Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flashing Engine management light and fault codes

chousaru

Hi all
Purchased a second hand 2013 1.3 KA a couple of months ago, has been fine until yesterday when the engine management light started flashing and went into limp mode on the motorway, the light eventually stopped and went away but it carried on in limp although thankfully i was at a junction so i managed to get off and get safe. I shut the engine off and gave it a minute or so before trying again. No lights this time, i managed to get to my destination and get back with no issues (I took the longer way home and avoided motorways just in case)

It's still under a 3 month warranty but they're closed due to all this Covid-19 madness and wont reopen until 1st June at the earliest, warranty runs out 2nd. I've had a diagnostic test run at a local garage and they pulled up

P0300

P0302

P0303

They suggested its leads, plugs and  coil pack to be sure but looking at the service history these were all changed 7 months ago or 1400miles, i can't see them failing in that time.

Any ideas? I don't want risk using it now and either break down somewhere, blow the engine or ruin the cat

The question is, what did they replace the parts with? Cheap aftermarket/Chinese stuff never lasts. 

• Like 1

fault codes are not dated, they can stay in the system for a long long time after the associated fault last occurred. whilst they might all be (but it might only be one) associated with latest problem, the fault codes should be cleared and then read again the moment the problem arises again to see what fault code appears. So it is useful to have a ELM327 Wifi fault code reader in your glove box that can be read with an android or apple phone.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, chousaru said:

Hi all
Purchased a second hand 2013 1.3 KA a couple of months ago, has been fine until yesterday when the engine management light started flashing and went into limp mode on the motorway, the light eventually stopped and went away but it carried on in limp although thankfully i was at a junction so i managed to get off and get safe. I shut the engine off and gave it a minute or so before trying again. No lights this time, i managed to get to my destination and get back with no issues (I took the longer way home and avoided motorways just in case)

It's still under a 3 month warranty but they're closed due to all this Covid-19 madness and wont reopen until 1st June at the earliest, warranty runs out 2nd. I've had a diagnostic test run at a local garage and they pulled up

P0300

P0302

P0303

They suggested its leads, plugs and  coil pack to be sure but looking at the service history these were all changed 7 months ago or 1400miles, i can't see them failing in that time.

Any ideas? I don't want risk using it now and either break down somewhere, blow the engine or ruin the cat

Sounds identical to the problem I am having on a 2013 KA.

Coil pack was changed - same problem

Ford garage 1 said PCU could have been "spiked" and suggested new PCU and coil pack - I declined their £1200 quote and got a reconditioned PCU (from the ecu doctor) and changed the coil pack to a Ford version - Same problem.

Ford garage 2 suggested new catalyst and when that didn't work they suggested a new engine! - I declined their offer and refused the new cat.

The next thing I am trying is to reset the PCM and do a "phonic wheel re-learn" which I haven't heard of until today (see: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/86064-2013-ka-12-with-misfire-codes-p0300-p0301/page/2/  and https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/91258-phonic-wheel.html ) .

I tried resetting the PCM with by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes but the described sequence has not resolved the problem. However I believe that the fiat PCM used in the KA requires a diagnostic tool reset. So I will try again when the adapter arrives and will post an update.

I seem to be able to reproduce the fault by increasing rpm to above 4000 once engine is warm.

Fiesta 1.25 2004 petrol. I had a misfire on cyl no 2. Juddered during acceleration and idling. Code reader diagnose a misfire on cly no 2 p0302. I changed the plugs. Took out Bosch 1.3mm gap and put in ngk, which had a 1.0mm gap. It fixed the fault. I also changed the coil pack. Runs ok. The 1.0mm gap needs a spark of 3kv, the 1.3mm gap needed a spark of 3.9kv, which I think stressed the coil pack. I will be using a 1.0mm gap even though the manual says 1.3mm. 

The smaller gap uses a lower voltage spark, which stresses the coil pack less. The coil pack is driven by the ECU so there's less chance it might affect it. What gap did you use?

