Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any good discounts to be had on new Fords?

Linds

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

:laughing::lol:

Cheaper yes...just as reliable?  I really hope the brand new Focus' aren't as bad as the Mk3s! :tongue:  I've now owned 5x 6 year old cars, as the newest things I could afford at the time, 3 Focus', a Vectra and a Golf...all ruined by previous owners by that age, Focus's had done less than 50k each, other 2 nearly 100k.  Still depreciating heavily, breaking literally from the day I bought them home and needing constant repairs afterwards (with the exception of the Golf so far) so not allowing any trust in them at all...  Without having the modern tech I wanted either, and the bodywork being pretty scruffy on all of them, stone chips etc.  And then had months and months of hassle trying to sell each one at the end and realising they were worth even less than I'd anticipated...

I'd much rather have financed something newer if that had been an option, the payments wouldn't have been much different overall but I'd have had a better 'experience' from it.  As you know, I'm now in a position to buy another car, but due to inflation and new cars generally getting more expensive I still can't afford anything new enough to suit my needs, or anything interesting enough to suit my wants...so I'm looking at making exactly the same mistake again, buying an already well used car at around 6 years old that's a compromise that doesn't meet either my needs or wants...so it now seems like an exercise in futility!  :laugh: 

Your problem is buying diesels :tongue: Especially PSA engines

My 2009 Focus was pretty much bullet-proof in the 5 years I had it, only major unexpected repair was a PAS leak which was sorted for a couple hundred quid or so and that was that. My last two vehicles have been Fords, wanted to give Ford a shot after seeing how troublesome the last two family cars were that my parents owned (both French).

Japanese vehicles (e.g. if you avoid Ford and buy a Civic or Auris) are even better; trouble-free motoring all-round if you have a good eye when buying used (which I definitely don't doubt, since you're a bit more mechanically clued up than I am 😉). Buying used really isn't all that bad if you are good at inspecting cars, and do your research beforehand.

• Like 1

It doesnt matter how carefully you look at a car, there are still loads that can go wrong on old cars.

Vectra for example, snapped a spring coming off my driveway the first time I drive it and ripped into the tyre!  

MK2.5 drove ok on the test drive...then the fans ran on when I got home...and continued to do so after each drive as the DPF was blocked. 

MK3 diesel was partly my fault as I never checked the AC (I didn't even think about it at 6 years/42k, ***** Ford's!), the boot leak only started when the owner delivered it apparently (I had specifically asked, knowing it was a design flaw), electrical faults, dodgy clutch and rubbish engine mapping only became apparent after a longer drive.

Oh, and I get flustered and literally forget everything I know about cars when I go to look at one, so that doesn't help!!  :laugh: 

Its not just me though, my 'Uncle' has been a truck mechanic for about 40 years, and still gets stung every time he buys used cars!  Not to mention Ian's Mondeo...there aren't many people that know more about Ford's than him lol! (Except maybe Wilco!). I've also noticed how relatives that do buy brand new cars start having problems around 6 years old too.

So yeah...given the choice I'd just click and collect a brand new car on finance if I had the option! :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've bought myself a new car ... I was planning on making a change (current Focus 5+ years old from new with 92k miles on the clock) and had saved up most of what I needed before Coronavirus arrived. So if everything goes smoothly (I appreciate nothing in these troubled times is certain) I should have a new Focus Titanium (petrol this time) in 4 to 6 weeks.  The car has been identified and is sitting on a car park in Germany, I think - I was keen it was built pre-pandemic as I wanted it assembled by humans (on the occasions they are involved) concentrating on the vehicle and not whether or not they're properly socially distanced from each other.

I tried the Internet ... everyone, dealers and websites v friendly as you would expect but the deals seemed pretty limited - almost over rigid giving one the impression that the Internet was being used by dealers to limit the offerings they have to make to capture a sale - may be that's just me being a bit over-sensitive! 

Interestingly no-one is interested in cash these days (at least, not yet) - they prefer their buyers to be in debt..

Definitely would recommend telephoning dealers up - it is so much more effective to talk through the options with someone rather than hoping a few clicks of the mouse will bring about sufficiently handsome savings.

I think I went in with my eyes wide open!  I appreciate Rishi Sunak could be looking to slash VAT to get markets like the car market going ... I just have to hope I'll still be ahead of the game.  Also, if they've got a lot of stock to shift Ford might, I guess, look at their list prices ... I don't know.  I will mention that when trying to do a deal with a dealer online he said I was shortsighted not to accept his offer because Ford will be hiking their prices sometime this month.  I just wished him good luck with that!

