Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electronic Handbrake Issue

Fingers77

Hi all, first post here. I have a 2019 Titanium X 1.5 Diesel (doesn’t require AdBlue). The issue I have is that the electronic handbrake is not releasing automatically as I drive off. It’s not something that I use often but tried to use the function today and stalled the car. I don’t know if it’s coincidence that a fault had arisen or if it’s related to the car being serviced yesterday (1st service 6080 miles). I have spoken to the deputy service manager at my local dealer and he said that Auto Hold has to be enabled for this to work which I know not to be the case as I never use Auto Hold. 

I popped back to the dealer late this afternoon and a mechanic had a quick look, switched Hill Start  AssIt’s off and on and it seemed to be ok. I drove away trying the handbrake at every junction on the way home and again no auto release. By this time the dealership was closed so couldn’t go back. I’m now waiting on a reply to an email to have the car looked at. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had this fault occur?

If you were to use auto hold then there will be no need to put the handbrake on constantly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

If you were to use auto hold then there will be no need to put the handbrake on constantly.

Yes I realise that but that doesn’t explain why the handbrake is not releasing automatically as it should and has done previously. I should be able to get in the car start up, put it in gear and drive away without having to release the handbrake regardless of whether Auto Hold is used or not. Shouldn’t I?

The OP is correct you don't need autohold on for the handbrake to release automatically when pulling away from being parked.Although I don't why you wouldn't want to use Autohold as its one of the best features on the car.

• Like 2

Are you wearing your seatbelt? The handbrake won't release automatically if your seatbelt is off

41 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Are you wearing your seatbelt? The handbrake won't release automatically if your seatbelt is off

Yeah. I saw that warning flash up when I tried it in the dealer car park. Fastened the belt but no difference. The drive home from the dealer is about 3 miles, 6 times using the handbrake all the same. 

49 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

The OP is correct you don't need autohold on for the handbrake to release automatically when pulling away from being parked.Although I don't why you wouldn't want to use Autohold as its one of the best features on the car.

I’ve only had the car since late January so still getting used to some of the gadgets. Obviously driving at the moment has been reduced to a minimum, only doing roughly 80 miles per week so not having much time behind the wheel. If or when we get back to some sort of normal and motorway driving again I’m sure the Auto Hold will become a regular use. 

• Like 1

I’ve only recently started using auto hold.  mines an automatic. Only ever put the park brake on when parked the car but yeah when I put it in drive the park brake disengages when I accelerate like hill start assist or auto hold does. I’d say no coincidence re the service. Auto hold on or not it should release 

I’ve only recently started using auto hold.  mines an automatic. Only ever put the park brake on when parked the car but yeah when I put it in drive the park brake disengages when I accelerate like hill start assist or auto hold does. I’d say no coincidence re the service. Auto hold on or not it should release 
My focus was an automatic and had a manual handbrake, I never used the handbrake. Even when parked I didn't use it, no need on an auto because when it's in 'park' it's going nowhere.

Now I have an A class and it has an electronic handbrake. I now have to consciously let the handbrake off when I park because when you stop the engine the handbrake comes on automatically. I don't always do that but with the way things are right now I have made sure I do it, the car hasn't moved for 2½ months now [emoji3525] I don't want the handbrake to jam on.

13 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

The same applies to doors - I've noticed that you cannot drive off unless the driver door is fully closed (I guess it's the same for all doors). Even if your door is closed, it could have a dodgy sensor.

On 5/21/2020 at 9:33 AM, Dark Andy said:

The same applies to doors - I've noticed that you cannot drive off unless the driver door is fully closed (I guess it's the same for all doors). Even if your door is closed, it could have a dodgy sensor.

Is that the same for the boot lid being open?   I sometimes have a long or awkward load and let it stick out with the boot lid held down with a bungee  (not often but it happens) which is OK on my old Mk2.  I am looking at getting a Mk4 estate and see they all come with electric hand brake in the trim I want.  Do they not trust people to drive sensibly without being controlled by gadgets nowadays? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club