52 minutes ago, Kevin#95 said:

Fiesta 1.25 2004 petrol. I had a misfire on cyl no 2. Juddered during acceleration and idling. Code reader diagnose a misfire on cly no 2 p0302. I changed the plugs. Took out Bosch 1.3mm gap and put in ngk, which had a 1.0mm gap. It fixed the fault. I also changed the coil pack. Runs ok. The 1.0mm gap needs a spark of 3kv, the 1.3mm gap needed a spark of 3.9kv, which I think stressed the coil pack. I will be using a 1.0mm gap even though the manual says 1.3mm. 

The smaller gap uses a lower voltage spark, which stresses the coil pack less. The coil pack is driven by the ECU so there's less chance it might affect it. What gap did you use?

The spark plug gap was revised to 1.0mm a long time ago to reduce the stress on the coil pack. The trouble with a manual is you need to reprint it to update it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 9:48 PM, John Woff said:

Sounds identical to the problem I am having on a 2013 KA.

Coil pack was changed - same problem

Ford garage 1 said PCU could have been "spiked" and suggested new PCM and coil pack - I declined their £1200 quote and got a reconditioned PCU (from the ecu doctor) and changed the coil pack to a Ford version - Same problem.

Ford garage 2 suggested new catalyst and when that didn't work they suggested a new engine! - I declined their offer and refused the new cat.

The next thing I am trying is to reset the PCM and do a "phonic wheel re-learn" which I haven't heard of until today (see: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/86064-2013-ka-12-with-misfire-codes-p0300-p0301/page/2/  and https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/91258-phonic-wheel.html ) .

I tried resetting the PCM with by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes but the described sequence has not resolved the problem. However I believe that the fiat PCM used in the KA requires a diagnostic tool reset. So I will try again when the adapter arrives and will post an update.

I seem to be able to reproduce the fault by increasing rpm to above 4000 once engine is warm.

Update:

Much to my surprise and delight, the phonic wheel relearn has fixed the problem. I had to use diagnostic software to reset the PCM (disconnecting the battery did not seem to work for me).

I used multiEcuScan (MES) from http://www.multiecuscan.net/ and an OBDLink MX bluetooth adapter to reset the PCM followed by the relearn sequence.

You will need the licenced version of the software (50 Euro) but you can check compatibility with the free version to make sure it works first. (note as the KA II is a Fiat 500 engine and PCM, I had to select the car as a Fiat 500 in the software).

• 5 months later...

Had fault codes  plus going into limp mode post cam belt change. Carried out the phonic wheel re learn IAW  Technical: phonic wheel - The FIAT Forum. fixed the problem. I used the run engine until fan cuts in then ran to 5000 3 times procedure. Worth a try before taking to garage. 

• 1 year later...

Up date to my previous post last December. It didn't fix the issue as it came back earlier this year. I tried the mechanical phonic wheel reset again.  The faults remained when >4000 RPM. I bit the bullet and took it to an independent Ford Garage where they used the IDS to reprogram. This seems to have done the trick. It cost £75.   

• 10 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, chousaru said:

Hi all

P0300

P0302

P0303

Hi, I’ve got the exact same problem, I’ve replaced spark plugs, leads and coil pack but still got problem, did you have any luck finding out what the issue was?

many thanks

57 minutes ago, Jill Blackwood said:

Hi, I’ve got the exact same problem, I’ve replaced spark plugs, leads and coil pack but still got problem, did you have any luck finding out what the issue was?

many thanks

Read the replies you already have. Please don't just keep posting the same thing over again.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 10/23/2022 at 9:09 PM, Cragrat said:

See my last post. 10 months later still works as advertised.

Can I ask is IDS a diagnostic tool and did it do the  mechanical phonic wheel reset ?

23 minutes ago, Theshed said:

is IDS a diagnostic tool

Yes, but no tools or equipment required to do the phonic wheel reset.

See the link posted above by @Cragrat 20th Dec 2020, there in the Fiat forum it explains how to do the reset.

• Like 1

It took the IDS reset to fix mine. I tried to do it myself several times but the fault remained. It is still fine.

9 hours ago, Cragrat said:

It took the IDS reset to fix mine

Does the Fiat reset procedure not work ?

it didn't for me. I tried it 3 times in all using all the variants listed in the fiat post ie different rpm settings. Fortunately taking it to an independent local ford garage( Brakes of Ilminster) sorted it. 

• Like 1