Had to go into the dealer to test drive a petrol Focus.  Terribly impressed with the unfussed way they set about ensuring my and their safety during my visit.  If my experience is anything to go by I believe people should feel confident about visiting a dealer.

Good luck to all!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got the new Focus ... so far v impressed.

This thread has attracted quite a bit of interest but little actual feedback.  Hope you're all finding good deals out there!

Forgive my ignorance, I've just joined up, how do I put up a new post?

Go to the top of the particular forum you want and there will be a New Topic button.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At last some more exciting deals are appearing on the Internet and in my email in-tray although, so far, none as good as the deal I was able to clinch for a pre-Covid Focus in early June.

Ford did hike their list prices in mid-June in introducing the new MHEV versions of the Focus.  Presumably better fuel economy will be a major benefit of this change which will have some impact on the overall cost of ownership.

Talking the other day to my dealership salesman he told me that July looks like it will be his best month ever ... fingers crossed for that and a continuing recovery in the market.  

I'll not be buying another Focus until they release an auto with decent power.

Dealers I’ve spoken to have completed all their hand overs and new leads are starting to reduce (not just Ford).

Ill let the new Focus begin to sit in stock before going back for one. Was offered a reasonable deal on the 2020.25 but wasn’t the colour or spec I wanted so decided to hold out for the new one. Might end up waiting till early 2021 but can’t see new car sales not taking a massive hit so there should in theory be some deals to be had

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 3:34 AM, JDC14 said:

Dealers I’ve spoken to have completed all their hand overs and new leads are starting to reduce (not just Ford).

Ill let the new Focus begin to sit in stock before going back for one. Was offered a reasonable deal on the 2020.25 but wasn’t the colour or spec I wanted so decided to hold out for the new one. Might end up waiting till early 2021 but can’t see new car sales not taking a massive hit so there should in theory be some deals to be had

At last, a different as well as considered perspective and strategy.  Look forward to hearing how things pan out.

• 2 weeks later...

So how did July go?

I reported earlier that the salesman who sold me my Focus in June said that July had turned out to be his best sales month ever ... and it seems his claim has been borne out by recent magazine articles announcing car sales in July were up over 10% on 2019 - though no doubt some of these will have been self-registrations.  However overall sales for 2020 still look like ending up 30-40% down on 2019.

I was pleased to read in WhatCar? the top ten cars sold in July included the Kuga, the Focus and the Fiesta.

What about the rest of the year? 

JDC 14 tells us that "new leads are starting to reduce (not just Ford)" ... presumably as the pent up demand from Lockdown is satisfied.

Reading the foreign press there are other rumblings - in particular dealers' stocks of new cars are apparently starting to dwindle because of the prolongued factory closures over the middle of this year.

Interesting times ahead.

• Like 1

Motability was closed until the end of July...I imagine August will now be another good month for sales!  And then you'll have the 'new-platers' buying in September.  I doubt the overall figures will be as bad as predicted by the end of the year.

I've seen a huge increase in 20 plates over the last couple of weeks around here.  Very varied mix as well, nothing particularly sticks out as a majority despite living between two Ford dealers.

• Like 1

There's no lack of ford stock floating about. The problem was the stock was jam packed full at flushing in the Netherlands when lockdown was imposed. The car transporter drivers stopped work. All came to grinding halt. But since late June, deliveries stated again and now back up to speed. Now where I work we are filling up nicely with 20+ transporters a day. 

Apparently ( I'm in self isolation so not been at work last 2 weeks) it's crazy busy working 12 hr days to get the vehicles prepped and out. 

Can't wait to return Tuesday .🤑🤑🤑

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Motability was closed until the end of July...I imagine August will now be another good month for sales!  And then you'll have the 'new-platers' buying in September.  I doubt the overall figures will be as bad as predicted by the end of the year.

I've seen a huge increase in 20 plates over the last couple of weeks around here.  Very varied mix as well, nothing particularly sticks out as a majority despite living between two Ford dealers.

Motability and new plates will certainly help tick things over - but November/December is traditionally slower for sales (my understanding at least) and I think that’s where the hit will likely come.

I think Dec/Jan time will be the right time to look for a new car.

Agree with the 20 plates however, seen quite an increase in those knocking about recently but that could just be the overspill of all the deliveries that happened in June/July and more people returning to the road. 

