Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed Sign Recognition - Not working as advertised

Danny E

Hi my 2020fiestas ssr seems to freeze it works reading all speed signs then when it does recognise one it freezes for a while the starts reading signs again. 
it definitely uses both sat nav and camera. 

• 1 month later...

Hi my kuga had a software update and the speed sign recognition has not worked since, as I speak the car is back for the third time. It would seem that this system does not work, having said that it did work for a year, just been out in a friend's and it didn't work properly. Also three days ago it went blank coming out of a thirty mile limit and it dropped the bluetooth connection i had to turn off the car and reload the connection this Also has happened three times. 

It may be a config issue.

When I was playing around with my MK4, trying to get all of the Driver's Pack activated, mine started to become blank until the camera saw a sign, it would then show up and go off again until the next one.

I had to reinstall factory asbuilt to get it to work again

I'm sure there's a setting for information 

INFO:
- SLIF - speed limit information function
- SLOIF - speed limit and other informations (overtaking signs)
- ("Traffic Sign Recognition"):

It's probably configured wrong

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16762

I have SSR on my Mk4 focus. It seems to read signs well but if there’s no signs it’s just blank. I think only once I have seen it show a limit when there was no sign - and I presumed this was using data from Sat Nav instead, but I couldn’t swear to it, possibly was a sign I just didn’t see. 

1 hour ago, SkiDyve said:

I have SSR on my Mk4 focus. It seems to read signs well but if there’s no signs it’s just blank. I think only once I have seen it show a limit when there was no sign - and I presumed this was using data from Sat Nav instead, but I couldn’t swear to it, possibly was a sign I just didn’t see. 

Did you find the thread re the mk4 auto box issue? 

• 4 weeks later...

Since I last posted in April, my car has been back to the dealers a number of times and the fault has now been registered with Ford Technical. 

The current situation as of yesterday;

• The car hasn't displayed 60 in a 30 since the latest software update.
  • It does still occasionally display 120 in a 30.
  • It still "forgets" any displayed limit if you turn left or right.
  • With the limiter on, it will limit the car to 20 until it sees a sign.
  • Yesterday it displayed 5 in a 30 but I didn't notice a sign.
  • When entering a national speed limit it now briefly displays the national speed limit sign.
  • I've not been able to test whether it can now see motorway overhead speed limit matrix signs.

On 21st June I posed the following questions to Ford Technical;

• Is the system designed to "forget" the displayed limit whenever the vehicle turns off of the road? I would expect the answer to be no as, if the answer was yes it would render the system somewhat useless when used in conjunction with the intelligent speed limiter but it is worth asking the question.
  • I am puzzled that the system now briefly displays the national speed limit sign and then extinguishes. I don't believe the car has any way of knowing whether it is on a 60 or 70mph road. What is it expected to show in a national speed limit area?
  • Is the system designed to see and respond to motorway overhead matrix signs?

I would have expected the answers to come back almost by return but it seems they are not as easy to answer as I thought.

On its own I'd say that the system is nothing more than a gimmick but, when connected to the intelligent speed limiter, I'd say it is a dangerous gimmick.

What does yours do?

Get them to downgrade it to standard spec (SLIF??) which will remove the 2nd display for road signs (which doesn't work properly) and the speed limits will be displayed (and used in intelligent speed limiter) from the information from the sat nav system.

Then ask for the £500 back for the Driver's assistance pack

• Like 3

22 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Get them to downgrade it to standard spec (SLIF??) which will remove the 2nd display for road signs (which doesn't work properly) and the speed limits will be displayed (and used in intelligent speed limiter) from the information from the sat nav system.

Then ask for the £500 back for the Driver's assistance pack

Second display? I only get the one display. I should add that the car was purchased pre owned via Ford Direct.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:14 PM, Graham B said:

Second display? I only get the one display. I should add that the car was purchased pre owned via Ford Direct.

Ah, you haven't got driver's assistance pack then, so no speed sign recognition.

It's a configuration issue, it's looking at signs all the time (SLOIF), whereas it should be looking at data from the navigation (SLIF).

Get them to look at the speed sign configuration and change it to SLIF

44 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

driver's assistance pack

Hi Dave, do you know what was included in the drivers assistance pack on a 2019 Focus Titanium X ?

I bought my car when it was 6 months old and don't actually know if it has the DA pack. It does have front and rear parking sensors (but no camera) and it does display speed signs.

25 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi Dave, do you know what was included in the drivers assistance pack on a 2019 Focus Titanium X ?

I bought my car when it was 6 months old and don't actually know if it has the DA pack. It does have front and rear parking sensors (but no camera) and it does display speed signs.

Sorry to but in Dave, but I still have a brochure from 2019.

DA Pack was TSR, Auto High Beam and Adaptive Cruise Control.

The rear view camera was part of the Convenience Pack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tizer, thanks for the information. I do have TSR, but not Auto High Beam (which I would like), and I don't have Adaptive Cruise Control (which I would love).

I have fitted a rear view camera myself now which works really well, just don't have the parking lines move when I turn the wheel.

24 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi Tizer, thanks for the information. I do have TSR, but not Auto High Beam (which I would like), and I don't have Adaptive Cruise Control (which I would love).

I have fitted a rear view camera myself now which works really well, just don't have the parking lines move when I turn the wheel.

No problem, the TSR may be just from the maps like mine.

I have the Convenience Pack but not the DA Pack.

1 hour ago, unofix said:

I have activated AHB on my Titanium with Forscan.

I have codes if you want them.

