Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Start with Start Button

morrismen

Went to the car today and remote did not unlock the car. When entering with the key, the dash was dead on trying to start with the Start button.

I connected a battery Booster 900A and as soon as I did the alarm went off and on! This annoyed all neighbours for a while until I disconnected it and put a trickle charger on.

The trickle charger showed 1.3A so the battery was in need of a charge I guess and after about 20 mins it went down to 0.5A. So I tried to start the car and there was a tick-tick from the left side of the dash for about 30 secs and then nothing - no start.

The manual has not helped me with the start process or timing with this Start button when the battery has gone flat and been recharged.

Is there some sort of battery module that has to get charged too before the engine will turnover with the Start button?  

Thanks

Try charging the battery for longer, 20 mins is not enough really. Can you leave the charger on overnight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Frembrit said:

Try charging the battery for longer, 20 mins is not enough really. Can you leave the charger on overnight?

Not needed to use a charger for years until recently when I updated to a "smart" charger to use in the current (no pun intended😀) situation. I found the instructions for both the Ctec MXS-5 and Noco Genius 5 5A chargers suggest 12 hours is needed to get an empty 60A battery up to 80% charge.

• Thanks 1

Well, I tried to start it and the battery really drained out to 4.5 amps - completely depleted - Found there is a BCM (battery Control Module) which is what is being read on external charger as the Amp reading.

The BCM SHOULD allow the car to start regardless of whether the battery is drained or not, BUT it is unreliable on Mondeo's and has been since the MkIV's were brought in - it depletes charge also! What!?!?!

So I left it to charge overnight and the amps were 1amp this morning. Car started first time too. Battery is still good luckily. 

It appears if the MkIV has two lock modes. If left too long (like 7 days) with the Alarm and Double Lock set on (the indicator lights blink to make the 2nd mode set), then the battery depletes much more quickly! Dam. I'll avoid double locking this when leaving the car too long.

Took it for a drive afterwards, and what a difference! It's like the car performance was straight out of the factory - everything reset like new. Wow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 11:14 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not needed to use a charger for years until recently when I updated to a "smart" charger to use in the current (no pun intended😀) situation. I found the instructions for both the Ctec MXS-5 and Noco Genius 5 5A chargers suggest 12 hours is needed to get an empty 60A battery up to 80% charge.

As a side note, the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger seems to genuinely live up to it's award winning position in Autoexpress latest group test of chargers.  It managed to recover a Bosch S5 battery that had been sat at 9 volts for 7+ days to a level where a battery test (CCA loading) passed with flying colours.

It's certainly not the cheapest option but with the additional modes for desulphation and long term trickle charge support, it's likely saved me £100 on replacing the battery and the hassle of running around like a headless chicken trying to find a decent battery at a decent price when my car won't start!

Plus it's ***** tiny compared to most chargers with comparable specs, so you can get away with it being in your kitchen (unless your other half is particularly harsh!) :taz:

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 4:31 PM, morrismen said:

It appears if the MkIV has two lock modes. If left too long (like 7 days) with the Alarm and Double Lock set on (the indicator lights blink to make the 2nd mode set), then the battery depletes much more quickly! Dam. I'll avoid double locking this when leaving the car too long.

Sorry but that's not right, my car was double locked (dead locked) at the beginning of the "lockdown" and just left there. After nine weeks I opened the car with the key blade as the car had gone into hibernation.... and she fired straight up.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a different set up to the ecoboost model.

Ecoboost is just the engine, a Mk4 Mondeo is a Mk4 Mondeo so should have the same (within reason) electrical system. Dead locking just activates the second motor in the door lock to disable the interior handle from working. It won't drain the battery any quicker than a single lock.

As for the hibernation feature, Focus, Mondeo and Smax of this era all do it.

So what's your point. Where is your evidence to back up what you say?

My evidence is I had not used the secondary double lock before. I set it by accident where I noted the indicator lights came. So I double checked on line what this meant and it was the double lock, and this appears to enable additional all round sensors on the car when enabled - mine were. So I put it down to the double locking combination.

Since not double locking, the battery has not failed, even with leaving it 14 days.

So it's a simple process of elimination and I don't buy your theory. I'll let others decide what is correct here. Moving on.

43 minutes ago, morrismen said:

I don't buy your theory. I'll let others decide what is correct here. Moving on.

Each to their own, you clearly know more than I do about this particular car so I'll refrain from offering you any help again.

🙄

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club