Noticed quite a few 68/69 plates appear in my area (admittedly a lot of Focus/Fiestas as I’m looking for them) but also A3/A Class. So I think there’s still some business going on at the minute - just can’t see it lasting for several months until the country is back on track

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 2:49 PM, TomsFocus said:

:laughing::lol:

Cheaper yes...just as reliable?  I really hope the brand new Focus' aren't as bad as the Mk3s! :tongue:  I've now owned 5x 6 year old cars, as the newest things I could afford at the time, 3 Focus', a Vectra and a Golf...all ruined by previous owners by that age, Focus's had done less than 50k each, other 2 nearly 100k.  Still depreciating heavily, breaking literally from the day I bought them home and needing constant repairs afterwards (with the exception of the Golf so far) so not allowing any trust in them at all...  Without having the modern tech I wanted either, and the bodywork being pretty scruffy on all of them, stone chips etc.  And then had months and months of hassle trying to sell each one at the end and realising they were worth even less than I'd anticipated...

I'd much rather have financed something newer if that had been an option, the payments wouldn't have been much different overall but I'd have had a better 'experience' from it.  As you know, I'm now in a position to buy another car, but due to inflation and new cars generally getting more expensive I still can't afford anything new enough to suit my needs, or anything interesting enough to suit my wants...so I'm looking at making exactly the same mistake again, buying an already well used car at around 6 years old that's a compromise that doesn't meet either my needs or wants...so it now seems like an exercise in futility!  :laugh: 

You've clearly been unlucky with your cars. I bought an '06 Fiat Punto 3 years ago as a runaround / dog transporter, cost the princely sum of £200, had 80k on the clock. In the 3 years I had it, it passed the MOT each time, cost me a battery, alternator and exhaust, all of those were just age related. I wish I'd kept it now for the dog, cleaning out my new STX is getting a chore, hairs everywhere and slobber all over the windows!

• Like 1

Ford Direct have nearly new with low mileage cars all the time. That's how I got mine. I paid cash, the dealer wasn't too pushy about getting me on finance. I generally keep my cars till they fall apart so a PCP wasn't for me.

10 minutes ago, Frowma said:

You've clearly been unlucky with your cars. I bought an '06 Fiat Punto 3 years ago as a runaround / dog transporter, cost the princely sum of £200, had 80k on the clock. In the 3 years I had it, it passed the MOT each time, cost me a battery, alternator and exhaust, all of those were just age related. I wish I'd kept it now for the dog, cleaning out my new STX is getting a chore, hairs everywhere and slobber all over the windows!

In fairness, I have had some cheap runarounds that were no worse than the more expensive cars, I've owned well over 30 cars in 10 years, probably nearer 40 (and haven't bought any in the last 22 months).  :shocking:  Most reliable car I ever bought cost £750, had no service history and some questionable mods (such as 4 single LEDs in each bumper wired to the sidelights...no, I don't know why either!)...and no visible coolant, wasn't leaking, just had never been topped up, it had only been driven 2 miles to work and back each day in town traffic for the previous 4 years.  Of course, the only reason it survived that sort of abuse was because it was a basic, large, detuned, NA petrol engine...and ultimately, the petrol costs were the reason it had to go!  35mpg for 112bhp... :unsure: 

I posted the above post 3 months ago, and am still no closer to make a decision on a 'new' car. :sad:  Due to some dodgy innards I need a very smooth ride, which rules out anything smaller than a Focus, and anything on sports suspension or with low profile tyres (so no STLX!).  I'm looking at a budget just scraping 5 figures...so can't afford a new Focus or Leon seeing as those come in around £23k each for the midrange models...  I'd also like something interesting enough to take to meets to try and talk to real people again...there's one coming up less than a mile from my flat next month but I can hardly turn up in a scruffy comfort spec diesel Golf! :ermm:  

Slightly gone off on a tangent there but if anyone knows of a ~50% discount on new cars I'd be very interested! :laugh: 

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

In fairness, I have had some cheap runarounds that were no worse than the more expensive cars, I've owned well over 30 cars in 10 years, probably nearer 40 (and haven't bought any in the last 22 months).  :shocking:  Most reliable car I ever bought cost £750, had no service history and some questionable mods (such as 4 single LEDs in each bumper wired to the sidelights...no, I don't know why either!)...and no visible coolant, wasn't leaking, just had never been topped up, it had only been driven 2 miles to work and back each day in town traffic for the previous 4 years.  Of course, the only reason it survived that sort of abuse was because it was a basic, large, detuned, NA petrol engine...and ultimately, the petrol costs were the reason it had to go!  35mpg for 112bhp... :unsure: 

I posted the above post 3 months ago, and am still no closer to make a decision on a 'new' car. :sad:  Due to some dodgy innards I need a very smooth ride, which rules out anything smaller than a Focus, and anything on sports suspension or with low profile tyres (so no STLX!).  I'm looking at a budget just scraping 5 figures...so can't afford a new Focus or Leon seeing as those come in around £23k each for the midrange models...  I'd also like something interesting enough to take to meets to try and talk to real people again...there's one coming up less than a mile from my flat next month but I can hardly turn up in a scruffy comfort spec diesel Golf! :ermm:  

Slightly gone off on a tangent there but if anyone knows of a ~50% discount on new cars I'd be very interested! :laugh: 

Yeah I know it was an oldish thread, I'm a bit bored at work and trawling though sticking my nose in 😎 How about a Citroen DS5?  One of the most comfortable cars I've ever had was an old BX, I'd like to think the DS5 being the luxury(ish) one would have a nice smooth ride. I considered one before I got my STLX but they stopped making them in 2015 and I wanted something up to 2 or 3 years old at the most. And wow 40 cars in 10 years, I've had 10 in 37!

