Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2013 Mk2.5 - Key Fob Battery message AFTER battery replacement

Shoxt3r

Hi there,

I've got a Ford Focus Mk2.5 (2013) which had the key battery replacement message pop up on the dash a few weeks ago.
I replaced both key fob batteries to be on the safe side, locked and unlocked the car with both keys but the message is still appearing?

Any thoughts on why this is happening? What's an easy fix please?
They weren't exactly the most expensive CR2032 batteries (good ol' Morrisons) but would have thought they'd last longer than a couple of locks/unlocks!

Thanks in advance.

Seems to be common that the cheap branded batteries are not very good, certainly on the Talkford forum we always suggest decent branded batteries. Had my car 6.5  years and changed the batteries twice with Duracells.

If you have a volt meter they should be 3.0v or more. If you get 2.8v then being lithium they are  going flat.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kevin#95 said:

If you have a volt meter they should be 3.0v or more. If you get 2.8v then being lithium they are  going flat.

Indeed, brand new out of the box, a decent replacement will push 3.2v

As an aside, would a 2013 Focus not be a Mk3?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bit late to reply! So I've been running with the new batteries for about a week now and it seems the message has gone away by itself - presumably it took a few trips for the car to realise a new battery had been installed?

Also, in reply to you Stoney I always thought my Focus was seen as Mk2.5 as it pre-dates the facelift but correct me if I'm wrong in that... :)

Does your focus look like this? HERE that's a MK3.

As far as I know the MK3 came out in 2011, so if you have a MK2.5 then it must have been registered really late. MK2.5 HERE

C'mon OP, we're all dying to know which car you have! :thumbup:

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump - been looking on amazon for this. Is £4 the sort of price for a pack of 4 of these 2032 coin batteries? Or should I be looking for £15 or so , don't want to buy some dodgy Indian crap

1 hour ago, mburdett555 said:

Sorry to bump - been looking on Amazon for this. Is £4 the sort of price for a pack of 4 of these 2032 coin batteries? Or should I be looking for £15 or so , don't want to buy some dodgy Indian crap

Bought my Panasonic ones for £1.15 a pair on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293648448433

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Bought my Panasonic ones for £1.15 a pair on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293648448433

Ta, read about problems with cheap batteries causing additional problems or still flagging the warning message , but guess I'll try the Duracell ones I ordered 

23 minutes ago, mburdett555 said:

but guess I'll try the Duracell ones I ordered 

Good luck, you might need it 🙁

I always used Duracell for all my batteries but about 2 years ago after having problems with AA and CR2032 batteries either being DOA or failing very shortly after, I have switched to using Energizer

I have no 'brand', just use Duracell, or Panasonic, or Energiser or Varta,  whatever is a good price at the time. Far too much paranoia over battery brands. If you open the pack, measure voltage, and it punches out 3.3v, you should be fine...

12 hours ago, mburdett555 said:

Ta, read about problems with cheap batteries causing additional problems or still flagging the warning message , but guess I'll try the Duracell ones I ordered 

There's a big difference between being made cheaply and being sold cheaply.  Something I've struggled to get across to relatives...just because they've spent a lot on something, doesn't mean it cost a lot to make.

Those Panasonic's are genuine as far as I can tell.  I think it's Duracell's that have the warning sticker on them so make sure there's no residue left on them after removing that.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

There's a big difference between being made cheaply and being sold cheaply. 

That's exactly why the 1st section I visit in any supermarket is the 'reduced' section! You get the same quality product, but pay alot less. Thankfully for me, there is much snobbery on visiting this section, which I don't suffer from at all! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surprisingly after testing both my keys OLD batteries they actually read just over 3 volts on the multi meter, thought they'd be less than that to trigger the message on the dash...

3.03v on the low key

3.10v on the unused key

Will check the batteries I've ordered, presumably I want at least 3.1v then...otherwise a dud purchase lol.

Tbf I'm not particularly knowledgeable around electrics. Obviously the batteries aren't like a banana milkshake that gets sucked empty 

43 minutes ago, mburdett555 said:

Will check the batteries I've ordered, presumably I want at least 3.1v then...otherwise a dud purchase lol.

Nope, for a brand new out of the packet battery, you should get 3.3v, once below 3v, they will give issues...

1658111810_goodbadbatterycaption.thumb.jpg.a566279fbaedc75efbbe90d2bce3e862.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Nope, for a brand new out of the packet battery, you should get 3.3v, once below 3v, they will give issues...

1658111810_goodbadbatterycaption.thumb.jpg.a566279fbaedc75efbbe90d2bce3e862.jpg

New Duracells off amazon giving just over 3.2v, I can live with that 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got a focus Mk2, anyone help with how I open the key to replace batteries?  Does it just pull apart?  Don't want to break anything.  thanks

7 minutes ago, Bar72 said:

I've just got a focus Mk2, anyone help with how I open the key to replace batteries?  Does it just pull apart?  Don't want to break anything.  thanks

• Like 1

thanks to both of you for the help.

Recently (3 days ago) changed both 3 button remote keyfob batteries as the wifes one got the Fob battery low warning. Mine still works fine but hers has given up the ghost. The battery reads 3.27v so it's not that. Got it tested and it's not putting out any signal. Is this a common fault, the innards of the fob just dying. Is it possible to have a similar fob from a similarly aged and make/type of car cleared of original settings and reprogrammed to suit my 2011 Focus Titanium?

Edited by Grampabill
surplus word.

It's the car that gets programmed to the key, not the other way round.

Yes you can programme a replacement in to the car provided you have two keys that work in the ignition and start the engine.

it's rare for keyfobs to just die. Firstly check is the battery in the correct way up ?  Did you clean the replacement battery with something like IPA or acetone (nail polish remover) ?

Have you used the working remote and stood outside the vehicle and used the buttons to lock and unlock the doors 3 times in quick succession ?

• Like 1