Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tractor like rattle on start up and when driving

ConnorH2407
聽Share

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Mk6.5 fiesta and on start up cold there's an awful rattle from the engine bay. After warm up while driving the noise is still very apparent. I can't upload a video of the noise on here for some reason but any help on this would be much appreciated 馃榿

What engine? Diesel or petrol?

Which ever fuelled engine it is it sounds like the tappets may be the problem, 'Recently bought', take it back to where you bought it and tell them to sort it out.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a 1.25 petrol 16 valve only done about 43000 miles. Are the tappets expensive to get fixed? I got it from a used car dealer in wokingham . It only come with a 2 month warranty and it's passed now so all I can do is take it to my local garage. Thanks for the reply guys rally appreciate it 馃榿馃榿

I've just checked and it's still under warranty so I've messaged the people I got it from. Thanks peeps 馃榿馃榿

This is normal for these engines. When it is run the oil builds a layer under the lifter tappets and this reduces the noise. If the car has been sitting for a while the oil will thin out and it will sound noisy. Several members have reported this noise on cold start and all agree it is nothing to worry about. The 1.25 is a good engine.聽

When did the oil last get changed? Changing it might make it a little better. Or just take it for a run on the motorway for 15 mins and you will notice it sounds quieter next time you use it.