I must say I'm not hopeful that a modern tech laden car will last the 10 - 12 years I normally keep them for but we'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frowma said:

Yeah I know it was an oldish thread, I'm a bit bored at work and trawling though sticking my nose in 😎 How about a Citroen DS5?  One of the most comfortable cars I've ever had was an old BX, I'd like to think the DS5 being the luxury(ish) one would have a nice smooth ride. I considered one before I got my STLX but they stopped making them in 2015 and I wanted something up to 2 or 3 years old at the most. And wow 40 cars in 10 years, I've had 10 in 37!

I must say I'm not hopeful that a modern tech laden car will last the 10 - 12 years I normally keep them for but we'll see how it goes.

Yeah, I want something under 3 years old as well really.  That way everything that I find broken after purchase can be fixed under manufacturer warranty and I can have the next few years of trouble free motoring...  In theory at least! :laugh: 

Most reliable car of the last couple of years - Peuguot.  Who'd have thunk?  And they do some good looking cars.

It's an interesting one.  I pay 300 a month for the Focus, the idea being to change it every 2 years.  But right now there is NO car Ford make that I want, apart from perhaps the 190bhp Mondeo diesel Vignale auto.  Which would cost a fortune to PCP, up my payments to 400 which is mad.  300 is mad enough but I do it so I can get warranty etc and not pay for servicing or consumables if I time it right.  But if Ford don't bring out a Focus auto with decent poke then I'm stuck.

Add to that that it is very likely my annual mileage is going to drop considerably, I work in IT and the way we work will never be the same since Covid.  I might only be in the office 1-2 days a week.  

So I'm thinking, what's the point of paying massive PCP prices, especially for a car I don't really want.  I've been looking at Mazda approved Mx-5s.  8-9k can get you a 5 or 6 year old 2.0, with a year's warranty and say 40-60000 on the clock.  These things go on forever if you look after them.  You can get satnav and bluetooth but none of the driver assistance crap I really don't want.  What a great car it would be for my 12 mile trip to work.  Decent power, rwd, lsd.  What's not to like?

54 minutes ago, Frowma said:

Don't get me started on Dogs. Our haven't been in this one at all since day 1 ( Last September) 

We now use the travelling vet instead but I still find dog hairs in the car when it gets cleaned.

27 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

But if Ford don't bring out a Focus auto with decent poke then I'm stuck.

I've got the 1.5 Petrol Auto and it has really good poke, as it's the same engine as the Fiesta ST it'll handle some more tuning, both Pumaspeed and Mountune do plug in tuning boxes that apparently take it up to 220ish from the standard 182. I'm really enjoying the way it drives (only had it for 4 weeks) and it really does take off like a scalded cat when you floor it. Got excellent mid range poke for doing the odd 70+ overtakes on the motorway autobahn.

With your reduced mileage a diesel wouldn't be a sensible choice.

Of course they don't make it any more so you'd have to get a used one, there are plenty of the ford direct site at the moment.

Here are all the 1.5 Auto petrols on FD, all with less than 10k

Yes, it's quite nippy midrange, I have the 182 auto too.  I am in a PCP deal from new, and put some cash in so to have to walk away would be annoying as I'd lose that capital investment.  The whole idea was to have a new car with no repair cost worries and change every 2 years before the service.

I just hope Ford see sense and sort a decent engine into the Focus, even a hybrid with decent power otherwise I'll cut my losses and run.

I know, first world problems 😁

16 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Yes, it's quite nippy midrange, I have the 182 auto too.  I am in a PCP deal from new, and put some cash in so to have to walk away would be annoying as I'd lose that capital investment.  The whole idea was to have a new car with no repair cost worries and change every 2 years before the service.

I just hope Ford see sense and sort a decent engine into the Focus, even a hybrid with decent power otherwise I'll cut my losses and run.

I know, first world problems 😁

Ah, I get ya, yes, when it comes to a replacement you're pretty much stuffed. If you want a powerful Auto Focus it's the ST or nothing. Unless of course as you say, they decide to bring out a more powerful hybrid.