now it won't, they would then diagnose the issue and offer to bring it to a garage of your choice within a certain radius as part of your standard cover. 

Aside from that option each ford dealership has a list of fees listed somewhere, they will charge a diagnostic fee for connecting the car to there computer, also a fee to get the car from wherever it currently is to there garage; 

They may then charge per day that the vehicle is being stored; in the event they are not required to fix the issue, 

Worth phoning to find these conditions first; most garages can do the same level of diagnostic as ford themselves, 

• Thanks 1

Cluster issues don't often affect the 2009 models, but there is the odd one.

If it is the cluster, Ford is the last place you want to take it.  Much better to send it somewhere like BBA reman who can fix it via postal service for a fraction of Fords cost.

Can you give any more info on the non-start?  Does the immobiliser light flash?  Does it make any attempt to turn over?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your help will look into that it’s makes and attempt to turn over the immobiliser light does flash also when trying to start up its now saying engine malfunction we’ve checked the fuse changed them over two checked the earths my mechanic friend check the starting motor he said that looks fine I’ve even checked the cluster took it out it’s one big unit all the cables look fine checked the passenger fuse box two that’s all good did the fault code check but people are saying that they won’t help Not sure what else I could do that 

If the immobiliser light flashes when trying to start it sounds like that's the problem.  Have you got a spare key to try?

Also, probably a daft question but have you checked it's got plenty of fuel?  I wouldn't necessarily trust the gauge on a used car!

The problem with the cluster is the soldering on the back of the PCB, you won't be able to check that without taking it apart.

Fault codes would be ideal but they need to be from Ford specific diagnostics like Forscan.  Assuming you've got a laptop or smartphone you'd just need a suitable cable or dongle for about £15 to use it.  The codes that come up on the clocks dash test aren't often useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah we have got a spare key that doesn’t work either and we put a full tank in when we got it then went to drive it when we got home then bam nothing, don’t know if this helps but went we try start it it makes a clicking sound my father in law said that a good sign and if you look on YouTube this problem happens quite a lot but no one fix is the same we’ve been going throuugh them nothing as of yet, I don’t know too much about cars myself but how much would that cost to fix/ could I do it myself? 

Ah ok, so the relay clicks but the starter motor doesn't turn the engine over at all?

That usually is caused by a low battery or a dead starter motor.

Was the starter tested out of the car or just checked visually?

• Like 2

That’s right and only been checked visually my friend who’s good with cars only had time to visually check it but he said he’s going to do a proper look at it but he doesn’t think it’s that he’s plans on doing it Monday or Tuesday for me it’s strange how it drove fine to get petrol then when to do another test drive then nothing I didn’t think a starting motor could go that quick as it’s started up fine when we had then all of a sudden nothing 

I reckon the previous owner sold it because of an intermittent starting issue...  Hence saying 'it might need a battery'... :rolleyes:

Starter motors can be intermittent as part of the windings wear out.  You can try giving it a tap with a hammer to see if it'll nudge into a better position.

• Thanks 1

Okay thank you for that I’ll give that a try now I’ll post an update keep you informed when it’s does starting working again and what it was 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club