Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seat connectors

casuk

Hi all just starting a fresh thread, looking for some info on the seat connectors under the seat on my 2009 fiesta, I have two connectors going into the black box, one orange (airbag) one purple (seat belt) on the new seats the air bag connector is yellow is that just a coulor change and should fit ok? There is also 3 more connectors blue, brown, and black, looks to be for the heated element, do I just place them out of the way and not connect they 3, 20200521_132605.thumb.jpg.8d094d7b891322b809130dd151b8316a.jpg

20200521_142404.jpg

Have to removed the plugs and checked the sizes?

I would say you can plug the all the wires in, if your car didn't originally have heated seats then it won't be activated so having them plugged in won't do anything. It would stop them from getting damaged or rattling about.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No I didnt want to start messing around until I got some advice

4 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Have to removed the plugs and checked the sizes?

I would say you can plug the all the wires in, if your car didn't originally have heated seats then it won't be activated so having them plugged in won't do anything. It would stop them from getting damaged or rattling about.

No I didnt want to start messing around until I got some advice, when you say remove the plugs do you mean disconnect the plugs from the black box, I just really want to know if the seat bag and seat belt plugs from my car will fit the new seats do they just plug in and go no modifications, ill just tape the spares to the bottom of the seat 

• Like 1

You may find that when you remove the plugs to swap them over that you get warning lights on the dash, you will need to clear them with a code reader.

• Like 1

I was going to disconnect the battery before I do it then connect it back up when the seats are in, I was worried about dash lights after the swap 

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

You may find that when you remove the plugs to swap them over that you get warning lights on the dash, you will need to clear them with a code reader.

• Like 2

That could avoid an issue.

Have you checked the new seats properly? Habe a good look at the seatbelt pretensioners and make sure they haven't been activated, there was someone on this group who changed the seats on his focus, and it wasn't until right near the end that he noticed that they had been activated and were useless. I'm pretty sure he ended up swapping the rails over in the end

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Have you checked the new seats properly? Habe a good look at the seatbelt pretensioners and make sure they haven't been activated, there was someone on this group who changed the seats on his focus, and it wasn't until right near the end that he noticed that they had been activated and were useless. I'm pretty sure he ended up swapping the rails over in the end

To be honest mate I'm not sure what to look for on the pretensioners, i was hoping this would  just be a matter of swapping the seats over plugging the connectors and that's it, planning on doing it today, I'm extremely nervous that I set of an airbag or something else happens 

13 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

23 minutes ago, casuk said:

To be honest mate I'm not sure what to look for on the pretensioners, i was hoping this would  just be a matter of swapping the seats over plugging the connectors and that's it, planning on doing it today, I'm extremely nervous that I set of an airbag or something else happens 

😊 that was me ☺️ the seat belt socket and pre-tensioner is secured with a single bolt; I transferred my original units across to the new seats; the reason I then changed the pan and rails was because in my case the originals were badly rusted from sitting in the floor of a shed for over a year before I got to purchase them. 

The connection blocks each have a sort of ripple in the casing; a plastic line raised along the surface; each of these connector blocks has the line positioned differently; this line then slides in to a corresponding port on the bigger black plastic block; this is to insure you dont put the wrong colour of plug in to the wrong slot on the block; it's not possible as the fin on the plug won't line up to allow in go in. 

All in my guide here although mine was a focus; there all the same to this level of regard; theres also images of the pre-tensioner which was used or shot to best describe how it works; with it having deployed then it could have triggered the air bag as a chain reaction if I had plugged it into the loom. 

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/115717-rusty-seat-rail-repair/ 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, casuk said:

I was going to disconnect the battery before I do it then connect it back up when the seats are in, I was worried about dash lights after the swap 

I drove around with just a drivers seat fitted at the time; I drove to purchase a new Henry pet Hoover to use prior to fitting the new seats; the engine management light was activated due to the complete absence of the passenger seat; However it disappeared after I had finished installing; 

The seats don't possess any data code or anything specific in terms of software which would then need to be synchronised to your GEM or ECU like an injector; no the seats are just plug in and go; if there's a breach in the cables connected then the Engine management light (EML) is activated. 

• Like 1

Seat belts look ok no wrinkles and doesn't look like it's been activated,  should i take the front seats out and fit new ones hoping that the plugs fit, connect the battery (with my fingers crossed) and see if any lights come up and that will be it, id just need to clear any warning lights after that 

That's the plugs and box 20200521_132609.thumb.jpg.a22131a9cadaea3bd4818eed426b9229.jpg

20200522_094106.jpg

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

I drove around with just a drivers seat fitted at the time; I drove to purchase a new Henry pet Hoover to use prior to fitting the new seats; the engine management light was activated due to the complete absence of the passenger seat; However it disappeared after I had finished installing; 

The seats don't possess any data code or anything specific in terms of software which would then need to be synchronised to your GEM or ECU like an injector; no the seats are just plug in and go; if there's a breach in the cables connected then the Engine management light (EML) is activated. 

Hi mate would I be able to disconnect the plugs under my seat while battery is still connected 

1 minute ago, casuk said:

Hi mate would I be able to disconnect the plugs under my seat while battery is still connected 

I have done, without disconnecting the battery as long as the key isint in the ignition then in my opinion all should be fine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I have done, without disconnecting the battery as long as the key isint in the ignition then in my opinion all should be fine. 

Thanks lenny, think I'll try it just to check the plugs, so no key in the ignition if I want to remover plugs, I was thinking of disconnecting the battery and doing the front drivers seat then connect battery and if it's ok disconnect battery then do the rest, 

6 minutes ago, casuk said:

Thanks lenny, think I'll try it just to check the plugs, so no key in the ignition if I want to remover plugs, I was thinking of disconnecting the battery and doing the front drivers seat then connect battery and if it's ok disconnect battery then do the rest, 

There are capacitors in the airbag system in case the power supply gets damaged in the impact.  You should really wait ~10 minutes after switching off/disconnecting to make sure they're discharged.

• Like 2

Seat belts look ok no wrinkles and doesn't look like it's been activated,  should i take the front seats out and fit new ones hoping that the plugs fit, connect the battery (with my fingers crossed) and see if any lights come up and that will be it, id just need to clear any warning lights after that imageproxy.php?img=&key=0e662d3074f136c9a7c9484ba77c4a2b2dbc21e666a1c0eeca2dc2c26b7a6603
That's the plugs and box 20200521_132609.thumb.jpg.a22131a9cadaea3bd4818eed426b9229.jpg
20200522_094106.thumb.jpg.20e451117e480775cb0ab3a1de76bac7.jpg

You can see the fins on the purple and yellow plugs that@Lenny is talking about, the purple ones are offset so they can't go in the wrong socket.

I thought it was you that had done the seats@Lenny bit didn't want to tag you in case I was wrong lol.

• Thanks 1

Got them all in and fitted no lights on the dash either, I didn't have a mount box thing on the replacement seats so I'll have to secure the wires beneath the seat some how but all connected fine, just need a good clean now, look so much beter but really firm just now 

20200522_162214.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good, did you change the rears too?

Might have been easier to clean them up before putting them in the car though. You can probably cable tie the wires up an wrap them in fabric electrical tape. If you cable tie them then make sure there is enough play in the wires to allow the seat to slide back and forth to its furthest points.

• Like 2

Yeah that was a bit of a pain to do but got it done, I was planning on vacuuming the carpets doing a deep clean but it started to rain so just waiting in a dry day and I'll get stuck into it, might even take them back out for the clean 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club