ACC and stop & go with lane centring assist (auto only)is do-able but you need to change the steering wheel switch

You only have TSR with Driver's *****. Pack (Two Circles) 

• Like 2

If you have the Drive Assist Package it should work as follows

Display the current speed limit at all times

IMG_20210705_145443.thumb.jpg.ff6798d934b840a5651c26ea6767f49b.jpg

In theory the second circle should show other signs , but mine has only every shown a no overtaking

IMG_20210705_145913.thumb.jpg.215759b8fbb88107e58f92c757f06f86.jpg

Then the secondary icon should fade to black and white, before going blank again.

IMG_20210705_150003.thumb.jpg.a79fd231fcc1d2055d98a2e0b2c58e19.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Ah, you haven't got driver's assistance pack then, so no speed sign recognition.

It's a configuration issue, it's looking at signs all the time (SLOIF), whereas it should be looking at data from the navigation (SLIF).

Get them to look at the speed sign configuration and change it to SLIF

It does have speed sign recognition. Due to vegetation obscuring a couple of speed limit signs it now misses them where previously it saw them. Looking at the list of Safety and Driver Assistance features and fitted options, it has;

Lane keeping aid,

Collision mitigation system (Don't get me started on that),

Front and rear parking sensors,

Intelligent speed assistance,

Automatic headlamp levelling,

Lots of other things but I'm guessing some or all of the above might be part of any drivers assistance pack?

I've now received a reply from Ford technical. My questions are in plain text, the answers are in bold italic.

Is the system designed to “forget” the displayed limit whenever the vehicle turns off of the road? I would expect the answer to be no as, if the answer was yes it would render the system somewhat useless when used in conjunction with the intelligent speed limiter but it is worth asking the question.

I do not believe the system remembers limits. It will read this via the camera.

I am puzzled that the system now briefly displays the national speed limit sign and then extinguishes. I don’t believe the car has any way of knowing whether it is on a 60 or 70mph road. What is it expected to show in a national speed limit area? 

These are the rules of thumb

- TSR is not using data of the Navigation system

- There are some situation where no speed limit is shown, e.g. after passing a city entrance

- National speed limits are not displayed.

Is the system designed to see and respond to motorway overhead matrix signs?

No the system has it limitations and depending on the sign there are scenarios where it wont read it

Definition of TSR Camera Only:

Forward looking camera is used to identify speed limits. Navigation data is not used even if Navigation system might be available. Speed limit display performance depends on the number of speed limit signs on the road. National Speed limits are not displayed --> example: passing a city entrance sign will lead to no speed limit display.

My system remembers speed limits for at least a mile so long as I don't turn left or right, probably longer. It also displays national speed limit signs for a few seconds. I'll need to go out with my daughter tomorrow to take some photos etc and then reply. I get the feeling that the guy who has written this is American given the reference to "city" entrances. 

• Confused 1

I've never seen mine show the national speed limit sign, it always show a number, ie 70, I'm pretty sure he's wrong with the motorway overheads 99.99% mine reads them, well certainly on the M60 round Manchester.

• Like 1

Well this has turned in to an interesting tread 😀

So it seems my car does not have 'Drivers Assistance Pack' but it does display Speed Signs. It also must be actually seeing the signs as there is a stretch of road near by that is 60MPH, but some how along its length there is a random 40 sign, which my car always picks up, displays 40 and then changes back when I pass the next 60.

I find it hard to think that my car never uses any information from the sat nav, as again there are roads near by that the signs are missing or damaged that can't be read (not even by me) and yet the car still displays the correct speed.

As for the national speed sign (what an out dated piece of junk) I'm sure I've seen my car display it. Now I'm going to have to go out and try all this stuff I've just said to prove to myself I'm not just talking BullS##t

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark-UK said:

I've never seen mine show the national speed limit sign, it always show a number, ie 70, I'm pretty sure he's wrong with the motorway overheads 99.99% mine reads them, well certainly on the M60 round Manchester.

Mine shows 70/60 for national speed limits depending on what road I'm on but never has shown a national speed limit sign.

As for overhead matrix I'm not so sure as I don't go on motorways that often but I'm heading out tomorrow and will purposely go via the M1 under the matrix signs and see.

10 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

ACC and stop & go with lane centring assist (auto only)is do-able but you need to change the steering wheel switch

Hi Dave, if could let me know the changes needed to turn on AHB that would be great 👍

• Like 1

Rubbish screen shot from my daughters phone but hopefully you can see the national speed limit sign displayed.

National speed limit displayed.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:15 AM, DaveT70 said:

Hi Dave, I've followed your instructions and pleased to report AHB installed (see photo) and as far as I can tell it is working (will take the car out tonight for a full test). The AHB symbol comes up on the dash when the headlight come on, so just need to check the HB switches on when I'm doing more than 30MPH.

Couple of odd random things happened while I did the update.  The AutoLock option to switch it off disappeared from the Locks option on the display, although autolocking was still working. I had to go back in to the IPC module and turn it back to 'Enabled' and it now seems to be back and working OK.  Now for the crazzy one I now have in the 'Chimes' option a 'Parking Space found' (see photo) my car does not have self park so no idea what it is.

DSC_0102.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

• Like 1

Just for amusement, here's a photo of my car stopped in Tenterden High Street (30mph limit) with the dash indicating the limit is 120mph.

Can I use it in my defence in court? 😇

120mph.jpg

17 minutes ago, Graham B said:

indicating the limit is 120mph

Very good if only ............

There is something about the font of that 120 sign that makes me think its working in KM even though I can see your dash is set to miles.

I think to use a technical term your system is fubar !!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club