Do Not Sell My Personal Information

asking for advice

ramo

Hello my friends
Please kindly answer this inquiry..
I plan to buy a Ford Focus because I am a fan of this model, but I have never purchased one before.
So I ask advice from you because I have already found one at a reasonable price for me, but i am worried because  of the high kilometers on it (more than 200K), knowing that the specifications are below, thank you very much.
#Poland
Register 2005
Odometer 209,788 km
Engine 1.6 TDCi, 80kW
Transmission 5 - speed
Color silver-metallic paint

Body type Hatchback
Fuel Diesel Dieselimage.png.d0a139d6a699d947bf21198fd7df786b.png

Diesels can take high miles but with any car of that age are there any records of services or work done?  Things like bushes and bearings can start to wear out, often not too expensive to change though.

A bit of dark smoke on startup or hard acceleration is fine but not white smoke.  Look for gunge in the oil filler cap.

Get under the car, look for oil drips.

Give the suspension a rock, it should bounce once then settle.

Take it for a long enough drive so that it warms up and you can prove the thermostat is ok.

Best though is to go with your head, does it drive right, if not walk away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ramo said:
Hello my friends
Please kindly answer this inquiry..
I plan to buy a Ford Focus because I am a fan of this model, but I have never purchased one before.
So I ask advice from you because I have already found one at a reasonable price for me, but i am worried because  of the high kilometers on it (more than 200K), knowing that the specifications are below, thank you very much.
#Poland
Register 2005
Odometer 209,788 km
Engine 1.6 TDCi, 80kW
Transmission 5 - speed
Color silver-metallic paint

Body type Hatchback
Fuel Diesel Dieselimage.png.d0a139d6a699d947bf21198fd7df786b.png

Personally I'd avoid that car because it has the 1.6 TDCi fitted, if you google "1.6 tdci oil starvation" you'll quickly understand why.  Unfortunately this engine has a tendency to "coke up" internally, this crap gets into the oil, blocks the filter on the oil feed and then the turbo goes boom.  Replacing a blown turbo involves replacing/cleaning the entire oil feed system and there's no guarantee that it won't happen again.

If your driving requirements need a diesel then I'd suggest either the 1.8 TDCi (sounds a bit rough but doesn't have a DPF and is generally considered to be bulletproof on the MK2 Focus) or the 2.0 TDCi which DOES have a DPF but is generally considered to be pretty reliable.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ramo said:

1979Damian

Damian 

Thank you bro..

I appreciate your help,

Thanks a lot. 

You're welcome, this forum is really friendly and there are some REALLY knowledgeable people on here such as @iantt and @JW1982 so don't be afraid to post back if you have any questions in the future 👍

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ramo said:

1979Damian

Damian 

Thank you bro..

I appreciate your help,

Thanks a lot. 

The ideal model would be a 1.8TDCi if you prefer Diesel,

It's the only real ford engine all other TDCI engines are Citröen HDi engines with a ford badge, ford fitted them for emissions standards, 

The 1.8TDCi has no dpf and a timing chain, 

Only common problems then are; 

Leaking windscreen washer jet seals; around the bonnet the seal hardens then allows rain water to get inside the bonnet: some silicone around the jet under the bonnet stops this, 

The boot can leak due to seals around the bolts on the boot spoiler; remove spoiler; silicone around bolt holes then refit the spoiler with the silicone between spoiler and boot panel like a sandwich. 

The engine bay fuse box lid seal can deteriorate; letting water in to bridge connections on the relays; this can cause the wipers, horn, indicators and lights to function on there own, easy fix to replace the lid. 

All common issues,

I have a 2010 1.6TDCi focus since brand new in 2010, has now got 314,000km on the clock; has only ever required regular service items aswell as a new alternator and one fuel injector seal in ten years of ownership. 

However the egr was blanked at 1,200km and the dpf was gutted and remapped at 12,000km which has really helped prolong the life of the turbo 314,000km now on factory fitted turbo. 

But not all 1.6TDCi are as well taken care of; my advice to you is to choose a 1.8TDCi or if going petrol then the ST is the only good petrol focus as the 1.6 petrol Volvo engine suffers from internal decay due to leaking windscreen washer jets; if not sealed with silicone; they leak inside the coil packs and destroy the inside. 

The 1.4 petrol I'd also a Peugeot 

I have a list of guides here which you may also like: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68214-full-list-lennys-guides/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ramo said:

Lenny

Thanks you very much :smile:

No problem; forget to mention the 1.8TDCi never had a DPF fitted, just an EGR valve which doesn't flag any errors when blanked. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a question about the 1.8TDCI, my son has that car. A Focus 1.8TDCI mark2.5. I was under the impression it had a belt, but you say it has a chain ?

Focus Mk 2.5 1.8 tdci has fitted 'wet belt' instead of the chain starting from MY 2009. The surest is to undo the 'wet belt' or chain tensioner and check for the the head shape; if domed then there's a chain, flat head indicate 'wet belt'. Wen putting back the tensioner use torque wrench and 63Nm torque. Be careful not to loose copper washer when removing and returning the tensioner.

BTW plenty of you tube videos under focus 1.8tdci or similar...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lenny said:

The 1.8TDCi has no dpf and a timing chain

Slight correction: it has a chain from the crank to the injection pump, changed to a wet belt on later engines. It has a conventional dry belt from the pump to the camshaft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Diesels can take high miles but with any car of that age are there any records of services or work done?  Things like bushes and bearings can start to wear out, often not too expensive to change though.

A bit of dark smoke on startup or hard acceleration is fine but not white smoke.  Look for gunge in the oil filler cap.

Get under the car, look for oil drips.

Give the suspension a rock, it should bounce once then settle.

Take it for a long enough drive so that it warms up and you can prove the thermostat is ok.

Best though is to go with your head, does it drive right, if not walk away.

Thanks bro

Thanks for all answers 

guys what about this car :

its a better ? what do you think ?

image.thumb.png.fdef23eab0eabee1e84ce818e325f19a.png

image.thumb.png.2c535a730bd556b9489551c74de058e4.png  

2 hours ago, mjt said:

Slight correction: it has a chain from the crank to the injection pump, changed to a wet belt on later engines. It has a conventional dry belt from the pump to the camshaft.

Thanks my friend 

4 hours ago, Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci said:

Focus Mk 2.5 1.8 tdci has fitted 'wet belt' instead of the chain starting from MY 2009. The surest is to undo the 'wet belt' or chain tensioner and check for the the head shape; if domed then there's a chain, flat head indicate 'wet belt'. Wen putting back the tensioner use torque wrench and 63Nm torque. Be careful not to loose copper washer when removing and returning the tensioner.

BTW plenty of you tube videos under focus 1.8tdci or similar...

Thanks a lot 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club