Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear wheel bearing....

sami_wright7

Hi, I'm trying to change a rear wheel bearing on my fiesta mk7. I cant find anything on YouTube to help as the only tutorials I can find is on an ST which has disc brakes not rear drum brakes like mine. Does anyone know how to do this and what screw head is required to get into the drum please? 

Also if it is actually easy enough to do myself or better off taking to a mechanic as I know I will have to mess with the brakes?

Thanks

Never changed a bearing on a MK7 but every bearing on most vehicles requires a hydraulic press to press the bearing back in, smashing it in with a large socket & hammer isn't advisable.

2 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Never changed a bearing on a MK7 but every bearing on most vehicles requires a hydraulic press to press the bearing back in, smashing it in with a large socket & hammer isn't advisable.

Sorry forgot to say mate, I haven't bought just the bearing, I bought the whole wheel hub as I knew I'd come to that problem. So its just a case of opening up the drum and getting the old hub out, but I dont wanna mess about with stuff that doesn't need messing about with lol. Just wondering if anyone knew the correct way to do it that I should follow? Cheers 

4 bolts to take off wheel

2 retaining bolts hold the drum on (they can cease sometimes)

Drum pulls off (can sometimes be stuck, hitting it from behind with a flat screwdriver normally does the trick for me)

4 bolts removes the bearing

Simple job really your be fine 👍🏻

I think you need to familiarise yourself with drum brakes. 1st, tho. 

Might help. Look for a few more youtube vids, Google is your best friend here. Didn't take me long to find this, either:

I'll look at the videos and give it a go.

Cheers 

**UPDATE**

just changed both rear coils myself. First time I've done anything like this on my own. Now the other rear wheel sounds rough when rotated but didnt sound like this a few days ago before I messed with the wheel. Is there anything else that could be causing the wheel to sound rough when rotated? I'm not convinced it's a wheel bearing now as it would be very weird for both to go in a short space of time wouldnt it? Wheel just sounds rough everytime it hits a certain part every rotation.

Any help would be great👍🏻

Rear bearings are a common fault with these, I've also learnt the hard way to only use genuine parts

If you have put the drum back together it could be the pad material on the drum, push the brakes a couple times make sure they have seated and check again

9 hours ago, liamstears said:

Rear bearings are a common fault with these, I've also learnt the hard way to only use genuine parts

If you have put the drum back together it could be the pad material on the drum, push the brakes a couple times make sure they have seated and check again

Only thing I've done is get someone to put their foot on top of the drum and push down so I could take the coil out and put the new one back in. Other than that I dont know why it would be the brakes. Not touched them yet. I'll take it for a little drive and come back and see if they are still making a rough noise. Just dont understand how one bearing has apparently gone and then before I even get a chance to change it another one has🙄

Worst part is I paid a mechanic £100 in August to supply and fit me the exact wheel bearing which has gone! Also I've not got a genuine wheel bearing, it's an aftermarket one I think so is it worth just sending that back and buying a genuine one if it definitely is the wheel bearing that needs doing? Cheers

9 hours ago, liamstears said:

Only other thing I could think is that my locking wheel nut key is rounded off a lot so quite hard to get very tight. It's not loose tho and the wheels dont seem to move or anything when I check with my hands. If this wasnt tight enough would this cause a rough noise when its rotating? It's not rough all the time just every time it hits a certain point in the rotation.

Try to buy either genuine Ford or SKF branded ones. Sometimes the OEM ones are a better price. If you can get the Ford part number (called the finis code) from Catcar.info, then do an eBay search of 'Ford + finis' you often can find nos clearance bargains that way. 

I had multiple aftermarket bearing failures that's why I went with genuine in the end, 1 aftermarket bearing only lasted a few weeks, 1 was no good before installing

Yeah one I've bought is aftermarket. And I'm guessing the one the mechanic fitted must have been after market too for it to go so soon. I'll probably send this one back then and look for the genuine ford parts or skf ones. Found the part number. Do you know the best place to look for these? I've seen your forum about picking up a set for £60 or whatever but I can only find them for around £60 each. Also with my last comments further up, will this noise definitely be the bearing, if not what else could it be? Any help would be appreciated thanks👍🏻

If you.paid £100 to a guy to supply and fit a hub, he's gonna buy the cheapest one he can. Buy cheap, pay dear. Get the finis code, say, 123456, go on eBay and enter something like this in the search box 'Ford 123456'             or 'Genuine Ford 123456'         remember, you're buying a whole hub,including new bolts, not just a bearing so £60 is v. reasonable for a quality part.    

Yeh £60 each is prob the cheapest you can find them, correct code is 2126980

when I did mine I looked round and found ford 1896739 cheap, these are identical apart from not having the holes for the drum retaining bolts but work perfectly fine, I was lucky with the price I paid

Okay perfect. Thanks to both of you for your help. I'll send the aftermarket one back because that cost me £50 so may aswell pay an extra tenner and have one that actually lasts. I'll let yous know how it goes👍🏻

Yeh defo worth the extra £10 to know it's a decent part that will last 👍🏻

Did you find anything with that extra noise after doing the coil?

No that's why I'm worried cus it's the same noise but on the other side. Like one of yous suggested could have been the brakes as I hadn't drove it since doing it. I'll jack it up later after work and test it again. Just dont wanna waste £50 on a new bearing if its something else. But i checked it a couple days before I changed the coils and it wasnt making any noise at all. As soon as I'd done them I checked to compare it to the side with the bearing that's gone and they're both doing it🤣🤣ffs

Ill let you know how it goes later mate as it could have been brakes needed using a bit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club