Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Focus Help with Flat Battery

Nursetender

Looking for some help as the videos and threads for older models hont help me

I have a 68 plate Ford Focus that the battery has died on. I can access the drivers side door with the manual key (normally keyless) however cant open the passenger door (it doesnt have a pop off cover like older models) and its blocking the bonnet release.

The is no secondary lever that i can find, there is no swivel cover on the bonnet to open that with they key im hoping i am missing somethign really obvious or im missing something obvious

Open to any and all idea. thanks

• Sad 1

You mean the lever will not open the bonnet in this state? 

Yes, i cant pull the lever far enough for it to work as the door itself is in the way

I believe there is a catch situated somewhere behind the radiator grille...there was an identical post about this couple of weeks ago ...just trying to find it....stand by...

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/116512-help-please-dead-focus-mkiv-15-diesel-19-plate/?tab=comments#comment-820403

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Phil3747 said:

I believe there is a catch situated somewhere behind the radiator grille...there was an identical post about this couple of weeks ago ...just trying to find it....stand by...

Yeh that catch is the second phase after opening the bonnet to further open it. 

17 minutes ago, Nursetender said:

Yes, i cant pull the lever far enough for it to work as the door itself is in the way

I'm quite new to my car the g/f has opened the bonnet both times I have opened mines and not sure if she done it with the door open. 

Cheers ferretfloozy for finding it...this is the relevant bit...halfway down page 2...it's behind the bonnet release catch, not the radiator grille ..

A.A. patrolman turns up after just 15 minutes, he's seen the issue before & as stated by Alex & others there is indeed a securing clip lurking behind the release cover as shown in previous pictures uploaded by forum members, this clip is black & tiny, looks like an inverted '' L'' or a '' T '' without the left hand part of the top of the T, & sits flush with the top of the cover, so almost impossible to see, it functions a bit like a split pin, you need a small flat blade screwdriver inserted horizontally to lever the horizontal part of the L / T upwards, it needs complete removal & is likely to fall into the void where the bonnet release cover was, it is retrievable though. Then as previously mentioned use an appropriate sized socket & turn clockwise twice to pop the bonnet.

• Like 1

Right back outside i go to give it a go. Thanks folks thats incredibly useful will report back shortly

@F0CUE the MK3 bonnets can be opened with the passenger door closed, seems to be a silly design in the MK4.

Just now, dtulip8 said:

@F0CUE the MK3 bonnets can be opened with the passenger door closed, seems to be a silly design in the MK4.

Thanks for clearing that up m8. Yeh I guess they need to revise that design flaw 😂 

• Like 1

Awesome im in thanks all, appreciate the support!

Now to breathe..Ford garages i called had no clue!

• Like 1

For anyone else you can just see lever in the circle area

20200523_130745.jpg

• Like 2

Lesson learnt...dont let your car sit there for 8 weeks during a global pandemic 😀

14 minutes ago, Nursetender said:

Lesson learnt...dont let your car sit there for 8 weeks during a global pandemic 😀

If you only single lock it instead of double locking I believe that you can open the other doors from the inside once you have opened the drivers door with the key. I have started to only single lock now after reading about other peoples problems.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I've opened it! you need to pull really hard twice enough to open the latch. Managed to do this while the alarm was going off early in the morning. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Easyjet said:

I've opened it! you need to pull really hard twice enough to open the latch. Managed to do this while the alarm was going off early in the morning. 

Well I'm sure we are all happy for you 🎉

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club