Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 Rims and Tire compatibility

Heleas03

Hello guys, I need some help. I want to change my Nokian all season tires after 9 years of service and with it the rims. I would like to buy a Pirelli Cinturato Allseason P7 Plus with new rims and I'm not entirely sure about the compatibility.

My car: Ford Focus Mk2 2006 3door hatchback 1.4 Petrol

Current Tires and Rims: 195/65/R15 x 6,5x15/5x108 

New Tires and Rims: 205/55/R16 x 6,5x16/5x108

I've looked up on Car.info and it says: Tires: 195 - 205, 50 - 65 / Rims: 15 - 17, 6 - 6,5 so it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm asking around just in case.

Tyre size wise they are fine, but make sure the wheel offset is correct too...would say ET40 or similar on the inside of the wheel somewhere, back of spoke maybe.

If the wheels are from another MK2 Focus then the chance are they will be fine.

As above, the mk2 can take any other standard Focus wheels, however I can confirm that the 18" Mondeo ST220 wheels with tyre size 225/40/18 fit the mk2 and mk2.5 absolutely fine with no 'oo that's close' kind of thoughts. You should be fine unless something very aftermarket/different.

In fact my old mk2 had 17 inch Volvo rims with 235 45 17 and that was some turning cycle 😂 I find it weird your mk2 had 15 inch rims on it. The original spec is 16 with 205 x 55  x 16. 

Which rim/tyre size was installed fully depends on the trim level and engine size. Low trim levels (poverty spec.) combined with low powered engines (with small front disc brakes) did have 15 Inch steel or alloy wheels with tyre size 195-65-15 as standard. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for the comments. I'm the second owner for 4 years now and it came with these R15 "Enzo" alloy wheels, so I'm not sure what kind of rim and tire was on the car when the first owner bought it, but anyways I want to change for an R16. And will this "change" cause any damage in the front suspension since its wider than the previous? I've heard some people saying that wider tires eventually damage your suspension.

My mk2.5 zs came with 205/55/17. I changed to 225/45/17 without issue.

9 hours ago, Heleas03 said:

... I want to change for an R16. And will this "change" cause any damage in the front suspension since its wider than the previous? I've heard some people saying that wider tires eventually damage your suspension.

It may be wider than your current spec, but not wider than what Ford originally fitted to other models so it'll be fine... Issues like that usually only arise when the owner wants to modify size beyond what the manufacturer offered from the factory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gymfocused said:

My mk2.5 zs came with 205/55/17. I changed to 225/45/17 without issue.

Your speedo will be out at that size. When your speedo reads 70mph, you'll actually be doing 3mph less than that. The correct size should be 225/50/r17 to not affect the speedo.

• Like 1

In fact the speedo will be reading 3 - 4 mph fast before the change. This is normal to ensure that drivers don't inadvertently exceed speed limits. If the change adds another 3 to this it would result in it reading 6 - 7 mph fast.

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2020 at 12:24 PM, Luke4efc said:

Your speedo will be out at that size. When your speedo reads 70mph, you'll actually be doing 3mph less than that. The correct size should be 225/50/r17 to not affect the speedo.

Would  17 inch rims 225/55r17 be too big on mk2 focus 1.6sport currently with 205/55r16 tyres  

6 hours ago, Ocuspocus said:

Would  17 inch rims 225/55r17 be too big on mk2 focus 1.6sport currently with 205/55r16 tyres  

Yes, they're nowhere near the right size to keep the speedo reading right.

If you're fitting 17" rims with a width of 225, then you'd need 225/45/r17 to keep the overall circumference the same.

And that would give a harsher ride and make the wheels more vulnerable to damage

A 17inch wheel with a lower profile tyre compared to 16inch wheel with a higher profile tyre. As less rubber to act as a buffer between road and metal wheel.

• 1 month later...

Hello I have ford focus 2005 estate I think its mk2. I want to install maximum widest tyres possible if someone can guide me or advice please.

Thank You 

John